Battle of Hoth. AT-AT versus Snowspeeder. Bandai 1/144.

Hi all.

After some problems with the snow used in this small scene (that of AK) and changing the base for a larger one, I can show the work completely finished.

For those who want to see the work done on the ships the links are:

I have finished it in a month and a half, without messing with any other model in between which is a double achievement on my part. For the short time that I took to do it and because between the beginning and the end I have not taken a different model.

Bandai kits related to the Star Wars saga totally and absolutely recommended. I have done some more and I have many others. From the first I can say the same and from the second I can say that the detail is equally impressive. The only but is its price. Even on the other side of the world it is high, here it is simply prohibitive for a normal pocket.

Regards.

49209594431_0362246f5a_o.jpg

49209109583_d59404b5fd_o.jpg

49209594371_b11ebfc54c_o.jpg

• Like 37
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Lovely work as per usual Andres - I was wondering what your plan for that snow speeder was:) Beautiful paint job on the AT AT - it looks absolutely stunning - I agree with you re. Bandai Kits - they are overly priced but I guess you pay for what you get - to me you're paying for a model that will look fantastic without much effort - leaving you to enjoy the painting process. It would be nice if they offered "weekend editions" - say just the sprues and nothing else at a reduced price... but probably little profit to be had in that... 

Have you got any more Star Wars Bandai kits in the stash..? 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Kitchen Modeller said:

Lovely work as per usual Andres - I was wondering what your plan for that snow speeder was:) Beautiful paint job on the AT AT - it looks absolutely stunning - I agree with you re. Bandai Kits - they are overly priced but I guess you pay for what you get - to me you're paying for a model that will look fantastic without much effort - leaving you to enjoy the painting process. It would be nice if they offered "weekend editions" - say just the sprues and nothing else at a reduced price... but probably little profit to be had in that... 

Have you got any more Star Wars Bandai kits in the stash..? 

Hi Kitchen Modeller, thank you for your kind words, I'm glad you like this little job.

At first, I thought of doing the AT-AT only but a friend gave me the Snowspeeder and I came up with the idea of making a small scene with both. The moment Luke passes under one of the AT-AT in the battle of Hoth seemed to me a beautiful image as a humble tribute to which in my opinion I consider the best film of all that have been made about STAR WARS.

Certainly Bandai kits are really expensive, even buying them on eBay (as I have done) but the quantity and quality of detail is absolutely impressive, as well as the engineering of the parts that makes assembly much easier. I have used the putty only on the feet of the AT-AT (and very little), that says it all.

I really enjoyed painting these models. I am a beginner using Vallejo products for the weather, but I am satisfied with the result. Whenever I can I like to add some small detail in the models, although in this one it was practically impossible because of the quality of the detail, but I enjoy painting more.

Bandai kits do not need almost any extra resin or fhotoetched, so I don't think they adopt Eduard's commercial policy of making "weekend" kits. I think what they would do would be to add them and then they would be even more expensive kits.

Yes I have. The quality of these kits is so great that I have not been able to resist the temptation, thinking that they might not produce them in a while and their prices will rise even more. I have the X-wing, Y-wing, B-wing, TIE Interceptor, TIE Advanced X-1 in 1/72 scale, Millennium Falcon 1/144 scale, Snowspeeder and AT-ST 1/48 scale and Tantive IV and Super Stardestroyer in very scale little. And yesterday I got the kit of the Jedi Starfigther D-7 of Fine Molds 1/72 scale. Even with so many kits in the hiding place I still have R2-D2 and C3PO in my head, but for now I won't buy them.

Regards.

Andrés S.