610 sqn meteor

JMSmith

2 hours ago, JMSmith said:

thanks Steve the secod one was the one, i knew it mentioned the plane but i hoped it had a better photo, the model done is slightly wrong, rudder/fin was not black it was silver, as per my profile

spacer.png

Do you have proof that its wrong? as Jonners is pretty accurate with his research for those decals.

@Jon Kunac-Tabinor any comments?

Julien

• Like 1

I have an image given to me by the Squadron aerobatic team leader, Eddie Edmonds, which shows the fin and rudder is in silver. He was at CFS when I was at Little Rissington  led the Jet Provost team in 1966 -  'The Red Pelicans' . The team comprised Four Meteor F.8s of No.610 (County of Chester) Squadron, Hooton Park, Flt Lt D L Edmonds, Fg Offs C Sadler, J O Hughes and Flt Sgt M Davison.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Am I missing something here? The photo in the first post clearly has a dark fin and rudder??

Looking at the same photo personally  I would question the white above the saw teeth as it looks a darker tone to the rounded white?

Mike

• Like 1

The jet with the black fin is/was WK985(?) whereas the profile depicts WH384 so two different aeroplanes, two variations on a scheme.  Simples (like me)!😉

With regard to the triangle on ‘985’s fin it could well be white: it’s in partial shadow whereas the white of the squadron bars is comparatively brightly lit, increasing its contrast with the adjacent black.  That said the shadow of the port tailplane falls across the top of the Squadron bar aft of the roundel producing a tone similar to that on the fin.  If anyone who was “there at the time” or who has, or had, access to reliable evidence  is reading this thread perhaps they could comment.

Edited by stever219
Omission

4 hours ago, JMSmith said:

thanks Steve the secod one was the one, i knew it mentioned the plane but i hoped it had a better photo, the model done is slightly wrong, rudder/fin was not black it was silver, as per my profile

right at the end of the thread the modeller says he got the fin colour wrong with the black, and then repainted it in silver when he found photographic evidence.

This thread is confusing because a different meteor is clearly shown.  I agree with Mick above, the Sqn markings and the inverted triangle on the fin appear darker than white.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 1

Hi all. I'm a little flushed with "Christmas spirit" this evening so will refrain from a reply till I can check stuff, but as I recall we did say with WH384 that the fin might be black or silver- and gave both as options. It does illustrate the problem with trying to give modellers interesting colour schemes though. When we did the research there was one pic of this Meteor and the tail empennage was dark to the point that it could have been shadow or black painted.  More stuff tomorrow when I'm not so "tired and emotional" :)

Jonners

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, stever219 said:

With regard to the triangle on ‘985’s fin it could well be white: it’s in partial shadow whereas the white of the squadron bars is comparatively brightly lit, increasing its contrast with the adjacent black.  That said the shadow of the port tailplane falls across the top of the Squadron bar aft of the roundel producing a tone similar to that on the fin.  If anyone who was “there at the time” or who has, or had, access to reliable evidence  is reading this thread perhaps they could comment.

There are clearly portions of the triangle and the Sqn saw tooth markings that are out of shadow and still darker than white though.

In Roger Lindsays "Cold War Shield"  Volume 1, pages 219-222, devotes 4 pages of history of the meteor in 610 Sqdn.  11 photos are black and white, some are HSS an some camo. Even includes sqdn ldrs a/c plus variations on tail colour variations.  It also has a picture of WJ988 (see photo in thread #1)flying as part of the aerobatic team plus the triangle on the fin WITH a very small letter "R" in the centre of the triangle.  The picture shows the a/c as silver.

To quote the late Roger Lindsays notes on THIS aircraft

"Another specially marked F8, was WK988 newly delivered with a clear view canopy, featured full squadron markings with black tailplane and fin(except for the fin flash)and rudder and with a large inverted white(?)triangle on the lower fin, it also had a badge, in a black disc on the outer nacelles and was believed to be used by the CO and Wingco."

Markings

Rectangular markings, either side of the fuselage roundel with lower half in black, upper half white(thinly outlined in black)with serrated diagonal division between the colours.  Aircraft lettering was in black on the fin and nose wheel door.  By late 1952/early 1953 most F8s had the squadron badge on a black disc on the outer nacelles, eg WH303/D and then  miniature rectangular Squadron markings were added each side of the disc. Earlier in the year, black anti-dazzle panels were added in front of the windscreen on most F8s, often extending to include the rear portion of the canopy and tapering back along the dorsal fuselage, almost all the way to the base of the fin.  Some Meteors in the Squadron also had black gun ports

Pages 406-407 also show 5 colour photos of the Meteor F8s in flight, but, these are all camo 

4 hours ago, camper1 said:

The triangle should have the Squadron badge in the centre.

Cheers

Ian

The photo,in Rogers book, clearly shows a letter "R" smack dab and centrally in its centre and it was the only aircraft in the squadron with the inverted triangle

• Thanks 1

On 12/14/2019 at 6:46 AM, JMSmith said:

and here is the one in question, WK988 610 sqn later canopy and wide mouth engines.

spacer.png

Very minor nit-pick: the profile shows the fairing for the aerial target towline attachment under the rear fuselage just aft of the end of the tailpipe which wouldn’t have been on 610’s jets.

20 hours ago, JMSmith said:

the vent under the rear fuselage is on every photo i have of meteor f8's

Its on most pics I have. I will check the AP to see if its mentioned. 

• Thanks 1