Dassault Mirage 2000

The model is the Monogram 1/48 Dassault Mirage 2000, the instructions are dated 1986. I built the kit somewhere between ’93 and ’95. It was years later that I finally took some photos of the model.   When it was built way back then, I had very little experience with weathering and wear on aircraft and most attempts were not that good. As my meager skills in that part of the art grew, I felt better about newer builds and sort of looked down on my old efforts. After I started using digital cameras to record my planes, some older builds never got any consideration.  I realized that was a bit unfair to those older builds and then saw them as "documentation" of my modeling abilities at that moment.  They were then taken out to the airport for their turn before the lens.

The paint was Model Master camouflage gray and a custom-mixed blue (tried to match a blue I’d seen in pics somewhere), both enamels, done back then with my Paasche H and an ancient, pulsing ol’ compressor that made an horrendous noise. Originally it carried two Exocets but I robbed one for my CSAF Mirage F-1 and used the kit-supplied drop tank in it’s place. I did add some gee-gaws to the cockpit that look okay still. I notice a bit of silvering, and some discoloration around a few decals. That’s happened in the last 10 or 12 years, but hey, they were laid down a long time ago. 😉 All in all, she turned out better in pics than in person. I think she’s passed the test of time pretty well and looks okay in the airport setting, posed in front of new hangars out there.   

Thanks to all for stopping by and taking a look at the model.   Please feel free to leave comments if you'd like!

Gary

SB%20three%20quarter%20front%201.jpg

front%20SB.jpg

full%20view%20south%201.jpg

midship%20toward%20front%20low%20angle.j

overhead%20cockpit.jpg

overhead%20from%20rear.jpg

overhead%20good%202.jpg

overhead%20SB.jpg

port%20%20full%20east.jpg

port%20full%201.jpg

port%20three%20quarter%20front.jpg

port%20three%20quarter%20rear%201.jpg

rear%20low%20angle.jpg

SB%20three%20quarter%20rear%20good%201.j

SB%20three%20quarter%20front%20best.jpg

canopy%20raised%201.jpg

Edited by Gary Brantley
  • Like 31

20 hours ago, desert falcon said:

She's a good looking lady, would be a shame to stow her away again !

Thank you desert falcon! 🥤  She lives in the display cabinet just beside her "cousin" the Mirage F.1! 😀

18 hours ago, Alpha Delta 210 said:

Lovely model shown off by great photography. 

I appreciate that Alpha Delta 210, many thanks on both counts!  :worthy:

18 hours ago, dbay133 said:

Looks very good.  I would be proud to display that on my shelf.

Graeme

Thanks Graeme!   Nice of you to comment sir! 🍻

16 hours ago, RMCS said:

Great scheme 

Much obliged Rich, thanks for the comment! 🥂

4 hours ago, Hairtrigger said:

Tremendous..    So well presented it looks like the real thing...    

I appreciate those kind words Hairtrigger;  thank you so much! :D

I'm glad you guys liked this old model.   It wasn't a bad kit and could probably have a  "bang-up" job done on it in the right hands.   A typical "good" Monogram kit-great value for the buck!   Thanks again to all for the wonderful comments.  They are appreciated by this old man! :clap:

1 hour ago, Buzby061 said:

A great rendition of one of my favourite aircraft.

I have the Eduard re-pop of the Heller Mirage 2000 C & D/N versions in the stash, might get round to them one day.

Pete

Thanks so much for the comments Pete! 🍻   I look forward to seeing your Mirages; so many models, so little time, eh?  I completely understand that (he says while eying the intimidating stash...😉)

4 hours ago, Omak said:

Nice and clean work ! The grey and blue grey colors are so difficult to find...only one thing is false : french Mirage never hold Exocet missiles , only the greek air force did.

Thanks for checking her out and leaving a comment Omak. 👍  While seemingly counter-intuitive, I defer to your knowledge regarding French Mirage 2000s and the AM39 Exocet.  I can blame Monogram for my miscue I guess! 😁

• Like 1

I read the Monogram Mirage 2000's shape is that of the prototype.  You've done a great job.  I ABSOLUTELY love the outdoor shots in natural light.  Well done, my Texas friend.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ad-4N said:

I read the Monogram Mirage 2000's shape is that of the prototype.  You've done a great job.  I ABSOLUTELY love the outdoor shots in natural light.  Well done, my Texas friend.  

Thanks for the kind words Ad-4N!  🥃   I try to get all my models out to the airport for outdoor photography.  It's hard to beat the airport scenery for a background and I love using that natural light.  One cool additional feature is the ever-changing Texas sky; one never knows what the skies will look like behind the model.   And I suck at indoor photos.  There's that too...😉

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gary Brantley said:

Thanks for the kind words Ad-4N!  🥃   I try to get all my models out to the airport for outdoor photography.  It's hard to beat the airport scenery for a background and I love using that natural light.  One cool additional feature is the ever-changing Texas sky; one never knows what the skies will look like behind the model.   And I suck at indoor photos.  There's that too...😉

Here is the predecessor to the Mirage 2000 in the Utah sun.  

UGwkAdW.jpg

• Like 1