1/48 Academy F4j Phantom- Jolly Rogers

Antb

Hi folks, 

Finished this one a week or so ago, have been waiting for decent weather to get some outdoor shots, but it's hammered down everyday! 

I've had to photograph with the lamp so photos aren't great I'm afraid. But wanted to share and will get better photos once the weather improves. 

Not a bad kit overall, and was quite enjoyable throughout. I usually build gear down and bought aftermarket belts and wheels but fancied something different. 

The plane is painted with Mr Hobby aqueuous (which I love) and tamiya acrylics. 

Weathered using the salt technique top and bottom, flory models dark dirt and a touch of oils but not too much. 

The decals went down really well and there were no issues there at all. The only problem I had was the fact that the instructions don't match the plane in terms of panel lines etc. Bit annoying. 

The base I made myself. 

Hope the pictures show the subtle patchiness i was going for on the top. 

I'd appreciate tips where I can improve. 

Cheers 

20191214-102016.jpg

20191214-102024.jpg

20191214-102034.jpg

20191214-102042.jpg

20191214-102051.jpg

20191214-102110.jpg

20191214-102123.jpg

20191214-102133.jpg

20191214-102139.jpg

20191214-102153.jpg

20191214-102226.jpg

20191214-102235.jpg

• Like 48

Thanks for the kind words everyone! I did notice in the pics the surface wasn't smooth and the flat coat looked a bit of a mess. So have spent the last hour sorting that out, light sand etc. 

47 minutes ago, Sleepwalker said:

Excellent. Rare example of the aeroplane in flight configuration. One minus is lack of the crew...

I was hoping no one would notice 🤣

What happened on that front was a late decision to have her in flight and the crew wouldn't fit in the cockpit. They need adding at the start of the cockpit build as the pit is built around them. 

44 minutes ago, billn53 said:

Gorgeous!  I’m currently building Zoukei Mura’s F-4J and plan to do the Academy Phantom next. Is there anything I should be on the lookout for?

- Bill

Fanks Bill. 

Nothing really the kit goes together quite well. The only thing that is a bit of trouble is the underside front connection into the main underside piece. Not very well explained I know! 

Basically the attachment point is rubbish. And it's a bit tricky. I'd attach the front portion to the fuselage first to get a good bond if I did another one. 

Oh, and beware of the mid fuselage bomb rack if you use that. There are no locating or attachment points it's a flat piece.... I wanted to use it but opted for the centre line tank instead as far simpler. 

Enjoy the build it is a good kit 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, nancho said:

I really like your job! well done!

Regards from Mendoza, Argentina

4 hours ago, phildagreek said:

Nice!

Thanks very much 😁