Revell P-51d 1/32

almac

Evening all. As the title says I’m building the Revell P-51d in 1/32 scale. This is an unexpected change of scale for me as I am a strictly 1/72 builder. The reason for this is I saw a YouTube video of a build of this kit and for some reason I thought I’d have a go at building something bigger for a change. And bigger it is the parts look enormous to me, I feel I’ve been shrunk. I’ve bought several kits after seeing some rather impressive builds on YouTube and I’m well aware mine won’t turn out even half as good but I think I’m going to have fun trying.  Anyways here is a pic of the box and the colour scheme I’ll be doing. So can’t wait to get started on Saturday. spacer.png

spacer.png

I had originally planned to do a Hasegawa p-51b in 1/72 so I might try and do that one as well if I can find it.

Cheers Allan

• Like 7

It does Looks a very nice kit doesn't it allan, I'm  in the same boat as you,mostly 72nd of  late and some 48th, but i rarely build 32nd scale, although i do have quite a few 32nd scale aircraft  in the stash, I'm  doing the same revell kit i hope we can iron out any difficulties between us ,

All the best

Glynn

• Like 2

Evening all. I’ve made a start on this today.  I’ve prepared all the cockpit parts and primed them with black Mr Surfacer 1500. Some of the parts needed a fair bit of cleaning up to remove mold seams so it took  a few hours to get where I am now. So far I’m enjoying the build and starting to get used to the larger parts. Tomorrow I’ll paint the interior green and the details. One thing I’m not sure about is the seat as there are two types but the instructions give no clue as to which one to use. I’ll do some research and hopefully find an answer. If anyone knows let me know please.

spacer.png

Cheers Allan

• Like 1

Hi Allan, it is my belief that the following is correct:

Schick-Johnson (early type) seat was fitted to:

. A-36

. P-51A

. P-51B

. P-51C

Schick-Johnson (late type) seat was fitted to:

. P-51D-15NA (late)

. P-51D-20NA

Warren-McArthur seat was fitted to:

. P-51D-5NA

. P-51D-10NA

. P-51D-15NA (early)

. P-51K

It’s thought though that the W-M seat may have been retrofitted to the earlier marks also.

In your photo above, the Warren-McArthur seat is the one on the left.

I’ll see if I can dig my sources out, the above is saved in my notes and was to hand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, SimonT said:

Hi Allan, it is my belief that the following is correct:

Schick-Johnson (early type) seat was fitted to:

. A-36

. P-51A

. P-51B

. P-51C

Schick-Johnson (late type) seat was fitted to:

. P-51D-15NA (late)

. P-51D-20NA

Warren-McArthur seat was fitted to:

. P-51D-5NA

. P-51D-10NA

. P-51D-15NA (early)

. P-51K

It’s thought though that the W-M seat may have been retrofitted to the earlier marks also.

In your photo above, the Warren-McArthur seat is the one on the left.

I’ll see if I can dig my sources out, the above is saved in my notes and was to hand.

Thanks Simon

• 4 weeks later...

Evening all. Thought I’d post an update to show I haven’t forgot about this build. Xmas and work kept me from fettling with bits of plastic. So a little  bit of progress tonight. Interior green painted on cockpit parts. Hopefully I’ll manage to find more time for modelling although SWMBO keeps talking about decorating, whatever that is. Anyways here is a boring pic of nothing much.

spacer.png

Cheers Allan 

• Like 4

Morning all. I painted some of the details on the cockpit tonight. I’m not the best with a small brush even in this larger scale but I’m happy enough with it. Only two months to go, must speed up or else I won’t make the deadline.

spacer.png

Cheers Allan 

• Like 5

Evening all. Progress continues albeit slowly. Almost finished the cockpit but getting tired so calling it a night. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers Allan 

• Like 7