Cierva C.30a OK-ATS circa mid/late 30’s.. Mini Art 1/35

This is Mini Art’s new 1/35 Cierva C.30a kit (41006). It’s a re-boxing of their Avro 671 Rota Mk.1 (41008) released a couple of months back with new decals for four civilian schemes including this Czechoslovakian example. This particular aircraft (c/n 739) was delivered to shoe manufacturer Bat’a in Oct 1934 for publicity purposes  - just what every shoe manufacturer needs! The aircraft was last recorded at the Belgrade International Aeronautical Exhibition in 1938 and is thought to have been destroyed when Germany invaded Czechoslovakia in 1939. Not a lot to say about the kit really other than it’s an exquisite kit, loved the build and I’ve stashed a shed load away doubled up in their boxes so the Mrs won’t know how many I’ve bought!

I do have a few question marks over Mini Arts colour/serial references. I would love to know where they got the colour references for the green from as a number of mine show OK-ATS wearing standard overall ‘Cierva’ blue. Which is correct? - the problem of course is there aren’t any colour photographs to confirm the colours. I do however love the green scheme. Secondly for anyone contemplating the original Avro 671 Rota issue note that the DR623 option is in-fact a Cierva C.30a rather than a true Avro Rota. DR623 was originally a civilian airframe pressed into military service hence the C.30a designation. Thats probably just being a little picky but a second option on the decal sheet is AP516 which was in-fact a Hurricane 11B! Looking at references AP510 is probably what it should have been though once again this was an impressed civilian C.30a.

Whatever the problems with colours etc it’s still one lovely kit and I've got another two on the bench at the moment. Now, any chance of a Cierva C.6a or C.6d in 1/35 - thought not! Hope it’s of interest.

cierva 1

• Like 30

Nicely done, I hope my attempt is as good.

Just one small observation. Mini Art's instruction show the control column being fixed to the rear cockpit's instrument panel, you've left it hanging clear. I appreciate its counter intuitive but Mini Art are correct. 

The following is the procedure for take-off taken from the C30 Owners Manual I own.

Note line 8

STARTING UP PREPARATORY TO “TAKING OFF.” NORMAL CONDITIONS.

1.   Head into wind.

2.   Set fore and aft bias gear about 2/3rds down.

3.   Pull wheel brake handle well up.

4.   Open throttle slightly.

5.   Release rotor brake.

6.   Move short handle (i.e. same as rotor brake) towards seat and slowly ease it up. Finally pull it up as far as it will go, otherwise the clutch will slip

7.   Slowly open throttle.

8.   When motor rev. counter shows 120 r.p.m. release catch holding stick, so that the stick is free, still keep fully forward.  At this stage check engine and rotor speed at ratio of 8:1 (engine 960 – rotor 120).  This shows the clutch is fully in.

9.   Continue opening throttle slowly until rotor shows 180 r.p.m. (In little or no wind rotor r.p.m. can be increased to 200 or 210.

10.      Move left hand to “quick release” lever just forward of the throttle lever and depress inwards and push forward through the gate on the quadrant.  Both clutch and wheel brakes are then thrown off together.

11.      Open throttle fully and ease stick back when an air speed of from 25 to 35 m.p.h. is reached.  During the “take-off” keep a firm pressure on the right pedal of rudder bar as the machine tends to turn left.

12.      When clear of ground ease stick forward and climb at about 50-55 m.p.h.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Aeronut said:

Nicely done, I hope my attempt is as good.

Just one small observation. Mini Art's instruction show the control column being fixed to the rear cockpit's instrument panel, you've left it hanging clear. I appreciate its counter intuitive but Mini Art are correct. 

The following is the procedure for take-off taken from the C30 Owners Manual I own.

Note line 8

STARTING UP PREPARATORY TO “TAKING OFF.” NORMAL CONDITIONS.

1.   Head into wind.

2.   Set fore and aft bias gear about 2/3rds down.

3.   Pull wheel brake handle well up.

4.   Open throttle slightly.

5.   Release rotor brake.

6.   Move short handle (i.e. same as rotor brake) towards seat and slowly ease it up. Finally pull it up as far as it will go, otherwise the clutch will slip

7.   Slowly open throttle.

8.   When motor rev. counter shows 120 r.p.m. release catch holding stick, so that the stick is free, still keep fully forward.  At this stage check engine and rotor speed at ratio of 8:1 (engine 960 – rotor 120).  This shows the clutch is fully in.

9.   Continue opening throttle slowly until rotor shows 180 r.p.m. (In little or no wind rotor r.p.m. can be increased to 200 or 210.

10.      Move left hand to “quick release” lever just forward of the throttle lever and depress inwards and push forward through the gate on the quadrant.  Both clutch and wheel brakes are then thrown off together.

11.      Open throttle fully and ease stick back when an air speed of from 25 to 35 m.p.h. is reached.  During the “take-off” keep a firm pressure on the right pedal of rudder bar as the machine tends to turn left.

12.      When clear of ground ease stick forward and climb at about 50-55 m.p.h.

Hello mate It popped off the panel during the faffing about attaching the rotor head and trying to get it all to sit about right over the rear fuselage - since reattached. You may already know that Mini Art are releasing a winter version with skis in early 2020.

What a beautiful piece of work! I love the finish, and the folded rotors look great.

The shoe company having a Cierva is new to me, but did you know that today they have an airworthy (and immaculately restored) Lockheed 10 Electra? I'm not sure if it's one they had before the war or represents same, but it is an achingly beautiful aircraft.

19 hours ago, petetasker said:

Now, any chance of a Cierva C.6a or C.6d in 1/35 - thought not!

You appear to have misspelled C.19 Mk.III ;) Were Mini Art to release one of those I'd be on it in a heartbeat!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, petetasker said:

Hello mate It popped off the panel during the faffing about attaching the rotor head and trying to get it all to sit about right over the rear fuselage - since reattached. You may already know that Mini Art are releasing a winter version with skis in early 2020.

Skis, it’ll be floats next (Hopefully).

In fact, with a new engine (Salmson?) there are also a whole bunch of colourful French options available.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, k5054nz said:

What a beautiful piece of work! I love the finish, and the folded rotors look great.

The shoe company having a Cierva is new to me, but did you know that today they have an airworthy (and immaculately restored) Lockheed 10 Electra? I'm not sure if it's one they had before the war or represents same, but it is an achingly beautiful aircraft.

You appear to have misspelled C.19 Mk.III ;) Were Mini Art to release one of those I'd be on it in a heartbeat!

Interesting. Mini airliner thingy's are not really my thing but the little Electra was a lovely looking aeroplane. Sorry about the misspelling - yes a C.19 would do very nicely😀

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Aeronut said:

Skis, it’ll be floats next (Hopefully).

In fact, with a new engine (Salmson?) there are also a whole bunch of colourful French options available.

Floats would be superb and I would love a proper Leo machine though it would take a bit of rejigging panel line wise etc around the forward fuselage and of course a new engine. I’ve thought about giving it a go - a bit of filler and rescribing. If I could find an engine and decals it would be a lot simpler. Love some of the French Navy schemes.