The Trieste Crisis 1953 - The first cold war confrontation in Europe - Helion & Company via Casemate UK

Julien

The Trieste Crisis 1953

The first cold war confrontation in Europe

ISBN : 9781912866342

Helion & Company via Casemate UK

spacer.png

The City of Trieste and the area surrounding it stands on the border between what was Yugoslavia and Italy. Like other areas in the region lines drawn on maps were felt not to recognise the ethnic divisions of the area. Tito's forces raced to occupy the area at the end of WWII, as did the allies with the two forces meeting in the city on May 2nd 1945. Tito tired or order the Allies to withdraw, however under political pressure they did not. An agreement was signed in Belgrade to divide the territory around Trieste up. This was followed by the setting up of the Free Territory Of Trieste in 1947 following talks in Paris. The Yugoslavs accepted this but did not want to give up their "rights" to the area. The area was seen as the dividing line between the democratic West and the Communist East. Things were though to go downhill. The West was seen to take a less pro Italian stance for a more neutral one, at a time of less than stable Italian Politics. 

spacer.png

This lead in 1953 to the Crisis where by increasing deployments of troop and equipment from both sides were deployed to the area. The provides a detailed account of the forces from the allied, and Yugoslav armies deployed at this time which looked like an actual war would happen. Much of this has been under reported with the source material only becoming available recently.

spacer.png

Conclusion

This book will give the reader an understanding of this first real flashpoint of the cold war in Europe. It is A4 softcover and 72 pages long with black & white photographs throughout. There are also 8 colour pages with equipment profiles, and maps. The Europe @ War series looks to be an exciting new series from Helion and Company if this first title is anything to go by.

Highly Recommended.

bin.jpg

Review sample courtesy of

logo.gif

2 hours ago, Linus said:

Hi guys, which is the cost of the book, and where I can buy this book? I'm interesting in this book, I live near Trieste,(60m km.) this a history.

Cheers Linus

Linus 

if you click on the rectangle under “highly recommended” that says “Available here” that’s a link that takes you directly to the publishers web site page and you can buy there

• Like 1

Now although the Small Wars GB did not officially get up in the BM Bunfight poll, you can all happily build subjects that qualify for these types of theatres in the year long “They also serve” GB that will be a something new for 2020. See Enzo’s thread in the link above. 

Now I’m really starting to like these Helion series of books. It’s always great to expand ones Military and historical knowledge on some lesser known fisticuffs. 

Cheers. Dave 

19 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Now although the Small Wars GB did not officially get up in the BM Bunfight poll, you can all happily build subjects that qualify for these types of theatres in the year long “They also serve” GB that will be a something new for 2020. See Enzo’s thread in the link above. 

Now I’m really starting to like these Helion series of books. It’s always great to expand ones Military and historical knowledge on some lesser known fisticuffs. 

Cheers. Dave 

Dave all of the @war series of books are great in that they cover conflicts not widely known. I have not seen a dud yet. I spoke to the publishers and one of the authors at Telford and they go quite the distance to dig up the source materials for these. They have done Latin America, The Middle East, Africa etc This is the first in the Europe @ War series so hoping for some more good ones.

If you are on facebook look up AtWar Book Series by Helion & Company

Julien

• Thanks 1