Robey Road Steamer - A steamy saga of masochism and scratching, THE SORDID CLIMAX!

Gorby

And now for something completely different….

Let me introduce you to what may, or may not be a Robey Road Steamer. To be honest, I'm not 100% sure myself. It's 1/48 and completely scratch-built (other than the driver who was originally a WWII tropical pilot).

A 'Road Steamer' is a class of vehicle that I wasn't previously aware of. They were a development of the very early Traction Engines - pretty much, the first trucks. This one is loosely based on the original Robey Steamer which first trundled the British roads in 1870. Its main innovation was the solid rubber blocks on the wheels which meant it didn't damage road surfaces and gave it much more traction than other competing steamers, allowing it to pull up to 30 tons.

I'll start by lining up my pathetic excuses. Get ready….

This may not be the most historically accurate model in the history of the universe, I scoured t'internet and only found about a dozen or so pictures of the vehicle in question, and ALL of them are different. We aren't talking minor differences, they all show major variations. Part of the reason for the differences is probably because this is long before mass production. Each of these vehicles was individually made, possibly for a specific job. Their working life may have been measured in decades, so they could possibly have been altered at some point. Another possible reason for some of the variation could be due to artistic licence, as most of the reference pics are engravings.

I believe this is the first model ever attempted of it – I wonder why?

as a result, I'm going to have to bill this one as 'In the flavour of….'. The alternative would be to suggest that this is entirely accurate to the last detail – but only in the reality that I alone inhabit (Gorbyopolis – where the sky isn't so high, the rabbits smell of purple and not a lot makes sense – but quite nice really (if you ignore the marauding swarms of brackets)). So if you see something and think "That doesn't look like the original picture", you'll have to accept that I've seen that element in a different picture. Honest – would I lie to you? (under no circumstances should you attempt to answer that with any degree of honesty!)

Anyway, enough excuses, if you've manage to get this far without falling asleep – well done!

The original engraving that started the trouble (Don't forget, I'm not going for a straight copy of the original engraving. For example, the steering wheel size has been taken from three other illustrations.):

682240-20442-82.jpg

682231-20442-59.jpg

No teddy bears were harmed in the making of the steam (sorry, that's a lie).

682232-20442-11.jpg

682233-20442-70.jpg

682234-20442-39.jpg      682235-20442-56.jpg

682236-20442-96.jpg

682237-20442-15.jpg

Coal shovel, or as I like to call it “the fuel injection system”.

682238-20442-27.jpg

Plenty of bone-mangling action. Elf and safely wasn't really a thing in 1870.

682239-20442-97.jpg

Thanks for having a look and if you've any interest in the build report (warning: there is weirdness):

• Like 43

My gosh... what a splendid infernal device. I don’t know (or care) about whether it’s accurate or not: it looks like it’s chugged in from a steampunk convention, and none the worse for that! Excellent work! It looks like it could do with a horny handed son of toil (or a Pratchetty dwarf) on the platform at the back, stoking madly...

best,

M.

• Haha 2

What a wonderful machine you've created. Looks like the driver is enjoying himself, top hat and all. And you are a great entertainer sir, your stories have added to the model as well as far as I'm concerned.

• Thanks 1

Brilliant - that's very cool! And fun!

3 hours ago, Gorby said:

This may not be the most historically accurate model in the history of the universe,

On the other hand it just might be - who knows?!

Great modelling Gorby!

Keith

• Thanks 1

Very nice model of an unusual subject. The four cylinders look like two 'high' and two low, by the mid nineteenth century steam engines generated more power using the residual pressure from what passed at that time as a high pressure cylinder to drive a lower pressure cylinder, thus extracting more work from a given amount of steam. Marine engines used a triple expansion system with three cylinders and some locos used a double compound system with two low and two high pressure cylinders. 

Edited by Mr T
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Very nicely done - even if it's not totally accurate it is totally believable and I can just imagine that trundling down some Victorian street. Oddly, just like Pete, my first thought on seeing it was 'Steampunk'... :)

28 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Can't find Gorbyopolis on Google maps. Mind you, I can't find Funkytown either.

It's there ;) Google Maps wouldn't let me post the link, but here it is...

1 The Shires, Moss Lane, Moore WA4 6UN

• Haha 2

Now that makes a refreshing change! Not sure anyone could seriously challenge you on the accuracy and does it really matter?

Looks the part, and the driver is very convincing in his Victorian pose as if one of them new fangled photographer people is recording him for posterity.

• Thanks 1

Oh poop and bottom !!

Has this build finished  already ??????

I was so enjoying watching the construction of this fascinating and unusual vehicle, the thought that went into it and the self effacing running commentary.

I believe you should now start on the "steam bus", Gorby............

Off to re-read the build thread again and enjoy another couple of chuckles !

Rog

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My gob is well and truly smacked by the response to my little Robey!:blush:  A big thank you to @CrazyCrank, @cmatthewbacon, @JeroenS, @keefr22, @bhouse, @Bengalensis, @Mr T@Pete in Lincs@Spiny, @Kiwidave4@s.e.charles, @Murdo, @dnl42, @roginoz, @Moa and everyone who has 'liked' or just looked.

I would say the cheques in the post I can't afford all that flattery – you'll have to accept an IOU. 

Thanks for comments, likes etc. mates. I really enjoyed this build when I eventually got into the swing of it and I'm wondering what's next. I had got something lined up but I'm not sure I'm in the mood for it now.

As the youngsters of this confusing world would say, “Just for :poop:'s and giggles” (although I've no idea why the yoof wouldsay something like that due to me being an old git) I've photified Robey with my last build. As they sit at opposite ends of the spectrum they look somewhat incongruous together.

IMG_0927.JPG

I also thought I'd give you an idea of it's size (I'm not saying what scale the hand is in though).

IMG_0933.JPG

12 hours ago, Mr T said:

Very nice model of an unusual subject. The four cylinders look like two 'high' and two low, by the mid nineteenth century steam engines generated more power using the residual pressure from what passed at that time as a high pressure cylinder to drive a lower pressure cylinder, thus extracting more work from a given amount of steam. Marine engines used a triple expansion system with three cylinders and some locos used a double compound system with two low and two high pressure cylinders. 

Quite right. Part of my enjoyment building this thing is finding out how all this stuff worked, so when I'm transported back in time I'll probably still die in the gutter in abject poverty, but I'll be a much more informed corpse.

7 hours ago, roginoz said:

I believe you should now start on the "steam bus"

The original intention was to do the omnibus trailer as well, but I had a lie down and the feeling passed.

scotland-thomson-s-rd-ship-edinburgh-ant

7 hours ago, roginoz said:

Oh poop and bottom !!

Has this build finished  already ??????

The horror! :shocked: Are you that starved of entertainment down-under? You could always read through my other builds – but think what it would cost in psychotherapy sessions!

Thanks again - Gorby :thumbsup:

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Gorby said:

As the youngsters of this confusing world would say, “Just for ***** and giggles” (although I've no idea why the yoof wouldsay something like that due to me being an old git) I've photified Robey with my last build. As they sit at opposite ends of the spectrum they look somewhat incongruous together.

IMG_0927.JPG

This looks like something out of a wonderful early 70s scifi. Could you find a 1/48th Peter Cushing or Doug McClure?

• Like 1

A marvellous little model,i like the omnibus trailer , if these had taken off the  planet would have been warming up at a much more alarming rate, and there would still be plenty of deep mines still open to fuel the contraptions

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Fabulous! I do hope he had a crewman to work the fuel injection system as it looks to be rather a hazardous route from where he is!

I also assume that this was in use before they had much experience of what an exploding boiler could do!

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Fabulous! I do hope he had a crewman to work the fuel injection system as it looks to be rather a hazardous route from where he is!

I also assume that this was in use before they had much experience of what an exploding boiler could do!

Thanks Ian.  :thumbsup2:

I would have loved to have a stoker but I'm a bit short of suitable figures, or more accurately my suitable figures are a bit short. Having said that, they would probably have had an eight year old doing the coal shovelling.

If the boiler had exploded, he probably wouldn't know much about it - maybe I should have left the parachute on the driver after all. Personally if I was desperate enough to get on the omnibus trailer, I'd probably take a seat at the back. :huh:

• Like 1