A very old Pony...

Courageous

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/25/2020 at 12:23 AM, stevej60 said:

Great work on the old girl Stuart.

On 1/25/2020 at 12:27 PM, Andre B said:

Yes, great work! Your 1970 pony doesn't look that old at all!

Cheers guys.

Thought it was about time that this pony moved along.

20200203-204451-1.jpg

Chin has been corrected by making it deeper using plasticard and Milliput.

20200203-204702-1.jpg

0.6mm holes drilled to accept some microtube guns later. Also made a recess for landing light which will be made from clear sprue.

20200203-211551-1.jpg

Undercarriage doors fitted.

20200203-204840-1.jpg

Whole thing primed, time to make good before a final prime and colours.

Stuart

• Like 11

Thats nice work, Stuart. You're doing better than me at keeping so many plates spinning ;). My last one should be ready for RFI on Friday and I can concentrate on the SMB2 and a single Mustang ..... :)

Martin

• Like 1

I find that it doesn’t take much longer to build two or three the same than just one.  The only part that does take longer is recalling.

AW

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

After a hectic week, I managed to have a little time this morning to lay some paint.

20200216-113606-1.jpg

First off, was the white for the invasion stripes and once dry, the white was masked. Next was the sky ID band and spinner, followed by the yellow on the leading edges, both paints were Colourcoats enamels.

With any luck, I'll be able mask the sky and yellow later and get the underside colour on.

Stuart

• Like 6

As I had hoped, I managed to get access to the cave before dinner.

20200217-175840-1.jpg

Colourcoats MSG enamel on the underside.

20200217-180037-1.jpg

I had completely forgotten about the Frog decals. I doubt they'll be any good after nearly 50 years but I better take a look. I'll use one of the US decals on a nice shiny tile and see how it goes, if it's a no-go, then I'll have purchase some sky decals.

Stuart

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Courageous said:

I had completely forgotten about the Frog decals. I doubt they'll be any good after nearly 50 years but I better take a look. I'll use one of the US decals on a nice shiny tile and see how it goes, if it's a no-go, then I'll have purchase some sky decals.

Stuart

You'd be surprised.  I've had Frog and Matchbox decals that were nearer 50 than 40 years old perform splendidly of late, while the instrument panel decal from a 20 year old Tamiya Meteor broke up on application.  The old kits in question were the Hornet F.3 and Spitfire IX respectively.  I've also had good results with the decals from an original Matchbox Lightning F.6..  It seems to me that the old ones might be out of register or have dodgy colours, but still be very durable.

Edited by JosephLalor
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, JosephLalor said:

It seems to me that the old ones might be out of register or have dodgy colours, but still be very durable.

Thanks Joseph for the reassurance on the decals. I believe I have roundels and flashes in my decal bank, so it's more the carrier I'm worried out as it 'looks' very matt. Thinking on it, I could be fortunate with the sky codes anyway as the carrier can easily be removed from the 'N'. The serials, if needed can be printed.

Stuart

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Johnson said:

Nice work Stuart.

Cheers Charlie.

1 hour ago, Terry1954 said:

Looking good Stuart. I need to try some of my colourcoats, they seem to be the biz.

Thanks Terry, yes you should. They don't act like normal enamels, I masked over the top of the Dark Green 2 hours after I applied it!

20200220-225038-1.jpg

Tamiya Black applied for the stripes, masking removed and letting it harden overnight.

Stuart

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Back from my course, now taking advantage of an empty house.

20200229-151640-1.jpg

I had Xtradecal roundels in the spares box, so these went on as the Frog ones looked a little ropy. Took a chance with the kit serials though and they are on and beneath the tail planes. Although the kit sky code 'N' looked great on its backing paper, one went on okay but I wasn't really happy and the other disintegrated in the water. :doh:Having no sky codes in the 'bank', they are now on order.

Stuart

• Like 8

Sky code decals delivered by 'posty'...

20200308-085337-1.jpg

and fitted.

20200308-085510-1.jpg

MG's fitted using 0.6mm tubing and landing light area painted with one of those chrome Molotow pens but catastrophe awaits...

20200308-091236-1.jpg

...the landing lens has gone walkabout! Nothing else for it but scratch one from clue sprue, this 14th March deadline is looking rather shaky.

Stuart

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

I thought (and I'm relying on!) that we had up to next Sunday, the 15th?

Those landing lights are a bit of a nightmare, as I found out. Even if you don't lose it - I nearly did - fitting them is quite tricky.

Anyway, nice work Stuart. And the sky code looks just right. May ask who made them?

• Like 1

Cheers for the encouragement guys. 

3 hours ago, Johnson said:

May ask who made them?

Xtradecal.

I have very carefully tackled the landing light. I didn't want to have another round of painting to repair any damage done, so the area was masked, filed and sanded. Although not perfect, it's as a far as I dare go.

Stuart

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Has been a busy week. Calling this done.

20200312-171734-1.jpg

Not my better pieces of work but considering what I started with, I'm quite pleased with how its' turned out. Still got to find a varnish that i'm happy with. Suggestions?

Stuart

• Like 9