DaveCov's 2019 Scratchings

davecov

A quite year in terms of the number of models made but numbers do not tell the whole story of my output for 2019. Early part of the year I was knocking out some classic Airfix kits then priority had to be given to a rather big scratchbuild.

A conversion of the Airfix 1/76 AEC Matador & 5.5 Inch Gun (A01314) to a 6x6 AEC Coles Crane:
spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

This was a more complicated build than it looks as I converted the chassis from a 4x4 to a 6x6. The compressor, crane cab and jib are 100% scratchbuilt. It would have been much easier to use the Refuelling Set Matador and the Recovery Set Coles Crane but where is the fun in taking the easy route? Tools came from the spares box.

Airfix 1/72 North American OV-10A Bronco (265)
spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Airfix 1/72 Cessna 0-2A (01053-7)
spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Airfix 1/32 1905 Rolls Royce (02447-1)
spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Built OOB apart from a pair of "wobbly eyes" on the headlamps!

Scratchbuilt 1/350 HMS Prince of Wales (R09)

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

This build was commissioned by Airfix for display at SMW 2019 and then onto the Hornby Hobbies Visitor Centre in Margate.

You can read about the build here. More pictures in the Ready For Inspection Forum here

That is all for this year.

Dave

• Like 27

• 3 weeks later...

Your shipy thing is a real show stopper and I'm surprised you manged to build anything else in the year. Nice selection of models built to an excellent standard. 

• Like 1

Thank you, Gorby.

Actually, the Coles Crane job was done before I even knew I was getting the Airfix commission to build the aircraft carrier. The other three builds were nice, quickly-built, diversions from the "Big One". If I hadn't made them then I may well have lost my marbles!

Dave

• Haha 1