1/72 RS Models Heinkel 112 B-0

Luka

Excellent model of the attractive competitor to the more successful Bf 109. This particular He 112 also has a story connected with it.

According to Wikipedia, Teniente Miguel Entrena Klett managed to shoot down a Lockheed P-38 that had strayed into Spanish airspace over Marocco. The story is here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heinkel_He_112_operational_service

Apparently, the Heinkel 112 also pioneered the engine-mounted 20mm cannon that later became standard fare for the Bf 109 series.

Thank you Luka, for highlighting an interesting piece of aviation history with this very nice model and congrats to such a beautiful build for your first RFI pos!

Kind regards,

Joachim

2 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

According to Wikipedia, Teniente Miguel Entrena Klett managed to shoot down a Lockheed P-38 that had strayed into Spanish airspace over Marocco

Try as I have, I've never been able to discover the identity of the P-38 he shot down, I've long fancied doing them both as an "Adversary pair"

Steve.

Thanks for the compliments everyone!

@Doc72; Although I like this plane very much, RS Models are typical short-run kits that often require some extra work. Particularly the fit isn't optimal, and smaller parts tend to be roughly shaped. This one had quite a troublesome canopy for instance.
You can see a step-by-step pictoral report of this build here;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OU8Lp2LF7hA

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@Adam Poultney ; A couple of posts back I added a link to the pictoral build report, so you can decide for yourself 😉
I believe RS also released the 'Kanonenvogel', but I have never seen that one in person; it's probably quite rare..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fin said:

Congratulations for your model! I gave up on mine. What exactly did you do to that canopy? :D It seemed impossible to fit. Did you just file the entire middle section on both sides?

Thanks!
Yes, I basically took a half-round file and filed out the curvature of the fuselage along the length of the canopy. I mounted it with Micro Kristal Klear, which filled out the contact surface and dealt with any small inconsistencies.
With 20/20 hindsight I wish I had dry-fitted it before the painting stage, but I guess I didn't expect such a severe case of bad fit.

• Thanks 1