Heather's quite busy year

Heather Kay

I didn't think I'd been all that active on the plastic modelling front, but I was quite surprised at my output for 2019. Let's see...

You can click through to my Flickr stream to see further details of each type, plus, of course a detour to the WIP threads if I can find them! Everything is 1/72nd scale.

My 1940 obsession saw me taking a serious look at the French Air Force, and the single-seat fighters in particular. 

40130958603_fb6065f392_b.jpg

Morane-Saulnier MS-406 C.1, from the Azur kit.

47043737102_4abc6787c1_b.jpg

HobbyBoss provided a decent Dewoitine D.520 C.1.

47043736712_08101bfa80_b.jpg

Marcel Bloch MB-152 C.1 from RS Models.

47159619852_5b295de765_b.jpg

The Curtiss H-75A-2 was from AZ Model.

48513081137_52d3aee325_b.jpg

The diminutive Caudron Renault CR.714 "Cyclone" finished the set, from RS Models.

You can find my French Fancies WIP thread is below, where you can expect further builds to appear in the coming years.

Two Group Builds over the year gave me things to do to expand my 1940 collection. Have I mentioned I am a little obsessed? I had lots of plans for the Trainers GB, but sadly got rather bogged down with a single build in the end. 

47893051071_bfffac4ac1_b.jpg

Airspeed Oxford MkI, from the Pavla kit. Plenty of filler on this one, some scratched up interior fittings, and reworked nacelles under the wings. I ended up scratching new undercarriage to correct the plane's attitude on the ground, and added some scratched detail for the turret gun mounting. Painting rather let me down, and I was getting utterly fed up with the thing by the end, but it looks like an Oxford, and sits nicely on the shelf.

WIP here:

For the Frog Classic GB, I worked on another pair of trainers. A fellow BMer kindly donated an original Frog Miles Magister, and I hacked about an Eastern Express repop of a Master.

48445695842_40c189ebaa_b.jpg

48445538586_4108a77058_b.jpg

With the aid of a scrap Frog Blenheim, I managed to convincingly convert the EE MkIII to MkII configuration. As with most of our builds, lots of help and encouragement came my way from the BM gang, for which I am eternally grateful.

Maggie's WIP is here:

And the Master is here:

A bit of a hiatus followed the Frog Classic GB, but the itch needed scratching. Technically, I built the Caudron at this point, but I'm not trying to be completely chronological with this review.

48858685357_a07d79df12_b.jpg

The Airfix Bristol Blenheim MkIV, which just leaves the Fairey Battle missing on my Bomber Command shelf. WIP, as ever, here:

The final completed build was something entirely different.

49006388921_b2d85213be_b.jpg

The only Belgian designed and built aircraft to see action against the invading German forces in 1940. The Renard R-31, from Azur-Ffrom, was a relatively simple build, with some very tiny PE details. A nice model of an unusual and rarely seen type. The WIP thread will eventually see other aircraft appear, though sadly no more Belgian types, unless you count the licence-built Fairey Battle and Hawker Hurricane. 

So, that was my 2019. I have surprised myself, since I really didn't think I had built so many over the year. Thank you all for following, showing an interest, passing on knowledge and references, and just being Britmodellers!

• Like 39

An excellent output of real quality models there Heather. They all look great and I’m guessing a few French flat nose bombers are possibly stacked in the build queue for next years Heller GB! 

Cheers, we’ll modelled and Merry Christmas.. Dave 

30 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

Your 2019/1940 collection is just outstanding Heather, what a great theme to build around.

Thank you. I’m still surprised at the variety of aircraft that a single year can throw up. I am making distant plans to extend the year beyond the Western European theatre and include the Middle East and Mediterranean. That would let me add a lot of Italian aircraft, with added Vickers Wellesley!

18 minutes ago, franky boy said:

Crikey Heather

That is a busy year!

Indeed. It surprised me!

17 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I’m guessing a few French flat nose bombers are possibly stacked in the build queue for next years Heller GB! 

Indeed they are!

• Like 2

That's a great collection and done in only 1 year.

I have completed S.F.A. during this years and the year before that. Actually, it's been a few decades since I last finished a model kit. 

Chris

12 hours ago, nimrod54 said:

A great collection Heather. It is good to see several seldom seen aircraft types so beautifully modelled too.

That’s the thing about 1940: Spitfires weren’t all that common. :giggle:

11 hours ago, dogsbody said:

I have completed S.F.A. during this years and the year before that. Actually, it's been a few decades since I last finished a model kit.

:sad:

Perhaps buy a small and simple kit to play with. When my mojo wanders off to do whatever it is mojos do on their own I select a small and simple kit from the stash. I prefer a model that doesn’t have a bazillion parts, or PE, or resin, and has a simple marking scheme that can be accomplished without too much trauma. It usually entices the mojo back home. 

2 minutes ago, CedB said:

Lovely collection Heather and beautifully finished.

Here's to another lot in 2020! :) 

There are plans to replace my overcrowded display cabinet with something substantially larger in the coming months. At the moment, I’m mostly building the small models until I get some more space. Then I get into the big stuff again! 

• Like 1

Cracking collection Heather, lovely models and all beautifully photographed - I find the black and white shots of the Magister and Master particularly evocative... :)

I need to pull my finger out too - your output this year is about what I achieve in 4 to 5 years!

Keith

Some nice models Heather. I dabbled in French fighters a couple of years back with the Hobbyboss MS406, but in British markings. The Frog builds have polished up very well. From my group builds, with a bit of work some the old kits look good 

Hello Heather !

Great year on your 1940's collection !!

Outstanding work for true, I really appreciate !!

And once again, let me thank you for your help on our 4 Rocs over Telford challenge !!

I don't know yet if we'll doing something here on my hometown for the rememberance of 1940.

In 2010, we did an exposition of materials and memorablia, but nothing is scheduled yet...

It has been a pleasure to meet you in Telford !!

Let me wish you a happy new year and 2020 to you and your family !

Sincerely.

CC

6 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

It has been a pleasure to meet you in Telford !!

Likewise, though it was rather brief!

I hope to be at SMW 2020 for both days, and there’s a possibility of being involved with the Battle of Britain IPMS SIG display. But that’s a way off yet.

My best wishes to you and yours for the coming year!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

The French ones are a revelation to me - I've always dismissed them but they look really interesting and varied.

Thanks Adrian!

I am hoping 2020 will see more offbeat French types - especially with the Heller Classic GB later in the year!

1 hour ago, Heather Kay said:

Thanks Adrian!

I am hoping 2020 will see more offbeat French types - especially with the Heller Classic GB later in the year!

As off-beat as this one?

49284150706_a5460f88d5_c.jpg

49283689328_c7dbff6881_c.jpg

Chris

• Haha 1