RNZAF P-51D Mustang

FortyEighter

This will be one of two entries that I intend to make for this GB.  Mustang Mk. IV NZ2419 of 2 (Wellington) Squadron late 1940s / early 1950s.

20191213_160715

I'll be using a Tamiya 1/48 kit, Eduard cockpit etch and national markings from Xtradecals.  I also have a set of Quickboost resin flaps which may get used and have just received a Brassin uncuffed Hamilton propeller - hopefully this will fit the Tamiya kit even if designed for the Eduard version.

See you all with some progress next week!

Mike

Edited by FortyEighter
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 12/14/2019 at 5:34 AM, FortyEighter said:

Mustang Mk. IV NZ2419 of 2 (Wellington) Squadron late 1940s / early 1950s.

Hi Mike,

The Mk IV designation was never used on our RNZAF P51's.

They arrived too late for combat operations (meant to replace the

war weary Corsairs).

All the Mustangs were cocooned for storage, early 1946 and most were not brought out

of Storage till circa 1950-52 (your build 1952), and retired Mid 1950 to late 50's

All the Mustangs belonged to  one of 4 Territorial Squadrons of the Territorial Air Force (TAF)

(National Guard for our US colleagues) where they only really flew on the Weekends.

Some were assigned to RNZAF 42 Sqn Ohakea for Fighter Affiliation/Drogue Towing etc.

NZ4219 was assigned to 2 Wellington Sqn TAF

The Checkerboard colours were to represent the Provincial Rugby Colours,

No. 1 Sqn Auckland (Blue/White)

No. 2 Sqn Wellington (Gold/Black),

No. 3 Sqn Canterbury (Red/Black)

No. 4 Sqn Otago (Blue/Gold (or Yellow))

Look forward to how your build progresses.

I have a P51D underway (NZ2413) (too far along for this Group build), of No. 1 Auckland Sqn TAF

Regards

Alan

• Like 5

9 hours ago, LDSModeller said:

The Mk IV designation was never used on our RNZAF P51's.

They arrived too late for combat operations (meant to replace the

war weary Corsairs).

Hi Alan,

Thanks for your informative reply.  My own research had confirmed most of your post but I had missed the designation of your Mustangs (and must admit that I took the Mk. IV from the decal sheet!).  I've since found the description "P-51D-30-NT" for this aircraft - do you agree with that?

Also, do you know if NZ2419 had puttied wing seams?  I've filled them but can easily swap for the other kit's wings which haven't been filled yet.

Regards

Mike

2 hours ago, FortyEighter said:

Hi Alan,

Thanks for your informative reply.  My own research had confirmed most of your post but I had missed the designation of your Mustangs (and must admit that I took the Mk. IV from the decal sheet!).  I've since found the description "P-51D-30-NT" for this aircraft - do you agree with that?

Also, do you know if NZ2419 had puttied wing seams?  I've filled them but can easily swap for the other kit's wings which haven't been filled yet.

Hi Mike,

Looking through my RNZAF references, our Mustangs are really only referred to

as P51D's or by RNZAF Serial  and the occasional US BuerNo.. (early on, some still did wear the

US BuerNo. on the Tail fin (circa 1945-46))

Books like Southern Cross Mustangs (David Muir) may have better information.

Looking at Joe Bauers Website, it appears your particular P51D is a P51D-25-NT.

As to your question about the puttied wing seams, yes they did. Caveat to that is though,

during their brief operational life, when/if the putty became chipped/loose/fell out, it was not replaced

(Got that info from someone who worked on them)

Regards

Alan

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, LDSModeller said:

Looking at Joe Bauers Website, it appears your particular P51D is a P51D-25-NT.

Hi Alan

I've been doing some more research on this aircraft.  All websites seem to agree that it was originally 45-11509 BUT websites listing variants against serial numbers disagree and some have this airframe as a 25-NT and some as a 30-NT.

Guess I'll just stick with P-51D.

Mike

2 hours ago, FortyEighter said:

I've been doing some more research on this aircraft.  All websites seem to agree that it was originally 45-11509 BUT websites listing variants against serial numbers disagree and some have this airframe as a 25-NT and some as a 30-NT.

Hi Mike

Phillip Treweek (Kiwi Aircraft Images) puts the RNZAF versions as  30-NT

P51D Kiwi Aircraft Images

I have noted on occasion, Joe Bauer's site has used RNZAF info, so, perhaps a

check with the RNZAF Museum might of use to check what records they have of

the correct designation?

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Whoops, hadn't realised that it was so long since my last post nor that I didn't take any photos during the build phase - sorry Patrice!

Anyway this is where it is at today:

20200307_151725

The last two weeks have had setbacks with the metal finish:

I originally used Alclad chrome on the fuselage but couldn't get a decent finish (and I have used the paint successfully before).

So, Plan B was to use Humbrol "rattle" chrome - a good finish but badly marked by the masking tape applied before using Humbrol silver on the wings.

Plan C reversed the order of spraying as the silver wasn't affected by masking tape (which was stuck to my clean cutting mat first to reduce the stickiness) - success!

The difference in the two shades is easy to see on the elevators, rudder and wing to fuselage joint.

Most of the smaller parts are painted and should be attached tomorrow.  Providing there is no issue with masking the chrome for the anti-glare panel, this might just get over the line by the deadline.

Mike

• Like 8

I'm declaring this as finished but am not happy with the final finish, particularly as the masking tape has again lifted some paint this evening (though I could argue that the anti-glare pabel is just weather worn!.  The upper wing roundels aren't in the correct position but to change that I need to get some more decals - they didn't want to settle down over the actuators and using Microsol only encouraged the red part of the roundels to leach into the white.

Pictures as it is in the Gallery and a few more below:

20200315_202247

20200315_201921

20200315_214509

Mike

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Alan P said:

Shame about those niggling problems but the finish is absolutely superb 👍

Thanks Alan,

I'm going to come back to this model (and the other which wasn't finished) later in the year.  Don't know why I had problems with the metallic finish or masking tape lifting paint - in last year's dedicated 1/72 Mustang build everything worked fine!

Meanwhile it's back to grey jets...…...

Mike

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, FortyEighter said:

Thanks Alan,

I'm going to come back to this model (and the other which wasn't finished) later in the year.  Don't know why I had problems with the metallic finish or masking tape lifting paint - in last year's dedicated 1/72 Mustang build everything worked fine!

Meanwhile it's back to grey jets...…...

Mike

GREY JETS ROOOOOL

😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1