Sword's Centauro; 1/72 Fiat G.55

Luka

So I decided to do my first build report here on BM. I progressed already quite a bit on this model, so not a start from opening the box I'm afraid.
The Sword 2 in 1 kit is imho a joy to build, and goes together as easily as any mainstream kit you'd care to mention. No RS headaches here!

I decided to make one of the two with an experimental splinter camo, seen on some planes in 1943. With the aid of the BM community (thanks @fubar57 & @SafetyDad !) I could tweak the scheme as good to my ability.

Hope you like it.

spacer.png
No worries putting everything together as per the instructions; this kit will fit.

spacer.png

See? Never mind that stroke of Mr Surfacer..

spacer.png

Cannon barrels were drilled out and some Albion Alloy tubes were inserted. The intake tube got a support flange.

spacer.png
I was a bit late adding the navigation lights, but did so before spraying the camo pattern. But..

spacer.png

Alclad Aqua Gloss and decals and.. Aaaghh..! I totally forgot the cowling guns. Out came the pin-vise again..

To be continued..
Thanks for watching,

Cheers,
Luka

• Like 14

Thanks for the compliments!

@72modeler ; As it happens I recently posted a He 112 in the 'Ready for inspection' section in that very scheme;
https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235064741-172-rs-models-heinkel-112-b-0/

As for the build; another stage done.
The plane received a pin was and a matt coat, and the cowling guns were installed using Albion Alloy tubes.
spacer.png

Cheers,
Luka

• Like 9

@Andwil ; Thanks, I believe the emblem background is often depicted blue on 109's. Not sure why they would be green on a G.55 though. But that will probably to another colour vs black/white photo discussion again! ;-)

@Roman Schilhart ; Yes, I think I saw your build a while back. Truly beautiful!
As for the fasces; this photo of blue(?) 5 got me wondering. Of course it's not Drago's black 7, but it's a similar scheme and the fasces on this one are definitely not 'handed'..
spacer.png

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Luka said:

As for the fasces; this photo of blue(?) 5 got me wondering. Of course it's not Drago's black 7, but it's a similar scheme and the fasces on this one are definitely not 'handed'..

Very interesting photo, indeed!

11 hours ago, Luka said:

@Andwil ; Thanks, I believe the emblem background is often depicted blue on 109's. Not sure why they would be green on a G.55 though. But that will probably to another colour vs black/white photo discussion again! 😉

spacer.png

Very interesting! I've not seen that picture before - thanks!

D'Amico and Valentini in their ANR camouflage opus mention that Blue 11 had non-standard wing fasces as well, although for that aircraft the insignia are incomplete, missing their inner vertical strokes, rather than identical as here. The authors speculate that this anomaly for Blue 11 may have been due to non-availability of painting stencils. Perhaps a similar issue here meant that only one stencil was to hand for the painters?

Pure speculation on my part...

SD

• Like 1

Of course, we cannot see the port wing fasces in this lovely photo. Being a little mischievous, perhaps it too is the wrong way around; that is, the fasces are handed but on the wrong wings? :laugh:

Without pictures, we'll never know...

SD

3 hours ago, SafetyDad said:

Of course, we cannot see the port wing fasces in this lovely photo. Being a little mischievous, perhaps it too is the wrong way around; that is, the fasces are handed but on the wrong wings? :laugh:

Without pictures, we'll never know...

SD

I suppose we modelers desperately need a time-travel-teleporter. And when someone goes there and checks out the markings, he might also take some paint chips back while he's at it.
And then also return with about 30+ different samples of RLM 76. That oughtta keep the modeling community busy.. ;-)

• Haha 3

Another stage done.
Undercarriage is in place and the prop dry fitted for the pic. Main aerial mast glued on and made a second small mast on the rudder.
The fun thing about this 2 in 1 boxing is that you know what to take care of in the next build.

spacer.png

Cheers,
Luka

• Like 5

The canopy was mounted and painted, and some touch-ups were made. I put another decal over the bright green one; judging from wartime pictures the emblem seems darker to me. Basically it just needs some light weathering and a pitot tube now, but the tube apparently has a slightly complex shape on the G.55. I'll have to see if I'm going to bother with that. Next instalment will likely be in the RFI section.
Thanks for watching,
Luka

spacer.png

• Like 2