Ta152H kit

JohnMacG

Many thanks for posting the Scale Models article @invidia. I love those old pieces, I have a similar one from the Airfix Magazine probably from a similar date, I'll post a copy on here.

But what I found very interesting was the two photos of 150168 taken at the exhibition of German aircraft as Farnborough in Oct/Nov 1945 - I'd never seen before! I've been looking at Ta 152H pics for years and have most of the books on them, but never seen those before. Is there any chance you could scan the pics at a higher res? 600 dpi? Or close-up photos?

Cheers,

50 minutes ago, Johnson said:

Many thanks for posting the Scale Models article @invidia. I love those old pieces, I have a similar one from the Airfix Magazine probably from a similar date, I'll post a copy on here.

But what I found very interesting was the two photos of 150168 taken at the exhibition of German aircraft as Farnborough in Oct/Nov 1945 - I'd never seen before! I've been looking at Ta 152H pics for years and have most of the books on them, but never seen those before. Is there any chance you could scan the pics at a higher res? 600 dpi? Or close-up photos?

Cheers,

i will try and take some closer/better photos. however the magazines are 48 years old and faded and also the pictures in the magazine are not that good.

On 12/11/2019 at 10:36 AM, Graham Boak said:

The Aosima kit gives you a choice of cowlings with open or closed gills, which would benefit the Frog tooling as this part was notably poor on this, looking like a poorly formed plunge moulding.

I am still looking for a spare with open gills, as the Arado 240 was always seen with these open and I've only one Aosima Ta154 kit.  I can't really justify a second one.

Not sure how easily available this is and it is definitely not the most economical way I suppose to solve the issue but you could try to get a hold of two of High Planes models conversion kits for the Tamiya Dora 9.

http://acc.kitreview.com/me262fw190dhighplanesreviewbg_1.htm

Interesting thought, though I suspect that the bits, even if available, might end up on my oId Airfix Dora which is still lurking about somewhere.  More importantly, I'm not sure that the cowls were identical. Probably not because of the different engines.

Ah ok, I didn't realize it was a different variant of the 213. Reading up on it the configuration is physically different between de A and E versions so yes, the cowling may be affected.

If not I can recommend it, it is a nicely detailed part.

A really 'historic' article and it just shows the lengths modellers were prepared to go to get an accurate model.  Sadly it misses out on the rear fuselage extension by a constant cross-section 'plug'.

On 12/11/2019 at 10:21 AM, Wm Blecky said:

Hasegawa never released a Ta.152.  Dragon's kit is their own.  Aoshima's looks like it was tooled by Hasegawa though.  The similarities between it and the Hasegawa 190 family of kits are remarkably similar.  I've not seen the Kora release, but if they used the Aoshima kit, it's worth getting if you can not locate the Aoshima boxing.

That is definitely "NOT" aka almost entirely correct. I know as I got TWO of them the last time I was in Tokyo. I did get the Dragon kit in Hasegawa boxes. 1/72, not 1/48.

However I agree that the Aoshima Kit is the one to look for. I hunted down as many as I would while in Japan and got a total of six. Pretty cheap too, about 10 Dollars each.

Edited by Abakan
  • Like 1

On 12/11/2019 at 6:00 AM, Graham Boak said:

It would certainly help the Frog/Revell version, but it has closed gills so wouldn't help me.

Graham, something that just occurred to me.  Pavla does a Fw.190D-9 update set that includes a cowling with open slats:

spacer.png

Would that cowling be suitable?

• Like 2

Offhand I'd say yes, but it would depend upon actually seeing the two together.

The two designs had different internals, but I don't think that this is visible externally.  It occurs to me that because of the handed intake behind the open gills, one of these would be closed permanently and this would differ between the two FWs.  It would also differ between the Ar.240 and 440.  This suggests that another Ta.152 cowl would be preferred, but it wouldn't be difficult to close one bill and open another.

• 4 weeks later...

After picking up one of these kits on a whim this afternoon as i passed by a model shop on the way home, i was a little dejected to find some seriously old tooling when opening the box.

However, after finding this thread, and its wealth of resources, im pumped - thanks everyone! Whilst its not exactly filled to the brim with details, on the whole the kit seems relatively accurate in general proportions, and it leaves me a few places i can give a go at scratch building knowing it cant be worse than the supplied kit offering! 

@Johnson great resource - some of these pics will be essential for my scratchbuilding plans! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/11/2019 at 3:36 AM, Graham Boak said:

I am still looking for a spare with open gills,

Graham,

I am sure both are OOP, but you might be able to find a 1/72 resin one by  Airwaves/DB SC7271  Loon Models had a cowling includedin  their Fw-190D-13 conversion, IIRC- maybe at a swap meet or vendor table? Quickboost did a 1/72 resin Ta-152 cowling, QB 72-194, which I think is still available, but it has closed cooling gills, IIRC.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

I had an idea of going the other way using the Frog/Revell Ta 152 wings with the fuselage from the old Italeri kit and some parts from the later and nice detailed Revell FW 190 F8/R11kit...

Cheers / André 

http://www.modellversium.de/kit/artikel.php?id=12659

Edited by Andre B

Yet another detailed point on the Revell / FROG Ta152H: there is a step moulded between the wing lower surface and the centre section which is not present on the Aoshima kit or indeed any other FW190 kit I've seen.  I assumed this was incorrect so dremelled off the step (luckily the plastic on the centre section is thick enough) and mounted the wing lower on the fuse to make it flush.  

I added some plastic to the sides of the cowlings in front of the cockpit to make it wider.

Oh also, aren't the prop blades moulded with the trailing edge forward if installed as per instructions?  And the spinner is a horrible shape and could stand replacing.

Unfortunately, the update I was planning on my 152H ended up being trashed because my scribing skills were not up to the job.  Having been inspired be adey's build linked above, I might have another go.

Regards

Martin