Ammo mig streaking brusher

Andy350

Like with a lot of modeling products that have exploded over the past few years (pigments, washes, filters), you're paying for convinience. Instead of dealing with tubes of paint (which may need to have some oil leeched out of them) and cleaning brushes, this gives you an all in one package for easy application.

I'll personally stick with traditional oils for mixability and flexibility, but I can see why someone would buy these. 

By the same token I buy pigments, you won't see me shaving charcoal or bottling dirt outside. Not worth my time or mess.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Shin said:

Like with a lot of modeling products that have exploded over the past few years (pigments, washes, filters), you're paying for convinience. Instead of dealing with tubes of paint (which may need to have some oil leeched out of them) and cleaning brushes, this gives you an all in one package for easy application.

I'll personally stick with traditional oils for mixability and flexibility, but I can see why someone would buy these. 

By the same token I buy pigments, you won't see me shaving charcoal or bottling dirt outside. Not worth my time or mess.

Thanks Shin, will any oil based paint work?

I've heard bad things about the "water soluble" oil paints, best stick to those that are thinned using mineral spirits. From what I understand the general rule of thumb is that the more expensive the oil, the finer the pigments. The finer the pigments, the more flexibility you have when thinning the paint. This isn't to say cheaper ones aren't viable to use, but I would do some research to see if anyone has had success with what brand you are looking into. I have a couple of the Abteilung 502 ones designed specifically for modeling, as well as a handful of colors of the Winsor & Newton Artist's Oil colors heavily discounted at the local art store. Both have worked great for me using Mona Lisa Odorless Paint Thinner. 

Regarding the W&N, I decided to splurge for the Artist Oil vs their mid-range Winton line because I figured each tube may last me decades, might as well pay a few dollars more up front and not worry about what if. W&N are not the only artist grade oil paints either, they are just what I have experience with. 

• Like 1