Messerschmitt P.1106T - German carrier jet fighter

Mig88

Hello everyone!

Here is my latest kit, completed this past weekend. It's AZ Model's 1:72 Messerschmitt P.1106T - the navalized carrier variant. I thought the concept so crazy and absurd that I couldn't resist getting it! I believe it's a first in Luft46 kits since I don't recall anyone releasing carrier-borne aircraft in this field. The instructions that came with the kit were for the B variants (the other two boxings), I'm not sure if by mistake or that's how they come with this kit. I had to refer to the boxart for the variant-specific parts (arrestor hook, underwing fuel tanks and gun pods.

Tp43pARBAgy3qgs0kKUGUtcmG9DqHnTXreNqjPrF

The build wasn't easy. The parts were a bit crude and with flash and needed plenty of cleaning up, reminding me of earlier Special Hobby and MPM kits. I built it mostly OOB only adding belts from Tamiya tape and replacing the wing pitot tube with one made from stretched sprue. I opened up the holes at the tip of the gunpod barrels.

CsZ7yhorghUt_6N6zYGo9XcWVzP9qSg5Ffs__8Jf

1iWXzjKiQ-58K-MM3NOXn7Tmd-I3h1dvdfI1kB_-

To get it to sit on its legs, I packed weight inside the engine and in the nose area above it. I made a forward u/c bay bulkhead to hold/hide the lead weights.

I managed to get a reasonably good join of the wings to the fuselage but the other joins needed plenty of filling and sanding. The canopy was a poor fit and I only managed to get it in place after plenty of trimming and at the third attempt when I resorted to CA gel to hold it in place.

The kit was fully painted and varnished with brush. I didn't like the options proposed by AZ Model so I made my own scheme. I used the decals from option 3 plus the anchors of option 2, all placed as I saw fit. The decals behaved well and reacted to Micro Set and Sol.

N-cz92gv8JZhyUOTrUB6NWq6Pq4E9xzmjMe-pUJz

UiMmEmGbj8q92cu38Qtm7sPs0-1Y4nprb6mNOjpH

q6e8ut6y_nysMJO3v8-u756D8OrgHsW2ZBwYUpK3

CPMktJQM9lirxg4StyW7-w6B0XfjQIzkdsHKSn_S

QN_Q4-JGRVghK5RKq4RzEQk03NbRPhhts5lUuxiz

eoWbifGDbCs7U74xMyIzAx3OeJMo_f6_0NFwsqus

XXYEneW-khg4TVqkaHAGNrqIdBtEEFljAYNQbjK1

isZUs8P-G6t2DezgUiSZ0XS1ExfKj8gPRJnuNkp2

82lEkstyd4nS3UV9qBNdDKRXLdfLe4XIRmM1SUy1

1EOgYnMJNRT84Sou5zW40aZmiNF1bI6GWDTAjuJz

Despite the difficult build, I enjoyed it and am glad I decided to build this "flying fish"!

Thank you for looking and all comments are welcome as always
Miguel

• Like 39

Lovely model. Mind you I doubt the late and great Eric Brown would have passed it for carrier landings. The view over the nose makes landing a seafire a piece of cake by comparison I imagine unless the nose has more droop than it looks

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you very much @HOUSTON, @russ c, @Toryu, @JohnT, @John_W, @Vinnie, @RMCS, and @Spitfire31 for your comments.

19 hours ago, JohnT said:

Lovely model. Mind you I doubt the late and great Eric Brown would have passed it for carrier landings. The view over the nose makes landing a seafire a piece of cake by comparison I imagine unless the nose has more droop than it looks

19 hours ago, John_W said:

Nice build.

Would be tricky to land on a.regular runway, let alone a carrier.

14 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

Interesting WHIF!

Fancy landing on a carrier deck with that narrow track gear… 😉

Kind regards,

Joachim

That's why I considered the proposal "crazy and absurd" 😉! And on top of it, with only one engine, considering how sensitive the early jet engines were 😜!

Miguel

• Like 2

You mention B-variants, perhaps implying there was an A-version; further implying the "A" was successful enough to be modified to a "B"!!

Now that is a surprise!  😁🤣

Anyway, it looks good - if not exactly practical as a carrier-borne plane!  🤔

Nicely done. 👍

• Thanks 1

Thank you very much @Wulfman, @Greg Law and @kapam.

On 13/12/2019 at 06:09, kapam said:

You mention B-variants, perhaps implying there was an A-version; further implying the "A" was successful enough to be modified to a "B"!!

Now that is a surprise!  😁🤣

Anyway, it looks good - if not exactly practical as a carrier-borne plane!  🤔

Nicely done. 👍

The P.1106 project covers several proposals of a streamlined jet with the engine forward with the cockpit near the tail. It was discarded precisely due to the poor visibility from the cockpit. AZ Model decided to make kits of a two-seater variant and so called it B implying, as you say, the other one-seater was the A. They have released 3 boxings, a day fighter, a night fighter (fancing landing it night!) and the carrier T variant (T for Träger - Carrier). This two-seater is total speculation on behalf of AZ Model.

Miguel

Thank you very much @Walter and @Doc72.

20 hours ago, Doc72 said:

Is it possible that you installed the engine the wrong way round? But what do I know about Marineflieger 1946 jet-engine technology?

Anyway, a well-built model and definitely an eye-catcher.

Not according to the instructions and how it fits. There's a hole in the front section where you are supposed to insert the nose wheel leg. I ended up with it twisted to one side so I had to open it up (necessary anyway as it was too small) to insert the leg.

Miguel

• 3 weeks later...