1/72 Dornier Do 22 from RS Models

MarkoZG

On 3/17/2020 at 8:36 PM, warhawk said:

Another thing that is not 100% certain is if the green cammo bands of No.307 and some other machines were applied before the escape from Yugoslavia (hence they should not be RAF Dark Green),

or were they added after arrival at North Africa (hence they should be RAF Dark Green).

If first option turns out to be true, than this machine can also be done with standard RYAF insignia (instead of RAF-roundel-look-alikes), but using some Yugo green shade for camouflage (which, mind You, were not standardized at all)...

I came across this neat photo, showing No.307 with RYAF crosses still visible, but also with the cammo blotches (floats) and bands (wing).

This however does not solve the mystery where and when they were applied, as it could have flown with the RAF for some time in this configuration and only then have its crosses replaced with roundels...

spacer.png

source: AWM

The blotches over the number itself look to me as if they were added to the photo by a re-toucher (?), not to the aircraft itself...

Regards,

Aleksandar

Please look again on all those photos of Yugo machines - for example "309" is shown with two different dark areas pattern on floats and fuselage (no upper side of wing visible). he change includes also large national flag-like colours on whole rudder (with crosses on wings) or just a kind of fin flash on fin (this case they have roundels). 

So I think the dark colour was applied first just before war in Yugoslavia, then it was perhaps tatolly overpainted after escape to Egypt using already British colours.

Also here

49676751748_c9ecced5c9_o.jpg

the whole tail of "308 " are freshly painted more in British camo style (compared to what is on fuselage and floats) and colours looks more intense then on rest of fuselage or on floats (on the other hand the old could be only faded). The top of the wings looks on both machines similar, suggesting existance of some pattern given in order. The another machine has all fuselage and floats (?) in new style.

J-W

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/14/2019 at 10:49 PM, AaCee26 said:

Hi all,

The big problem with AviationUSK/X-otic Do 22 was wing as in the aircraft it was fabric covered but kit didnät show that. At least RS box top shows ribs on the wing.

I have He 112 which resembles Heller a lot and MS 406 looking a lot like Hasegawa.

Cheers,

AaCee

Hi, 

This story with wrong wing is not so tragic. The main problem of Usk model is they closed down and they are not doing kits any more. So prices went up on the Ebay and Czech RS find opportunity to place their own kit for 60 Eur.  It is a little newer design not exact copy of USK but it  has wrong decals as well. No PE parts and to thick injected canopy.  So both models are short run and we know what it means...... 

Edited by Ales P.
New info
  • Sad 1

On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2020 at 2:33 PM, JWM said:

I have found some photos

Here Are Nos 309 and 306 in Egypt, with roundel insignias

49676761963_a9a6bfc17b_o.jpg

and here the same No 309 still in Yugoslavia (crosses insgnias)

49677574592_8f029c45f6_o.jpg

49676754268_2a71c88798_b.jpg

And here No 308 with very unusual fusalege scheme and roundels, so in Egypt. Please note next machine with more regular scheme

49676751748_c9ecced5c9_o.jpg

Therfore in AviationUSK/Xotic schemes were presented this way:

49677285321_c1018f8f7d_o.jpg

Please note the differencies in grey/green shades. However the top of Yugo schemes should be described "Egipt 1941" and should has roundels....

Regards

J-W

To me the very top photo of 309 the roundel under the wing is three colors . They might have painted just the roundel and left out the white cross.

Sorry I just don't see the same roundel as what is in the kit decals.

Rick

4 hours ago, rickpeck said:

To me the very top photo of 309 the roundel under the wing is three colors . They might have painted just the roundel and left out the white cross.

Rick

Please have a look on this thread

And especially post #9 there. 

Regards

J-W

• Thanks 1

On 6/10/2020 at 1:02 PM, rickpeck said:

Rick

Hi,

Yes you are right. This is the case. 

Reg, Ales

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Hope this helps. It was taken by my Dad from an RAF launch, probably in 1943. It seems 306 is intact, 307 in bits and a third plane can just be seen to the right.

I'm feeling a diorama coming on.

Pete

img021

Edited by Potlid
  • Like 7

• 1 year later...