F6F-5 Hellcat, Flottille 12 F-PA Arromanches, Indochina 1953

1 hour ago, ForestFan said:

Great job again! Go on, tell us how you achieved the exhaust staining....

Thanks FF, glad you like it 🙂, the exhaust stains were done by `stippling` some medium grey on in the req`d pattern using a flat stiffish brush with the bristles cut a bit short and then dragging it back as the paint was used up in the bristles, then some light olive drab on a smaller area, then tan and then black last of all.

Hope that makes sense, Cheers Russ

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, IanC said:

One of your best ever Russ. Beautifully photographed as usual.

Whose GSB did you use? Or was it a home brew..? 

Ian

Thanks Ian,

Glad you like it. For the GSB I mixed Humbrol Gloss Blue 15 and some Gloss Black. No particular proportions, I just kept adding black until it looked about right.

Cheers Russ

On 12/14/2019 at 9:59 AM, 72modeler said:

BTW- that external tank was a Douglas 150-gallon tank, IIRC, and came into use immediately postwar, so is correct for your Hellcat; I doubt there were any of the WW2 era Hellcat drop tanks still available with the fairing between the tank and the fuselage. I think I recall @Tailspin Turtle doing these tanks on one of his outstanding Tailhook Topics blogs. The same tank was used on F8F's, F-7F's, F4U's, and F9F-5P's, to name a few.

Mike  

F6F Belly Tank Post: https://tailhooktopics.blogspot.com/2019/09/grumman-f6f-hellcat-belly-tank.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Amazing.  You've managed to avoid slopping gray paint into every panel line and unrealistically lightening the center of each panel.  Result?  A masterpiece of realistic weathering.  😀  Well done, my man!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Russ, 

French Aeronavale at its most heroic, trying to stop the unstoppable.

Your Hellcat is perfection, and the French roundels add a definite cachet to the finished model. This is one aircraft where one can  go to town with the weathering and paint chipping, as some F6F were really the worst for wear in the Indochina's climate.

Congrats on a job superbly done!

JR

• Thanks 1