Blue Diamonds - 356FG

Robert Stuart

Way back when ... when I could walk to my LMS, had recently discovered big H and their wealth of AM stuff ... I built several Hassegawa 1/72 P51s using MicroScale (I think) decals.  These included spectacular schemes like Big Beautiful Doll with its Black and White chequers and Jersey Jerk with its red and blue diamond nose.

Well, I'm not planning to rebuild Doll, but I could build Jerk - or I could build another P51 from the 356th Fighter Group (the same fighter group as Jersey Jerk).

I will change scale by using Airfix's new(ish) 1/48 P51.  My copy of the kit offers Jersey Jerk out of the box.  Other stuff? Some AeroMaster decals offering companions for Jerk, and some seat straps.  Airfix's newer kits lack crew (fairly normal these days), but also lack attempt at belts (not so acceptable IMO).

p51-000.jpg

This is yet another build that will not start until the new year.  Mid-January is the best I can hope for ...

• Like 5

• 5 weeks later...

Time to reserect this build ... it isn't quite at the bottom of the list of builds (third bottom :whistle: )
The sprue shot:

p51-001.jpg

I have done something, I've sprayed some grey primer on a few of the fittings, focussing, mainly, on internals - 'pit and wheel well,
The bazooka won't be used - this is a WWII, Eigth Air Force, pony after all.

A question.  AeroMaster are clear that the red used by 356 FG was Bright Red, not Insignia Red.

OK, fine.  Message recieved.  But ... what red do I need?  So far as I'm aware, bright red is not listed as an FS color.

• Like 5