A very old Pony...

Courageous

9 hours ago, Courageous said:

Taking advantage of a gap in the festive build-up and decided to tackle the innards.

20191223-192347-1.jpg

The kits innards; a seat and its mounting side spigots, a blob for a radio box and a blob for a gun-sight were hacked out. A rear platform was made, as was a fuel and and radio box. Using another Mustangs cockpit as a template, I added some ribbing.

As this build is going to be in a flying attitude, with a pilot, I'll busy the cockpit up with some side boxes, an I/P and stuff...hopefully tomorrows quiet period.

Stuart

Great progress, Stuart. 😊

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Andwil said:

Looks great

10 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Great progress,

9 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Echo that.

Cheers guys.

While I have the house to myself, thought I'd crack on with this.

20191224-160723-1.jpg

Parts primed.

20191224-170316-1.jpg

Interior green on. Radio and fuel tank painted. Started to paint the pilot. Forgot the control column, so I thought I'd better make one, drying.

20191224-181216-1.jpg

Sorry for the image quality but I think you get the idea. The I/P is scratch built using plasticard, square section and a PE fascia from... a mangled F-86 PE set. I know it's not right but it does the job. I/P is painted with Vallejo Panzer grey, dial centres wee painted black before gloss vanish was added. Quite chuffed with that.

20191224-181040-1.jpg

Nearly ready to put it together but I need the pilot finished so that I can set the seat height and once that is set, I can fit the 'stick'.

Stuart

• Like 12

With festivities out of the way, time for an update

20191228-173218-1.jpg

I/P fitted.

20191228-172936-1.jpg

Pilot painted, in his seat and fixed to his armoured bulkhead.

20191229-163023-1.jpg

Fuselage halves cemented together and pilot+ temporarily fitted.

20191229-163057-1.jpg

The underside. A bit of work going on here besides the seam, tail wheel bay partly blocked off and ready to get some closed doors. Radiator exhaust boxed-in, needs a little internal filler and paint before getting a door. Radiator inlet hacked to reduce thickness of plastic before getting some a plasticard skin to make it 'deeper'. 

After sorting that lot out, I'll fit the wings and think about sorting the leading edge kink and the front 'chin'.

Stuart

• Like 11

Nice work, Stuart. I reckon I will need to build an A-model at some point to complete my Dominican fleet. I'm trying to work out which kit to use. It wont be the Frog, although I admire what you are doing to wrestle it in to submission :).

Martin 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Nice work, Stuart. I reckon I will need to build an A-model at some point to complete my Dominican fleet.

Cheers Martin. Apparently, according some big discussion on the subject, this is the best option for an A-Model:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS8ezQLoKCA_2I2OtRc4gC

5 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Yes, impressive work with the old kit.

Cheers Cookie, it's quite good fun trying to bring these old kits into the next century.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Yes, impressive work with the old kit.

Looking very good. As said impressive work.

1 hour ago, Courageous said:

this is the best option for an A-Model:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS8ezQLoKCA_2I2OtRc4gC

Managed to bag one of those on Ebay last night. Apologies to whoever I out bid.

• Like 2

Thought it was about time to get going again here.

On 12/30/2019 at 9:33 AM, Golikell said:

ancient kit

Cheers, indeed, I think someone said that this might be the oldest kit being built in this GB.

On 12/30/2019 at 6:51 PM, Hewy said:

Some quality additions your putting into this oldie stuart, love those seat belts ,bang on they are

Cheers mate although some would say, why bother when their are better kits out there. True but it gives an opportunity to try some scratch, mods and stuff...never know when it might be needed.

Anyhoo,

20200105-153430-1.jpg

The undersides needed some work. As I've mentioned, this Pony will in a flying attitude, so the tail wheel doors have been closed with a bit of plasticard. The seem has been made good with some PPP and sanding. The radiator has been made a little deeper with the use of plasticard and faired-in with some PPP and sanding. Will need a shot of primer to see how things are.

20200105-153501-1.jpg

A better view of the radiator inlet.

20200105-153556-1.jpg

This going to be the best of a bad job exercise. The canopy is well, 40+ years old, a bit damaged and distorted, the problem area is the starboard rear quarter. Some plastic shims have been added to fill the void and later, some judicious masking will hopefully hide most of it.

The plan is to finish off this cockpit area and the move on to wings, oh what fun, no detail at all.

Stuart

• Like 10

Looking nice Stuart, and very good to see an original 1/72 Allison engined Mustang kit in the GB.

I sold one of these a few years back, clearing out the old stuff 'I'll never make'. Now, having joined BM and am building more kits in GBs I regret it! I did the FROG GB last summer and could have built it there, or here. Never mind, plenty more kits in the stash.

I look forward to following.

Cheers,

Edited by Johnson
Posted before I read page 2 - Dohh!!!

On 1/6/2020 at 12:36 AM, Cookenbacher said:

Nice work Stuart, especially the modified radiator intake, looks perfect.

7 hours ago, Andwil said:

Good work on that radiator ducting.

Cheers guys. The radiator wasn't that far out but with a quick hack, fit, fill and sand, it was worth it.

On 1/6/2020 at 1:16 AM, Ratch said:

I'm sure you'll lick that canopy into shape

I'm not lickin' nothin' but I'm going to try and make it look better.

7 minutes ago, Johnson said:

Looking nice Stuart, and very good to see an original 1/72 Allison engined Mustang kit in the GB.

Thanks Charlie. This old Frog kit gives me a chance to do experimentation.

As to progress, it's busy here but I can tell you that I couldn't live without a gun-sight in the 'pit', so I've cobbled something together and I've dipped the glazing in some Klear. As I've removed all the raised panel lines, I need to scribe some, also need some gun ports and ammo chutes.

Stuart

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Too much going on but here I am.

20200122-220015-1.jpg

Wings on and after the raised detail having been removed very early on, the ammunition hatches were scribed in. Also of note here, you can see that I've back dated the starboard wing leading edge to something near where it should be. Their was enough plastic that no packing was needed on the inside, just got to replicate this on the port side before moving onto the chin.

Stuart

• Like 7