Cavalier F-51D 1/72 Airfix

Bedders

Finally it's time! I've been mulling over this idea for ages but have paused whilst doing the research and waiting for the get-go. The aim of this little adventure will be to rework an Airfix 1/72 F-51D  kit into a 1960s Cavalier F-51D. Two seats, tall tail but no tip tanks. Looking forward to it!

resized_da437a36-1de5-46b6-9bf9-304064fe

Justin

• Like 8

On 12/11/2019 at 10:06 PM, Bedders said:

Finally it's time! I've been mulling over this idea for ages but have paused whilst doing the research and waiting for the get-go. The aim of this little adventure will be to rework an Airfix 1/72 F-51D  kit into a 1960s Cavalier F-51D. Two seats, tall tail but no tip tanks. Looking forward to it!

resized_da437a36-1de5-46b6-9bf9-304064fe

Justin

Ah ha, that’s exactly what I need for one of my non-STGB project, Justin. I’ll be watching avidly :). I need the tall tail and twin seat for a civil build. 

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 1

And we're off! First thing to do is to get the saw out. Creative destruction - at least that's what I hope. I've taken off the fuel tank and placed a piece of thin plastic card over the resulting hole, to create a new floor for the second seat. I'm recycling an old Airfix Mustang seat from a kit that didn't make it to the finish. But I've shortened the rear of the seat to enable it to fit decently into the back of the cockpit. 

The second job has been to make the basis of the fin extension from plastic card. I used drawings from the internet as a guide, and it seems to look OK so far in terms of shape. I've also filled the flare chute as I don't see evidence of that in pictures of the real thing. And I suppose I should remove the fuel tank filler too, as I don't think there's any need for that either.

Must say I'm quite enjoying this!

Justin

resized_e3a9fd83-77b3-4eb5-8b1c-288e564b

• Like 10

A bit more progress. Trial and error on the seats, but getting there I think. I've removed the armour plate from the back of the kit's (front) seat, trimmed a bit of height from the backplate section, and added it to the backplate of the rear seat, as I think I made that one too short. I've also added a headrest to the rear seat, basing the shape on photos I've been looking at on the web. I've also added the braces to both seats from thin strips of plastic card. Looking OK I think.

resized_c0be2f03-5d1b-4461-8315-b72effc2

Justin

• Like 8

On 12/11/2019 at 10:15 PM, Paul J said:

Must keep an eye on this...Have you thought of or come up with a colour scheme yet?

Hi Paul,

I'm thinking something like this:

8c0ca26f-3f20-46c8-b0aa-0b7fa42fa153.jpg

These ones were built by Cavalier in about 1968 and after a short time in USAF markings were sold to Bolivia. Most of them were resold to private buyers in Canada in the 70s and many still exist as warbirds. So quite an interesting story. 

Justin

Edited by Bedders
  • Like 3

Excellent scratch work Justin!

Do you know if the taller tail is the same as a P-51H or is it something unique? I saw a warbird P-51D a few years ago and it had the tall tail like this, and I had assumed that it had been scrounged from an H. Perhaps it had some Cavalier lineage though!

Hi Cookie, it's an interesting question and one I've been doing a bit of research on recently. Basically the tails were different. Here's an H:

976abae6-42aa-470b-841e-6367591af6b5.jpg

And hers's a tall D

76d7acd7-11ba-4fc0-973f-34aa47758872.jpg

And this is an H tail on a D airframe. The H tail is broader in chord all the way to the top whereas the tall D tapers more dramatically. The H rudder is also slightly taller which helps to make the H tail sligntly taller overall.

730b3c4b-ae76-4f9c-8c6f-e423038d2afa.jpg

I've got another H waiting in the stash so I might give that a go soon, now that I've identified some of the errors I made with my first one...!

Justin

Edited by Bedders
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Cockpit assembled and painted. The interior appears to be a light grey colour so I used something generic and gave it a light wash to highlight the detail. Not my best work - my first attempt at painting was with a colour that was too dark, and in my efforts to cover it up I used too many coats so I lost some of the crispness in the detail. But when it's closed up it looks OK. Behind the front seat there is a transverse bar across the fuselage which also serves as a mount for the front seat, replacing the armour plate on the normal P-51D. 

resized_be4cb7f5-8cf4-4928-b2e9-b6e53fb1

Here's the fuselage closed up and my plasticard template for the fin extension mounted. A bit flimsy but looks the part. Now to build up the aerofoil section with more card and filler, and sand to the final shape.

resized_be063bbc-7ff7-4762-bc18-8b5a6d2e

resized_c115ca51-368c-4a20-95ff-52286392

Justin

• Like 9

21 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

@Bedders Justin, Have you simply butted the fin tip on or have you made up any form of tab or pins for strength? I know its a bit thin there but I thought I'd ask! ;)

Hiya, the options seemed to be either a) use a thin and flimsy bit of card that I could slot into the top of the fin, or b) use a slightly thicker card that would have to be butted on but will hopefully withstand the pressures of me applying filler and sanding. So I went for the latter, and hope that the superglue and melted sprue will hold it on OK. Fingers crossed!

Justin

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Bedders said:

Hiya, the options seemed to be either a) use a thin and flimsy bit of card that I could slot into the top of the fin, or b) use a slightly thicker card that would have to be butted on but will hopefully withstand the pressures of me applying filler and sanding. So I went for the latter, and hope that the superglue and melted sprue will hold it on OK. Fingers crossed!

Justin

Thanks Justin

Justin, I know it was controversial, but the surgery to have your fingertips replaced with laser cutters has paid off again, everything looks perfect.

As an aside, I found a link to the history of the previously mentioned warbird and it did have a Cavalier tail (and was a turboprop at one point in its existence).

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

but the surgery to have your fingertips replaced with laser cutters has paid off again

Thanks Cookie, unfortunately it's turned the business of eating hamburgers into a slow and messy affair though...

Justin

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

So here's where we've got to: wings on and panel lines filled, and started work on the fin extension to create the aerofoil section and get the shape right. No disasters yet but it'll be a bit of work to get that fin top right. 

resized_3b101cf9-dc35-4904-93ad-ca506cab

Justin

Edited by Bedders
  • Like 11