MiniArt T-55A Interior kit

Andy350

8 hours ago, zigster said:

Andy350, looking at your (and the one I've mentioned above) struggling, I'm going to ditch those bars, fixing all arms in one position + some kind of brass tubing for wheel axles.

Since I'm not into "moving parts", that should help. All the best with your "fight"!

Z

There is an option to lock the torsion bars in place.  When I revisit this one I might lock the suspension arms in place and slightly drill out the wheels before fixing.

• 5 weeks later...

I must be bonkers but, I am going to try and complete something resembling the T-55.  I do have some obstacles to overcome first.

I need to glue the fins onto the mesh, failed last time, but with the help of the magnification glasses it might make life easier, I also need to come up with a glue that will help in the process.

49524334953_0d0027a452_b.jpg

I cannot fit the wheels onto the (boggies?) as the fit was not great, maybe I can shape these or maybe drill out the wheels a bit, and then glue them in place so they are fixed?

49525061847_b0b350f22e_b.jpg

I've tried to make the rear box sit flat and it turned into a bit of a mess, if left like this maybe it will represent some damage?

49524327608_49f65903da_b.jpg

The above problems were the reason why I stopped moving forward with the project.  It was all very disappointing.

• Like 3

Very good Andy, hop back in that saddle! You will feel good about that when (not if) you improve on what you have now, step by step. A bit of CA glue (the thick variant is probably the easiest to work with, apply with the sharp end of a thinned down cocktail stick, works for me) should help to fix the fins to the mesh. Drill those wheels, why not, and fix everything in the correct place. That rear box looks fine to me, the paint will help and don't look back. I'm sure that on the real thing bits and pieces will get knocked about. Good luck!

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, JeroenS said:

Very good Andy, hop back in that saddle! You will feel good about that when (not if) you improve on what you have now, step by step. A bit of CA glue (the thick variant is probably the easiest to work with, apply with the sharp end of a thinned down cocktail stick, works for me) should help to fix the fins to the mesh. Drill those wheels, why not, and fix everthing in the correct place. That rear box looks fine to me, the paint will help and don't look back. I'm sure that on the real thing bits and pieces will get knocked about. Good luck!

Thanks Jeroen, regarding that back box, when this is all fitted I might try and resolve in place.

I am not sure if I am better of fixing in place the torsion bars?  But not sure where to fix them, because they would be under load.  I've not build armour with this setup before.  Maybe it will sit where it want to if they are left floating as such.  Thanks for the encouragement.  👍

• Like 1

Wheels on, I will leave these overnight now so that they are properly set.  Because of the movement of the torsion bars they are not sitting straight, but I am hopeful that when the tracks are fitted they will look better.  At this point I am not sure if I am better of building and then painting once all is fitted, or painting the tracks and then fit, decisions decisions.

49526298926_ff3b774d64_b.jpg

• Like 1

With the wheels on I am not sure what the process is with the torsion bars, currently the wheels can move up and down, is the idea to fit the tracks, find how you want the wheels and then fix into place?  I've never found an online solution to this query.

49528324568_8847b56f5f_b.jpg

Slight mistake with the wheels, 2 out of the 10 are unique in that the two leading have a different hub cap than the rest, I've put one in second and one at the back.

Edited by Andy350
  • Like 3

Finally, it's starting to resemble a T-55.  Next job is building tracks, and starting the turret, will probably break up the track building with turret interior, that's a job in itself.  When you start sticking on the parts built in stages you appreciate the detail.

49534323638_bcfe4f6406_b.jpg

49534817351_bece2ca3b2_b.jpg

I managed to knock off some PE and one of the lights, not sure if I will find them, I will try and make something from spare PE and sprue.

49534820646_7ed3f042c5_c.jpg

• Like 8

Some of this was fun to work on, some alignment issues.  

49552089846_3e110d2e6f_c.jpg

49551594433_100fe17ce0_c.jpg

Didn't really enjoy working on the lights, I don't know why they cannot produce something from a single mould for these, too many fiddly breakable bit, which broke.

49552333027_1d304014b4_c.jpg

Fixed it slightly.

49552336257_dab52b3e72_c.jpg

Made a start on the interior to the turret, and primed the first set of tracks.

49553620892_fea8a3b470_c.jpg

• Like 7

Hi Andy

I’ve recently joined Britmodeller and was browsing the various forums when I came across your MiniArt T-55A build; I read it with interest as I’m at the final stages of my build of the MiniArt SU-85 also with full interior.  I can certainly sympathise with your experience!  FWIW (thus far) I’ve learnt six things from my build:

1. The SU-85 kit is over-engineered in places with some aspects (particularly the PE) taking me to the limits (and beyond) of my skills!

2  I find the instructions vague in places; I was reminded of one of those multi-line mathematical problems where a mistake in one line carries through with increasingly difficult consequences.

3. Even separating the parts from the sprues has necessitated great care; sanding some parts very difficult, indeed.

4. I couldn’t get the track links to work - despite doing quite a lot of prior research - and ended up glueing them with Tamiya Extra thin.

5. I made a major ‘bong’ by including figures in the turret.  Not again!  I believe the figures are too big as I can’t think that MiniArt have got the SU-85’s dimensions wrong…

6  To cap it all I lost the decals and have just - after waiting two and half months - received the replacement set.  Mind you this was not a real stopper as such since I could quite easily have painted the markings!

Anyway, Andy, enough moaning from me.  I’m looking forward to seeing your completed T-55A; it’s looking very good so far.  Well done for getting back to it!

Regards

Mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1