AZ P-51C Mustang Fuerza Aerea Dominicana 1/72

RidgeRunner

She arrived today :) so. She is the "dorsal fin" version (which I need) that has the Malcolm hood. this is oficially my second entry for the STGB. All I need now is the other AZ kit (with the standard canopy) and I can get started. So, if there is anyone out there who is intersted is an AZ P-51B (Swiss limited edition) and a Malcolm hood just let me know by PM. If not I'll stick her on Ebay.

I wont be starting her until early January.

Martin

53 minutes ago, Courageous said:

:doh:...and their was me hoping for some ideas to help me with mine.

Stuart

Well, it'll be a new kit for me too Stuart so let's work together on them? Now I'm tempted to get the box open! ;)

M

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Courageous said:

Getonwithit! :poke:

If you can work out where parts 8 & 9 in step 6 go, let me know...

Stuart.

Well, Stuart. I have opened the box, assembled the cockpit (sans seat) and now she is lined up for a coat of interior green :). 

My step 6 is the assembly of the cockpit. No 8 & 9 shown :(. From the parts diagream they are the tail wheel doors.

Martin

• Thanks 1

Having got back from the kitchen (my paint bench :) ) the various parts are nicely green. I used Colourcoats Interior Green. It went on beautifully and leaves nice crisp details. I now realise that the filleted-fin is an extra and so I need to get our my razor saw to lop of the rear section of the standard fuselage. Later .... So far my impressions of the kit are good. It is detailed (accurate?) and comes together nicely. Having only built Airfix and Hasegawa Mustangs before I was a bit apprehensive but I didn't have been. It has been fine .... so far!

By the end of the week I hope to have this and the F-51D detailed  so that I can then bring the fuselage halves of each together. :)

P-51B cockpit paint

Martin

• Like 3

As I've asid in my FAG build thread, I managed to get some detailing done today. Thereafter it was the task of taking a razor saw to the rear end ready to fit the filleted tail. Like the F-51D I have got as far as closing the fuselage. Its a bit more challenging than the Tamiya, which you can pretty much do blindfolded! The same comments on colours etc (as the F-51D) apply here ..... ;)

IMG_1320

IMG_1323

Martin

PS: you can see that I removed the seat as it wasn't set correctly. I'll add it later.

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 3

On 12/17/2019 at 12:12 PM, Courageous said:

my only query is whether their should be more boxes in the back

Hmmm..... not sure, Stuart. I've gone with the kit as you can see but then I often make the wrong decision! ;)

Martin

• Like 1

On 12/17/2019 at 6:12 AM, Courageous said:

my only query is whether their should be more boxes in the back

Maybe for a WW2 bird in England. But I'm thinking post war in use in a 3rd world setting, these either had newer radio’s installed before transfer. Or they had whatever the Dominican Republic could afford ?  

4 minutes ago, Wez said:

A Ridge Runner Latin American bird build - I'm pulling up a chair and sipping tequila or pisco for this one!

As you can see, Wez, I have two on the go, plus a load more in build here at home that I couldn't submit for the STGB because they are nearly complete! This P-51C will be "401" of the FAD. One day she'll be joined by F-51D "405" El Negrito.

Martin

• Like 2

While flipping through my Mustang decals yesterday, I came across Dominican markings for a D.  I lingered for a moment, but then continued on.  There were one or two attractive 8th AF Ds that began to whisper sweet nothings in my head, but we'll just see what happens.

• Like 2

Ah yes mate. One day I'll do a Ramfis Mustang. I have the decals. For now it'll be the C-model and El Negrito, both from an earlier time. My F-47D in Ramfis colours gave me a headache!

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

• 2 weeks later...

Just a very little time to get the tail on. I need it cured hard so that I can sand and shape it during the week. The KP/AZ idea of a separte tail is a bit crap. The refinement on the replacemrnt finned tail is not the same as the rest of the kit! Even so I've managed to ghet it attached and now she is resting with some sprue gloop to strengthen the joint... I hope!!!

01CE187E-7220-4E06-A3C8-1B81A9E81858

Meanwhile the lower wings are on etc. Not worth posting as others have posted the same.

Little steps!

Martin

I really must get some dusting done! ;)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Courageous said:

Of course they have, it's a Mustang STGB :coolio:!

Anyhoo, even though it's not a race, it's nice to see a little movement on the build.

Stuart

Thanks Stuart. It just seems boring to repeat a build sequence when others have covered it adequately, such as your good self, mate :).

I'm glad I got an hour today to get the back end onto this build. As I said, for anyone contemplating this kit with the filleted fin, the moulding for the replacement fin (with the fillet) is awful :(. As I said earlier, I've got the tail end changed and cemented, followed by a masking of the surrounding area and the application of some sprue gloop along the joint. Hopefully that will give it enough strength to resist my heavy-handed sanding in the coming week. 

That was about all I've had time for, sadly. Christmas, includIng my mother-in-law staying over for ..... a week (!!!) ..... is hitting my build plans hard. Aside from my two STGB builds I have two more Mustangs almost ready for RFI and a near complete UTI MiG-15 to work on. Mrs RR seems to have a list of things to do I'd apparently previously agreed to that is keepIng me from opening a kit box, raising a sanding stick or Putting the Swann Morton to good use. ..... Roll on the 6th January when SWMBO returns to work! Bless ......

Martin

• Like 1

13 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

It just seems boring to repeat a build sequence when others have covered it adequately, such as your good self, mate :)

I understand, but the rules of Group Builds include that you should do a BUILD thread, not just a "hey-presto!"  Everybody has their own experience, and everybody communicates in their own way, so you never know when you might show something that some other slacker like me learns from.  Besides, it is nice to see progress being made (which reminds me, didn't I say I was going to build a Mustang?)