RAF C-130 Tan/Brown Scheme Stencils

757flyer

Does anyone have a close-up of the Crash Axe and Fire Extinguisher stencil worn on the forward left and aft right fuselage of the RAF C-130s in the Crud & Custard and later temperate scheme?  I assume these stencils were also used on other types, but so far, I haven't had much luck finding good images of them.

Thanks,

Mike

Not great images but you can get the general idea.

Aircraft in original Dark Earth/ Mid Stone scheme with red/white/blue national markings gives an idea of the style  -  http://www.c-130.net/g3/c-130-photos/European-C-130-Photos/British-C-130-Photos/XV203  -  which was kept when the national markings were changed to red/blue a few years later.

AirScale decals for the early C-130K give a better idea of the actual markings -  https://www.airline-hobby-estore.com/product-p/adts7201.htm  -  which were a standard safety marking for RAF multi-engine/multi-seat aircraft of the time.

I used to have a copy of the RAF Rescue From Crashed Aircraft booklet issued to Civilian Emergency Services somewhere which I am sure has a drawing of the marking itself , but it is obviously somewhere so safe that I cannot put my hands on it at the moment.

Edited by Des

On 11/12/2019 at 15:23, 757flyer said:

Does anyone have a close-up of the Crash Axe and Fire Extinguisher stencil worn on the forward left and aft right fuselage of the RAF C-130s in the Crud & Custard and later temperate scheme?  I assume these stencils were also used on other types, but so far, I haven't had much luck finding good images of them.

Thanks,

Mike

This is from the AP 119 series denoting dimensions and colours for the markings.  Stencils were usually cut out of a material called Madras Board, a fairly thick card like material.  The parking was either s[raed on through the stencil or marked out and masked then sprayed - the latter less often for obvious reasons.  They were fairly consistent throughout the RAF wherever required.  They were either marked horizontally as shown or vertically dependent on the space available or as detailed in the markings drawings as prepared by the manufacturers/sub-contractors.  In the case of the C-130K, tis would have been Marshals of Cambridge. 

spacer.png

There were variations in the early days :-

spacer.png

spacer.png

HTH

Dennis

Dennis,

Many thanks - that is a fantastic reference.  Interesting in the photos you included that the ax and extinguisher are in different orders on different aircraft...

Is it possible to obtain copies of AP119 volumes?  Are any available online?  I was able to find a 1960s and 1977 version listed in the RAF Museum Archives.  Is it possible to get photocopies from the museum?

Thanks again,

Mike

14 hours ago, 757flyer said:

Is it possible to obtain copies of AP119 volumes?  Are any available online?  I was able to find a 1960s and 1977 version listed in the RAF Museum Archives.  Is it possible to get photocopies from the museum?

There was a download link somewhere a few years back for a 1971 copy , no idea now where that was but if you pm with an email address I could send you a copy. 

3 hours ago, Des said:

There was a download link somewhere a few years back for a 1971 copy , no idea now where that was but if you pm with an email address I could send you a copy. 

@757flyer 

That is a better offer from Des as his copy is nearer the date you are interested in than my scan (1987).  As I said there were variations in these markings over the years.

HTH

Dennis 

On 12/11/2019 at 10:01 PM, Des said:

Aircraft in original Dark Earth/ Mid Stone scheme

Just for the record on entry into RAF service, Hercules C.1s were finished in Dark Earth and Light Stone (not Mid Stone). Correct colours were British Standard BS381C: 450 Dark Earth / 361 Light Stone.

Mid Stone was the shade used along with Dark Earth and Azure Blue in the wartime RAF North Africa/ Mediterranean scheme and quite a different colour.  It matched 362 in the 1948 issue of BS381C and was withdrawn in 1964. 

Rich

Edited by RichG
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, RichG said:

Just for the record on entry into RAF service, Hercules C.1s were finished in Dark Earth and Light Stone (not Mid Stone). Correct colours were British Standard BS381C: 450 Dark Earth / 361 Light Stone.

Mid Stone was the shade used along with Dark Earth and Azure Blue in the wartime RAF North Africa/ Mediterranean scheme and quite a different colour.  It matched 362 in the 1948 issue of BS381C and was withdrawn in 1964. 

Rich

Trusting to memory is always a risk , should have checked first , many thanks for setting it right.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Des said:

PM sent.  MANY thanks for your help!!!

Mike