Italeri 1/12th Alfa Romeo 8C 2300 Monza

nick

HI all, not really a WIP, just some shots of a half built model.

After a long break from modelling I fancied the newly released Alfa from Italeri.

It's OK. Fit is very good, sink marks not so good. Detail is pretty good too overall.

Anyway, here's where I'm up to:-

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

So far I've:- 

Drilled out all of the kit 'bolts' indistinct plastic blobs, and replaced them with proper resin items

Drilled out the core plugs, built up the outers and fitted brass core plugs

turned 4 ali filler caps for the rocker covers and 2 for the engine block

replaced the ignition leads with braided cord

scratch built clips for the distributor cap

scratch built air filter from PE mesh

scratch build braided lines and banjo connector for the oil pump.

added braided cable from the rocker covers to the bulkhead - rev counter I assume, although not sure why there would be two?

Lots of alcad and hopefully subtle washes, I'm going for old but not dirty which is tricky to pull off.

More to follow no doubt.

Eventually I think I will turn some proper wire wheels, and replace the kit leaf springs and dampers with something better -  but go with the kit items for now.

Thanks for looking,

Nick

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

certainly an improvement over the kit engine, and doubly so over inactivity at the hobby bench!

the patina you're after is so obvious on the lower end of the engine. the first thing I thought was " those cars must have had a 'wet-engine'".

Edited by s.e.charles

A bit more progress. The festive season is dead handy for getting ali sheet in the form of disposable turkey roasting tins - which is what my cockpit floor is made of :)

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Also had a general tidy up and worked on the chassis finish a little.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Bengalensis said:

Lovely work so far! I have this in my stash and looking forward to it. Are you going to make your own wheels or use the ones coming from Fernando Pinto, or something else?

I’m going to scratch build the wheels, I’ve got form with wire wheels I made these for my DR1 some years ago

spacer.png

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

OK Calling this done now:-

Quite like the kit, good overall fit and the proportions look right to me.

A few misses:-
The fuel tank is omitted completely, which I really should have done something about:-

49366209568_bebe0973ab_b.jpg

Cockpit floor was a weird made-up chequer plate affair:-

49359191316_a6287e99a6_b.jpg

that I replaced with plain ali sheet, as previously mentioned, not right either I know as it should have raised ribs, but still and improvement over the kit item :-

49229787156_e1b45c28eb_b.jpg

Quite a few ejector pin marks in tricky places, and areas of wooly detail, but overall pretty good.

Here's some shots of the finished model:-

49452895896_faac8ca1aa_b.jpg
49452416468_ed4154ace1_b.jpg
49452416463_a8b8ee74a8_b.jpg
49452416453_10e5fe23a5_b.jpg
49452385303_b0527be4e7_b.jpg

I may still have a go at making some wire wheels, haven't decided yet!

I have a MFH Brough Superior winging its to me as we speak, so stand by for the next major project!

regards,

Nick

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

That looks lovely!  I am really tempted by this kit now, even though I have nothing else in 1:12 scale...

4 hours ago, nick said:

The fuel tank is omitted completely, which I really should have done something about:-

Given the filler location, the tank is almost certainly located in the pointed tail above the chassis, which wasn't uncommon on racing cars of this era.

11 hours ago, Paul H said:

That looks lovely!  I am really tempted by this kit now, even though I have nothing else in 1:12 scale...

Given the filler location, the tank is almost certainly located in the pointed tail above the chassis, which wasn't uncommon on racing cars of this era.

Yes I know where it goes and even what it looks like, there is pretty much unlimited info on this car over on scale motor cars (go there at your peril, the stuff those boys make will make you weep and give up) I was basically too lazy to do anything about it.

This project was only ever really for the look of thing, so I didn't set out to be super accurate - that will be kit bashed Pocher or scratch version if I ever get round to either!

Apologies if I've misunderstood (thought you were meaning that the location was between the chassis rails behind the axle), however I'm confused by the use of that photo, as isn't the tank essentially invisible, even from underneath? 

Edited by Paul H
spelling...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am just starting my Alfa Monza kit. I am intrigued to know what make the resin bolts you mention are and what paint was used on the seat , it looks so good.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Kenneth Cooper said:

Awesome work!  Looks fantastic.  I'm in mid build - just installed the engine.  I'm finding it impossible to use the tubing from the kit-it won't fit over the pins as it is too flexible.  Any advice?

Chuck it away? It’s weird shiny, flat stuff I seem to recall- I didn’t use any of it. 

Hiroboy is your friend for stuff like this. 

Nick

51 minutes ago, roymattblack said:

That looks really good. A great colour and a nice 'old' shine to the paint - just as cars were back then.
I might chase this one down myself.

Thanks that’s what I was shooting for. 

thinking about though, it’s probably not how cars were back then.

We’re looking at them now and they’re like that, but I suspect a lot of that is down to damn near a century of people looking after them and polishing them on a regular basis.

The patina they have, I think has more to do years and years of care and attention they received, rather than how they left the factory. 

who knows. 

anyway, I’m happy that it doesn’t look new without being knackered and over distressed!

Nick