Best Flankers 1/72

ChrisBraid

Going through a little Flanker phase and thinking of working through the available variants SU-27 and upwards.

Any thoughts and feedback on the best kits in 1/72 scale having been looking at Trumpeter Zvezda and Haseagawa etc. Appreciate its a fairly broad question given the range of variants.

Thanks, Chris

Zvezda do a Su-27SM, a Su-27UB, a Su-33 and, most recently, a Su-30SM - all of which are very accurate shapewise.

Hasegawa do the latest Su-35S - which is OK - but it looks like it will be trumped by the recently announced Great Wall Hobby version.

Trumpeter do lots of versions - sometimes kitting the only examples or variants...

Su-27(Early), Su-30MKK, Su-33UB, J-11B, J-15 & Su-34 - all of which have minor issues, but, as they are the only currently available kits. they are therefore, the best.

Modelsvit do an excellent kit of the 11th Flanker prototype - the T10-11

All of the above is my personal opinion only - others may disagree.....

Hope this helps you decide.

Ken (Who is not in the least Flanker obsessed!)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I would try go with recent/new Zvezda kits as far as the variant needed is offered (Su-27SM, Su-27UB, Su-33 and Su-30SM).

The T-10 prototype would be Modelsvit.

Su-34 - Trumpeter.

SU-35S would be Hasegawa or upcoming Great Wall Hobby.

All the rest – Trumpeter.

All the kits have their own unique benefits and shortcomings. The new Zvezda ones are easy to build and mostly correct.

Edited by tsepajev
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, JasonC said:

12 minutes ago, Flankerman said:

Zvezda do a Su-27SM, a Su-27UB, a Su-33 and, most recently, a Su-30SM - all of which are very accurate shapewise.

Hasegawa do the latest Su-35S - which is OK - but it looks like it will be trumped by the recently announced Great Wall Hobby version.

Trumpeter do lots of versions - sometimes kitting the only examples or variants...

Su-27(Early), Su-30MKK, Su-33UB, J-11B, J-15 & Su-34 - all of which have minor issues, but, as they are the only currently available kits. they are therefore, the best.

7 minutes ago, tsepajev said:

I would try go with recent/new Zvezda kits as far as the variant needed is offered (Su-27SM, Su-27UB, Su-33 and Su-30SM).

Su-34 - Trumpeter.

All the kits have their own unique benefits and shortcomings. The new Zvezda ones are easy to build and mostly correct.

Thanks to all of you. I'll start my journey into to the world of Flankers and interesting camp schemes :)

On 12/14/2019 at 7:38 PM, rkp111 said:

If you go with the gwh kit beware, if you break or loose a part, you are not going to be able to replace it

I'm not sure that Zvezda or Trumpeter do replacement parts to the UK so it's not exactly a risk specific to GWH.

I've built the Zvezda Su-27SM twice and it is one of the most unbelievably good fits of any modern aircraft kit I have ever built.  I suppose that many parts are recycled into the Su-30/35.

However, the surface detail is quite plain, panel lines are very shallow, and also interior detail (wheel wells) is incredibly sparse as well. Their ejection seat is also... weird. Still, you can literally build it up in a day or two and it's one of those kits that brings you joy for the hobby especially if you built a horribly-fitting kit immediately before. :)

Edited by Phantome
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Phantome said:

I've built the Zvezda Su-27SM twice and it is one of the most unbelievably good fits of any modern aircraft kit I have ever built.  I suppose that many parts are recycled into the Su-30/35.

However, the surface detail is quite plain, panel lines are very shallow, and also interior detail (wheel wells) is incredibly sparse as well. Their ejection seat is also... weird. Still, you can literally build it up in a day or two and it's one of those kits that brings you joy for the hobby especially if you built a horribly-fitting kit immediately before. :)

I've ordered the Zvezda Su-27SM and the SU30.  Couple of neomega seats the take care of the cockpit. Its rare I'll use the kit seats. Then I'll wait for the GWH Su-35 :)

2 hours ago, Doom3r said:

Does anyone know if there is a model kit to represent a first prototype (T-10-1)?

t10-1.jpg

On 12/13/2019 at 11:50 AM,  tsepajev said: 

Su-34 - Trumpeter.

3 hours ago, Doom3r said:

Does anyone know if there is a model kit to represent a first prototype (T-10-1)?

Not the first prototype T10-1, but Modelsvit do an excellent 10/11th prototype.......

spacer.png

spacer.png

It would take some work to make T10-1 (smaller radome, non-canted fins, additional wing fence etc) - do-able, but not that simple.

Happy Flankering

Ken

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 12/13/2019 at 12:45 PM, Flankerman said:

Hi Ken,

you wrote Hasegawa's Su-35S is OK, so I guess you are not entirely happy with it, regardless to forthcoming GWH kit. Could you please point out its weaknesses?

I would also like to ask you about initial (original) Su-35 and Su-37 that were kitted by Nakotne long ago. Which modern kits would be best to use for these versions?

Marko

Edited by MarkoZG

Hi Marco, I can reply on that.

The Hasegawa Su-35S has issues on its top profile behind the cockpit, it's a little too flat and the panel lines in that location do not match the real aircraft.

Also the canopy is a little too "picked" and the tailboom chaff/flare boxes are located on the top, while the series production machines had it moved to the bottom.

Forget the Nakotne stuff, also reboxed by Zvezda.

The original Su-35 (in reality Su-27M, 1 thorough 12) can be best replicated by mating Zvezda's new Su-30SM rear to their Su-33 front with some other small changes.

There are a couple of threads on this conversion either here on Britmodeller or on ARCforums.

20 hours ago, Robertone139 said:

The original Su-35 (in reality Su-27M, 1 thorough 12) can be best replicated by mating Zvezda's new Su-30SM rear to their Su-33 front with some other small changes.

There are a couple of threads on this conversion either here on Britmodeller or on ARCforums.

Thanks for replying re the Hasegawa Su-35S Robertone - saves me a job...... :thumbsup:

Re the original Su-35/37 (Su-27M) - I started doing the conversion described above (Su-30SM plus Su-33).

The web page is here :- http://www.flankers-site.co.uk/model_su-37.html

The project is currently stalled - I WILL get it going again as soon as I can......

The thread on Britmodeller is here :- https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235061242-su-37-t-10m-scratchconversion/&tab=comments#comment-3454159

Happy Flankering...

Ken

• 2 weeks later...

Is the Revell 1/72 Su-27SM a rebox of the Zvezda kit? I am currently reading the excellent, but heavy, Famous Russian Aircraft Flanker book and I have a couple of the Revell kits that haven't sold so am tempted to give one a go.

Duncan B