Hobbyboss 1/48 P-51 easy kit.

stevej60

Hi folk's, we seem to have all the best known kits in the GB in all the scales so I had a look for a kit that might not be so well covered in the form

of HB's easy kit.I plan in this first build to play it safe with an overall green finish as I've already done Dooleybird  from Tamiya's kit.

20191025_121440

I'm a big fan of these kits I did their Thunderbolt for one of our STGB's a year or two ago.

DSC00967

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 13

Morning folks,kit arrived yesterday and looks great,these kits are less than £12 so no complaints here,decal sheet is fine and full stencil sheet too

and special mention to the canopy which is beautifully molded.

20191217_104357

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good morning Steve

Welcome aboard  , it will be interesting to compare this kit with all the others 1/48 kits already started ..

Have fun with it

Patrice

Thank's Patrice, it's on par with a lot of the other modern kits of the Mustang as far as shape and detailing but no sidewall details at all.

for anyone like me liking a quick build and not worrying about missing details a good starting point.

• Thanks 1

Morning folks,I was going to leave these builds till after Christmas but rather than loose interest in another project I decided to start some

progress ,my usual make it look busy treatment was applied.No sidewall detail is supplied so I used a few spare decals and tape for the harness.

I just have lost interest in using the airbrush for some reason so brush painted both.

20191221_091723

• Like 5

Having had a "tour" of my prolific friend's airbrush setup, I think that the key is to have a station that is as ready to go as you can possibly achieve.  He also (with a top-feeder) mixes just enough paint to do the current task, whereas I always seemed to have jars with leftover mixed paint that I had to figure out what to do with, and had to find clean jars for the next thing, and...  It remains to be seen if I will manage to follow my own advice.

• Like 2

I meant to make suitable for airbrushing- this was back in the olden days when paint was thick enough to brush on, not "preformulated for airbrushing".  Though I did mix my own "silver" to do a T-6G warbird that was painted, not bare metal, and I was rather pleased with the outcome.  Not to mention that I actually finished it- ah, the good old days...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gingerbob said:

good old days...

Indeed Bob,I loved enamel brush painting but Humbrol tinkered with their mixes and I went over to Tamiya acrylics which until recently I couldn't master

but I've got the thinning process ironed out and thank's to @PlaStix video and championing of the flat brush most of this years output has been brush painted

and it's great to sit there brushing away, great therapy!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I probably neglect the art of brush painting,although of late I'm using revells exellent aqua range for the niggely bits , any overpaint  can be removed using a dampened brush then  cleaned and go again, all in water  (as it says on the pot ) i reckon these are tops for hairy stick work, recommended by the  best brushsmith himself, plastix,

By the way steve , a smashing couple of models 👍looking great

Glynn

• Like 1

Hi folk's.looking at the two kits under primer the Revell kit has so many issues in particular the optional hatches over the port wing guns that will

stick out a mile under silver, so after convincing myself the nose profile of the two are near enough I'm going to use BBD decals on this kit and the

OD/gray scheme will hide the rough edges on the Revell kit,here she is after four light coats of Tamiya polished aluminium.

I thought this topic very interesting with a superb build at it's heart,

https://www.largescaleplanes.com/articles/article.php?aid=577

20191231_163803

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 5

Evening folk's,well best laid plans and all that,Glossed the fuselage to see how those decals would behave the star and bar had me hoping but the rest were

awful the checker board decals were thin and brittle and very see through and wouldn't adhere at all.I was just about to loose it and send it flying but calmly

walked away and put the kettle on,anyway I knew I had Tamiya's decal sheet spare and decided on Petie 2nd,so a re-paint of the nose was done,I now need to

paint out the white wing tips and beware if you try this kit the U/C legs are molded back to front another job to do will be to remove the "V" to the rear of the

leg.

20200102_192311

• Like 3

Hello Steve... To bad I just came across this. John Landers and “Big Beautiful doll” Transferred from the 78th FG to the 361st FG when he became commander of the 361st. They changed the codes and painted the nose Yellow, otherwise it was the same plane. 

vZmXfNx.jpg
2bWdpyk.png

You could have still done “Big Beautiful Doll” in her final markings. Of note look at the small section visible directly underneath the windscreen. Its a solid color and not black or white. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 2

Hi folk's,what a disaster I had yesterday,I work on a tiny desk and tend to put the models I'm working on on the floor on or in their boxes.

Yesterday I was spraying and for the umpteenth time the small but weighty Revell compressor was knocked off the desk this time for the first time

hitting some of the kits I was working on,my airfix Tomcat and Viking were salvaged but the Mustang copped the lot,wheel's wings and worst of all

the canopy broke in half! Anyway my LMS had another issue of the kit for just over a tenner so as I was visiting I picked one up (I did salvage the

cockpit interior) so later in the GB I'll return to this kit and try to bring it in for a landing.

• Sad 6

Glad that you‘re not discouraged! I tend to hit my magnifying lens with some protruding part when handling the near finished model - I don’t know how many broken landing gears, rudders and antennae I can claim. It‘s a shame if one needs to redo work that had already looked pretty perfect. I always feel it isn’t as nice the second time over. Good luck!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Toryu said:

Glad that you‘re not discouraged! I tend to hit my magnifying lens with some protruding part when handling the near finished model - I don’t know how many broken landing gears, rudders and antennae I can claim. It‘s a shame if one needs to redo work that had already looked pretty perfect. I always feel it isn’t as nice the second time over. Good luck!

Cheers Toryu, knocking the glue pot over a kit is my usual trick!

21 minutes ago, Ratch said:

That's bad luck Steve, hope you cab get back to it soon :oops:

Thanks Ratch I was gutted when I saw the two Airfix kits thankfully the Tomcat was wheels only but the Viking fuselage split which has repaired

fairly well.

• Sad 1