Pledge floor cleaner as a gloss varnish

Andy350

Hi, what is that product that some use to apply the gloss finish before decals are used?  I believe the product was renamed at some point?

I found this online - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pledge-11182-Revive-Transparent-Liquid/dp/B000ARPH4C/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?keywords=Pledge+Revive+It+Gloss&qid=1576057917&sr=8-1-fkmr1

Edited by Andy350

1 hour ago, rayprit said:

Thanks for that link, it's a shame we cannot get hold of the Pledge Floor care finish in the uk.

Edited by Julien
please dont reply and include pictures and.or videos

11 minutes ago, Andy350 said:

Thanks for that link, it's a shame we cannot get hold of the Pledge Floor care finish in the uk.

Look for 'Astonish' in Home Bargain shops - about £1 for 750ml. Its exactly the same

• Thanks 1

On Amazon UK the "Revive" product is the same as the old Future. It is on the pricey side, but lasts a long time. I use it diluted 50% with IPA for airbrushing, so goes a long way.

Is the "Astonish" really the same formula? I ask because the Revive label lists a number of 'proprietary' ingredients. I would be concerned about yellowing with age, which is proven not to be an issue with Future/Revive

Cheers,

Colin

37 minutes ago, ckw said:

Is the "Astonish" really the same formula? I ask because the Revive label lists a number of 'proprietary' ingredients. I would be concerned about yellowing with age, which is proven not to be an issue with Future/Revive

Yes it is. I've compared the old Future, the newer Pledge and Astonish ingredients - they are all the same. Only the scent ingredient was different

btw, there was a 'household' and a 'commercial' grade Future. The household one yellows over time, the commercial grade didn't. It was a lottery which one you got in the bottle. I have a bot of Future which has yellowed and I have one which has not

1 hour ago, Andy350 said:

Thanks, am I looking for specific floor cleaner by that brand.

ah, yes, Wood Floor Polish, its in a pale yellow plastic bottle, sometimes its called 'Flawless'. Read the directions, two things to note, 1. it says to add to a bucket of water 2. it says to remove it using ammonia after about 5 coats - if it doesn't say those then its not the right stuff.

Not all branches keep it. Last time I was in branch which had it I got 6 bottles - I use it for other things than just models

Astonish%20old%2C%2001-L.jpg

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

Yes it is. I've compared the old Future, the newer Pledge and Astonish ingredients - they are all the same. Only the scent ingredient was different

btw, there was a 'household' and a 'commercial' grade Future. The household one yellows over time, the commercial grade didn't. It was a lottery which one you got in the bottle. I have a bot of Future which has yellowed and I have one which has not

ah, yes, Wood Floor Polish, its in a pale yellow plastic bottle, sometimes its called 'Flawless'. Read the directions, two things to note, 1. it says to add to a bucket of water 2. it says to remove it using ammonia after about 5 coats - if it doesn't say those then its not the right stuff.

Not all branches keep it. Last time I was in branch which had it I got 6 bottles - I use it for other things than just models

Astonish%20old%2C%2001-L.jpg

thanks, it wasn't in our local branch.  I will keep looking around.

To be honest, all these "floor" polishes will do the job, they just put a hard protective coat on tiles(models)…………...its just a matter of finding one that you like, some will fade, some will yellow, find what other people use, having said that everybodys different, some like floor polish, others wood polish...…….I still have the old stuff and it will see me through to the end of time

• Thanks 1

I thought most brands of acrylic floor polish were basically all the same, as for use in this hobby. Over time and distance, the name of the products have changed, but the formulation stays about the same. 

I'm not sure about that wood floor polish mentioned above. That may be something else. 

Chris

4 hours ago, Kushan_Farsight said:

is this a suitable material to use on an acrylic painted model?

I use Acrylics about 80 - 90% of the time and use pledge with 0 issues. Though if you're truly concerned about it. Id paint a test panel and try it out before using it on a model. I brush it on and have Airbrushed it in the past. I dont airbrush it anymore as it has a tendency to dry to quickly and then cause issues with my next painting session. Im not excited about messing up a $225.00 airbrush to the point of no return thus my reason for reverting back to brushing it. Due to its make up it self levels which make for no brushstrokes. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I use Acrylics about 80 - 90% of the time and use pledge with 0 issues. Though if you're truly concerned about it. Id paint a test panel and try it out before using it on a model. I brush it on and have Airbrushed it in the past. I dont airbrush it anymore as it has a tendency to dry to quickly and then cause issues with my next painting session. Im not excited about messing up a $225.00 airbrush to the point of no return thus my reason for reverting back to brushing it. Due to its make up it self levels which make for no brushstrokes. 

Dennis

Thanks Dennis, very useful.