1/72 me 109e

TANK63

My opinion about almost all these old kits is if you've got it, then make it.  There will be lots of options available for other kits later, just don't buy it again (generally).  I would try to find out a bit more about the type and the kit - especially if there's anything odd about it that could be easily fixed.  Thanks Wulfman for popping in while I was typing, that does sound not easily fixed.  Unless you have another 109 kit around that might be a little short so a combination could give you one decent model?   Hello Heller G?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Johnson said:

I have the Airfix Bf109E-4 (kit A01008) in my stash and will happily measure bits of it if it.

I notice that the Airfix starter (kit A55106) is the a Bf109E-3. Is this the same moulding? Apart from the obvious differences, I know very little about 109s - sorry!

I also have a very old 1992 Hasegawa Bf109E4/7 (kit 51309)  lurking somewhere in my stash (OMS - old modellers syndrome - I know I have that kit somewhere). Anyway, does anyone have an opinion on the old Hasegawa kit? Not worth making considering the newer kits?

The old Hasegawa kit is poor. If you align the rear fuselage (which as said above is small especially the tail) to drawings the nose points up giving the fuselage a banana shape. Certain parts are useful for detailing other kits.

This also applies to the revised tooling of the kit

IMO

The original Airfix kit as well as the new generation are worth building as well as the Heller one and the Matchbox is worthwhile considering. The Tamiya and ICM kits are also good. Avoid the Revell and Hasegawa as well as the original Academy issue (this bore a resemblance to the Hasegawa kit) There is also an Idea?? kit that is a Hasegawa clone.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Johnson said:

I also have a very old 1992 Hasegawa Bf109E4/7 (kit 51309)  lurking somewhere in my stash (OMS - old modellers syndrome - I know I have that kit somewhere). Anyway, does anyone have an opinion on the old Hasegawa kit? Not worth making considering the newer kits?

The revised Hasegawa kit of the 90's (with improved fuselage, replacing an original from the early 80's IIRC), is not too bad to my eye. Crisp molding, nice surface detail, sparse cockpit as usual for the brand.

The chief flaws that I can remember are the rear fuselage and fin/rudder are rather undersized, and the canopy a bit pinched at the top (though the early "round-top" canopy is better than the post E-4 squared-up one). There was a tail "fixer" set (Cooper Details maybe?) that improved the overall appearance to an amazing degree, no doubt scarce today though. 

I have one of these on the "shelf of doom" with Coopers' tail and cockpit in place, and fully intend to finish it one of these days!

I would rate the Tamiya, Airfix, and ICM kits as better, but the old Hasey will not embarrass you. Worth having if only to steal the prop for your Airfix, LOL...

Edited by MDriskill
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

My opinion about almost all these old kits is if you've got it, then make it.

Could do as a quick build in next year's BoB GB. Possibly crashed...

Hi Graham Boak

Sorry for interrupting your typing (how on earth would I know?) If you are referring to my Hasegawa 109E?
It was binned years ago along with the ghastly Heller Gs.(the late 109K was OK though.)

Hope I haven’t interrupted your typing again.

Regards Wulfman 

22 minutes ago, Charlie Hugo said:

IMO

The original Airfix kit as well as the new generation are worth building.... 

IMO nothing wrong with the outline, it has both normal and tropical filters and also some useful armament options (4 x 50kg bombs and rack as well as a 550kg one and a drop tank) but faint hearts might be deterred by the rivets which liberally festoon the thing.  And, by the time I bought my last one (for the transfers, just before the new one came out), the moulds were wearing.

17 minutes ago, MDriskill said:

The revised Hasegawa kit of the 90's (with a revised fuselage, replacing an original from the early 80's IIRC), is not too bad to my eye. Crisp molding, nice surface detail, sparse cockpit as usual for the brand.

The chief flaws that I can remember are the rear fuselage and fin/rudder are rather undersized, and the canopy a bit pinched at the top (though the early "round-top" canopy is better than the post E-4 squared-up one). There was a tail "fixer" set (Cooper Details maybe?) that improved the overall appearance to an amazing degree, no doubt scarce today though. 

I have one of these on the "shelf of doom" with Coopers' tail and cockpit in place, and fully intend to finish it one of these days!

I would rate the Tamiya, Airfix, and ICM kits as better, but the old Hasey will not embarrass you. Worth having if only to steal the prop for your Airfix, LOL...

Just looked through my stash list, I have no Hasegawa 1/72 BF109E's in stock, even the "revised" one did not make the cut. I have a couple of Airfix (both original and new) 109E's Tamiya, Heller ICM and a lone Academy (new tooling) and many of the revised Hasegawa G's Fortunately I have a pile of sprues from the old Hasegawa kit that can be used as donor props for the Airfix kits

Does the brand name Aoda mean anything to anyone? I have 3 different boxings of a Bf-109E kit from that company, Chinese, released in about 1994. Original kit? Hasegawa copy? Academy copy? I don't have much to compare them with, and a search hasn't helped. The plastic looks good - neatly molded and reasonably well-detailed; something about the cockpit parts suggests Hasegawa of about that era. Thanks in advance!

John

15 hours ago, Procopius said:

I did. That's why I disagree.

Well my "contention", based on your previous reply, would be that you haven't seen or compared all 3 of those kits.  Of course, maybe you just like being contentious?  😆

15 hours ago, Procopius said:

I did. That's why I disagree.

Well my "contention", based on your previous reply, would be that you haven't seen or compared all 3 of those kits.  Of course, maybe you just like being contentious?  😆

10 minutes ago, Wm Blecky said:

As it happens, I have. I went downstairs to check just now, since I have built Airfix and ICM 109Es, and an unbuilt Tamiya that I'm planning on crosskitting with an ICM kit for my own amusement.

ICM top, Airfix bottom. I don't have a very scientific set-up, but the two kits are the same length. The major difference is in the shape of the cowling on Airfix vs. ICM:

IMG_20191212_232614

IMG_20191212_232806

IMG_20191212_232624

Tamiya with Airfix:

IMG_20191212_233030

As you can see, the Tamiya fuselage is somewhat shorter.

I welcome and encourage anyone who has the set-up and the inclination for it to do some more scientific comparisons, but certainly I'm convinced to my own satisfaction.

• Like 3

I don't know man, your pictures are only further confirming what I know to be true...

I'll leave you be with your beliefs on this subject.  I am ok with that.

I will offer you a few suggestions though.  If you are going to cross kit the ICM with Tamiya, the ICM engine cowling is the only thing worth pirating.  It seems to fit better than Tamiya's own piece (I can not explain that one!).  When fitting the fuselage to the wings, the softer plastic of the ICM kit fuselage was a real pain in the rear, in particular the lower rear opening on the fuselage when fitting to the Tamiya wing.  The ICM tailwheel is the more correct sized item to use as well (Tamiya's is undersized).

Having done this project myself, I'd just live with the Tamiya kit or you could just cut the fuselage yourself and extend it (that's essentially what ICM did).  That being said, as I mentioned previously, I have read that this it not the 100% correct way to correct this.  I will try to find the article, but apparently,  to do this "right", one would have to make a few cuts in different places on the rear fuselage and space them accordingly to get the "correct" length and shape.  As I said, I will try to find that article and will share it if I am able to find it.

Edited by Wm Blecky
typo

Right I took my kits out and measured

Rudder post to spinner backplate

Old Hasegawa 106 mm

New Hasegawa 106 mm (The Aoda kit is to all intents and purposes the same kit)

Tamiya 107 mm (and a bit)

Airfix (old) 108 mm

Airix ( new) 108 mm

ICM 109 mm

the variation between the ICM kit and the Airfix kit is in the length of the nose from cockpit to spinner backplate and between the ICM kit and the Tamiya is from the cockpit to the rudder post.

There is less than 0.5mm, difference between the Airfix kits and the Tamiya kit (and it can be attributed to poor eyesight

I have photos (not great) and need to upload to them here

Edited by Charlie Hugo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 12/15/2019 at 4:24 PM, sroubos said:

I'll say this for the Hasegawa kits, they are just as easy to build as the Tamiya. And can be had for a few quid at shows. 

And with the utterly unusable decals of an old Hase kit, the extra expense means it's as expensive or more as the Tamiya which you can get new for £12-ish anytime of the year.

9 hours ago, Phantome said:

And with the utterly unusable decals of an old Hase kit, the extra expense means it's as expensive or more as the Tamiya which you can get new for £12-ish anytime of the year.

Please, gentlemen, let's not pretend Tamiya decals are any good either.

22 hours ago, Procopius said:

Please, gentlemen, let's not pretend Tamiya decals are any good either.

Tamiya's decals are a vast improvement from a few years back. Every Tamiya kit that I've bought new in the past 5+ years has had nice, white decals rather than the older ivory whites, same with Hasegawa as I assume they get their decals from the same source.

People also need to know that Japanese decals must be put in very hot water to get them them thin. After that, they snuggle beautifully. Sure, Cartograph/Microscale/Aviprint decals are still better but they are far from unusable.

• Thanks 2