This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

JohnT

E-mail- - who do you recommend?

Hi Guys and Gals

I have been using Yahoo since, well it seems forever.  recently the number of intrusive ads has become a bug in that my access is delayed while ads download it seems.  We live in the sticks and pray for fibre.

Yesterday I get this pop up

"We've updated our advertising partners and how we work with them...

By clicking 'OK', you agree to allow our partners to access your device to collect data, serve and measure personalised ads, and create interest profiles. Click 'Manage options' to view our partners and update your choices."

and there appears to be no choice to say "no thanks".  

I had a Google at alternatives and after a half hour of reading detail that confused an old non techie guy like me I thought to ask what the experience of the members was in relation to a good hassle free email provider was?  Anyone really happy with their service and recommend I shift over?

Thanks in advance as always

John

I use Gmail for my day to day, as it has no real ads and popups (i find when using, may be affected by some things below) . I'm quite confident you wont lose your password and private data in an attack like some other providers (Looking at you Yahoo!), and the functionality that ties into Google Drive and Google Photos etc are quite helpful.

However there have been cases where apps and staff were reading emails to improve performance of various things, hunting out keywords etc, so certainly not free of criticism 

https://bgr.com/2018/07/03/gmail-privacy-humans-reading-email/

Another 'must have' essential is the ABP popup blocker if you use chrome, as that strips out so much advertising junk you wouldn't believe. Happy to see that ABP has never blocked a data request from BritModeller - compare that to my tab with Youtube open with 642 refused requests! 

Download link - Adblock Plus for Chrome

The problem is that there is no such thing as 'Free' when it comes to online services. Unless your paying some premium somewhere, your data is generally being used for advertising or statistical purposes. 

That said, ProtonMail may be the way forwards if your really into your data security - can get a free 500mb a month account. https://protonmail.com/
A few of my more security conscious friends recommend it. 

I've got two accounts, one being Livemail. The problem with it being that you can't attach photos to an email. Our computer man says it's because Microsoft are trying to get us to use another of their services which we'd probably have to pay for. Because of these problems, our man put us onto EM Client. We've been with them for about four or five years now and never had any problems with them.

https://www.emclient.com/

John.

For most regular, everyday things, I use the email that my phone company gave me when I signed up for their Internet service 17 years ago. works good and there aren't any ads. A few years after, I was told about GOOGLE's gmail and it's large storage and ability to send large files. I use that a lot for for various hobby related information. 

I can sent files as large as 15mb and I have a 15gb of free storage. So far, in the 12 years that I've had it, I've only used 63% of my storage capacity. If I went back through it, I could easily lower that to 50%.

Chris

I had to change last year as my NZ ISP discontinued their mail service. I already had a Gmail account for 'non-essential' comms, but as I dont like anything to do with Google I looked for an alternative. 

Local advice seemed to favour Outlook so thats what I went with. No complaints so far!

I use live.co.uk and it seems fine. Haven’t noticed any adverts.

Graham

I use the same, and with an adblocker in place, no problem. I use my ISP address for all my 'commercial' emails and outlook/live for personal stuff.