Airfix's 1/48 Spitfire FR XIVe 'Bubbletop' completed!

Here's my Airfix 1/48 Spitfire FR XIVe, completed as a 402 Squadron (RCAF) machine, March, 1945.  As I understand it, 402 was one of two Squadron's to operate the "bubbletop" before the end of the war in Europe.  I found the Airfix kit to be good, but required careful assembly and a fair amount of shimming. The paints I used are Tamiya acrylic, weathering with Humbrol enamels and pastels, and the decals are a mix of XtraDecal codes, Aviaeology serials, and Barracuda stencils.

I'm quite happy with the result, and I hope you like,

Colin

Image3

Image1

Image4

Image5

Image8

Image10

Image14

Image15

Image17

Image20

Image24

Image30

Image33

Spitfire-14-402sqdn-AEC

Image1

Link to my accompanying "Highback" build - 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235064455-148-spitfire-f-xive-highback-402-squadron-rcaf-march-1945/

Edited by Tail-Dragon
  • Like 58
  • Thanks 1

• Tail-Dragon changed the title to Airfix's 1/48 Spitfire FR XIVe 'Bubbletop' completed!
6 hours ago, nancho said:

Good job!! It looks great. Can you tell me what Tamiya colours you used for the camo? Thanks in advance.

Regards from Mendoza, Argentina.

Hernan

Thanks!  I used Tamiya acrylics XF81 Dark green, XF82 Ocean grey and XF83 Medium sea grey. They were 'Futured' for decaling, then overcoated with Tamiya XF86 Flat clear. As a final 2 steps, the decals and the camo were faded with various light grey and tan pastel chalks and then over sprayed with the XF86 again. ( I always try to faded the decals with light/dark grey and tan pastels chalks, as right off the sheet, the colors are too bright and intense, dulling them down with pastels makes them almost fade into the background and look part of the paintjob)