1/48 Tamiya P-51D as RAF KH727

MiGFan79

• 1 month later...

As detailed in my B/C build thread i've not been as active as i hoped getting these built!

Anyone familiar with this kit will be aware it's not that taxing to build, in fact building it alongside an ICM Mustang makes the build experience even more pleasurable!

Interior Green (Alclad) sprayed, Eduard Zoom etch fitted -

49477109091_25949a18da_k.jpg

Fuselage halves joined and wings in place to check fit - no major issues.

49479179182_3345418fbc_k.jpg

49478475793_9bb5794ed6_k.jpg

As per the B/C build i plan to forge ahead with getting the joints fettled and wings / tail fitted over the coming week and get it to a state where I can think about paint. It's nice that there isn't lots of ordanance and other fripperies to worry about compared to the average 1/48 Jet!

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Ok i've been jumping on this as and when i could find time. My intention is to push to get this one done for the end of the group build and finish my B/C later for a standard RFI.

Rest of airframe assembled and primed / given a coat of rattle can black.

49606475507_630835e77a_k.jpg

I sprayed the wings and rudder with Alclad aluminium which went down pretty well. However I struggled with the Alclad chrome, it went down ok but left dull cloudy patches for reasons i cannot fathom (tried two different bottles as well). In desperation I went with some Plastikote rattle can chrome, which gave reasonable results. It's not given a silky smooth finish but it's workable and i think contrasts quite well with the aluminium.

49606231401_938bd262b1_h.jpg

49605721073_83c3cf3383_h.jpg

It's not likely to win anything at IPMS but it's not too bad and I reckon i have a chance to get it over the line before the deadline.

• Like 7

To be honest, the more I read about other modellers experiences with Alclad, the more I am convinced to never bother with it.

AW

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Andwil said:

To be honest, the more I read about other modellers experiences with Alclad, the more I am convinced to never bother with it.

AW

Initially I had zero issues with them, super easy to use, but this issue with the chrome had me vexed as I have no idea what caused it. The aluminium sprayed fine and there’s a small block of camo on the tail which I’m hoping will be ok in Alclad, but for large areas of chrome I think I’ll go back to Gunze SM or a rattle can.

20 hours ago, Andwil said:

the more I am convinced to never bother with it.

9 hours ago, gingerbob said:

Same here!

Ditto. I passed on my thoughts to a mate who swears by it. He tells me, it's 90% preparation; buff your pre metallic layers to a nice shine. 

Stuart

Looking very nice MiGFan79. I'm an Alclad user, best there is for NMF - if it goes right! Will be spraying Alclad Aluminium on my 1/72 Airfix P-51D shortly, all this doom and gloom is making me nervous! Best wishes for the rest of the build.

Bit of progress, got the random camo patch on the tail and the anti glare panel painted.

49623265008_e5ee3d3645_h.jpg

49623782056_6aec6176a0_h.jpg

So.... left to do.

Paint undercarriage legs and wheels.

Paint propeller blades

Decals

Mask and paint front canopy

Final assembly

Things are tight now but hopeful i can get it over the line for the 15th.....

• Like 6

Decals on tonight. The Xtradecal set went down really nicely, i had some issues with the same set in 1:72nd where Microsol turned the decals cloudy but no issues here, settle down well. Unfortunately the stencils off the Tamiya sheet are well gone and refused to budge, the broke up, so the finished product will be short of some stencilling but I don't have time to sort that now!

49645728577_8a76a14a33_h.jpg

Next couple of nights i aim to blitz painting the landing gear and prop blades then it's hopefully just final assembly.

• Like 7

Excellent job! Talk about a sprint finish 😁

Sorry to hear about your struggles with the Alclad Chrome...I'm actually going the other way and returning to using Alclad because nothing beats that finish. Still, there's always the danger element where all your hours of surface prep can be ruined in one 15-minute spray session, but that's what modelling's all about, I suppose 😂

5 minutes ago, Alan P said:

Excellent job! Talk about a sprint finish 😁

Sorry to hear about your struggles with the Alclad Chrome...I'm actually going the other way and returning to using Alclad because nothing beats that finish. Still, there's always the danger element where all your hours of surface prep can be ruined in one 15-minute spray session, but that's what modelling's all about, I suppose 😂

Thanks Alan! Isn’t every spray session the precipice of destroying weeks of work??? I was really expecting one last disaster on this one. Will revisit Alclads in future, as you say they do give the most convincing results.

On 3/1/2020 at 11:17 PM, Andwil said:

On 3/2/2020 at 10:29 AM, gingerbob said:

Same here!

On 3/13/2020 at 6:22 PM, MiGFan79 said:

Will revisit Alclads in future, as you say they do give the most convincing results

I have to agree with MiGFan79. Alclad does give a great NMF finish. The best I've found so far. But it can be tricky.

Alclad recommend primers before using their NMF finishes, but I don't agree. Many of the problems I've seen here on BM seem to relate to primers. I've tried Alclad's grey microfiller primer which (in my opinion) ruins the final finish. It does its job, but dulls down the lovely smooth Alclad sheen and adds granularity. I've also tried their Gloss Black Base, which is fine until you try to mask the final NMF paint (e.g. Aluminium) applied on top of it. The Aluminium rips right off even with low tack masking tape because the black base is so smooth that it has no key to hold it. The best results I've had is applying the Alclad NMF to the clean and smooth plastic of the kit, but even doing it that way can give you problems with seam lines and areas where you've rubbed plastic or filler down. Alclad is so thin it is completely unforgiving and shows every flaw. A rub down with 1200 (or finer) wet and dry is usually successful. I want to try the Mr Surfacer 1200 primer and Ak Xtreme Metallic Aluminium that @Rod The Fixer used on his excellent 1/48 Airfix F-51D.

Cheers,