MiniArt T-55A Interior kit

Andy350

Some nice work going there Andy, particularly on a complex kit like that.

I wouldn't worry to much about every tiny piece of etch, especially on the inside.

If it's a toss-up between fitting every bit of photo etch and potentially stalling the build or cracking on and enjoying it and getting it completed I know which way I tend to go....😉

Good luck.

Darryl 

Edited by Jasper dog
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Some nice work going there Andy, particularly on a complex kit like that.

I wouldn't worry to much about every tiny piece of etch, especially on the inside.

If it's a toss-up between fitting every bit of photo etch and potentially stalling the build or cracking on and enjoying it and getting it completed I which way I tend to go....😉

Good luck.

Darryl 

Thanks Darryl, when some of these sections are done it is very satisfying.  Should be able to move this forward today a little.

Just now, JeroenS said:

Ah yes, MiniArt at its best 🙂 ... You do have some nice Optivisors or something else that magnifies I hope? That helps a lot. 

Nope, the first three went on ok, when I say ok, still took ten minutes.  Over the last two days this build has started to feel like "going to work" rather than a holiday.  I think I have two options, carry on and leave off those bits off, or shelve this knowing I will probably never carry on with it.

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Andy350 said:

Nope, the first three went on ok, when I say ok, still took ten minutes.  Over the last two days this build has started to feel like "going to work" rather than a holiday.  I think I have two options, carry on and leave off those bits off, or shelve this knowing I will probably never carry on with it.

Well, since your interior so far looks too good for the shelf of doom I'd say go for option 1, after all it's supposed to be fun isn't it 😎

• Thanks 1

If you persevere with it, it can result in a fine model, BUT, you may end up loosing your sanity in the process. That's why I sold mine at Telford last year. I kept hold of the one without an interior, but even with that, it'll probably end up as spares as I have the Takom version which is much more user friendly.

John.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JeroenS said:

Well, since your interior so far looks too good for the shelf of doom I'd say go for option 1, after all it's supposed to be fun isn't it 😎

I'm probably throwing my toys out of the pram!  Out of all the potential problems I never though PE would be a big one.  Those slats would be useful to cover up the mesh which if I not careful could be pushed into the model.

49345513158_c8a2791848_c.jpg

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

If you persevere with it, it can result in a fine model, BUT, you may end up loosing your sanity in the process. That's why I sold mine at Telford last year. I kept hold of the one without an interior, but even with that, it'll probably end up as spares as I have the Takom version which is much more user friendly.

John.

Hi John, I've put those small PE parts away, will carry on and see what happens.  I could always fit one by one at a later date.  My previous build, the British 1920's tank was a challenge, but a walk in the park compared to this one!

Cheers

Andy

• Like 1

Have a look at this. I did a Tiran 5 using the Tamiya kit and for the engine deck parts, I used Voyager etched brass. It was fairly easy. Probably more so than the Miniart kit. The relevant bit is on page 4.

John.

Edited by Bullbasket
  • Thanks 1

Andy 

Don't let the Bstrd Drag you down

Miniart kits are always a challenge. You have done a great job so far...maybe take a break then come back and be frustrated some more.

I've done a few and the end results usually compensate for the frustratiouiohdjkhniuehiuoj.

Cheers 

Keith

• Thanks 1

Hang in there with the PE, it’s a proper mare when you first start working with it but you will get the hang of it, each model you use it with get easier and you’ll gain more confidence with it :thumbsup: 

It has a place with modelling and as long as you take your time you’ll agree eventually :frantic: 

The kit really is a great kit and I’m sure you’ll do a great job in the end. 

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

Have a look at this. I did a Tiran 5 using the Tamiya kit and for the engine deck parts, I used Voyager etched brass. It was fairly easy. Probably more so than the Miniart kit. The relevant bit is on page 4.

John.

That was a great build John, I know the extra detail makes a world of difference, so I will try and make an extra effort here.  I now need to read the full thread from your build. 

• Like 1

I've been looking ahead at the final colour, which is XF58.  I've been looking at weathering, including using some oils.  With this in mind and what happened with the two other tanks, I want to make sure that the green doesn't finish too dark.  It was mentioned before that I could lighten the colour, if I was to try this could I make up the mix using maybe 10% white?  Or will this be trial and error?

Example of the olive green after satin finish plus some dark weathering.  I don't think adding the black oils will work.

49349873867_1b58f1a859_c.jpg

• Like 1

Not sure what happened here, the rear box doesn't line up at all, should sit square with a section of PE as a support!!  No idea how to get round this apart from using some plastic as a support.  One issue with miniart, as soon as something is off it detracts from point of this standard of kit.

49353011617_f449332946_b.jpg49352892771_3fc1aacccd_b.jpg

• Like 1

I've had to pack this one up, I came to fitting the wheels and failed, I believe they are supposed to turn still, but I cannot seat the wheels and pins at all, it's frying my brain thinking about it, it is very frustrating that I'm grabbing the model by the bits you shouldn't.

I think the problem is the bits that the wheel axles fit to are out of shape.  Thanks for all the help with this, I don't feel any better not finishing this one as I've spent quite a bit on pain, weathering, oils scratch effect, varnishes.

49353463011_471a8163c6_b.jpg

49353676937_7e7e2a949e_b.jpg

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Bullbasket said:

If you need any help from the real thing, take a look here;http://svsm.org/gallery/T-55-family

HTH's.

John.

Thanks John, very useful, I had also found the mini-art site with the finished build.  I think the wheels are supposed to turn because of the live torsion bars, but I can only see that fixing them in place might be the only way.  Thanks for your help with this.

28 minutes ago, s.e.charles said:

I believe that sometimes the model has its own message. the next ones you build will all bring you back to things this one has presented you. it's part of the journey.

I picked up two WW2 armoured vehicles that I am starting, I will use this to gain some more experience before coming back to this.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Andy350 said:

I've had to pack this one up, I came to fitting the wheels and failed, I believe they are supposed to turn still, but I cannot seat the wheels and pins at all, it's frying my brain thinking about it, it is very frustrating that I'm grabbing the model by the bits you shouldn't.

I think the problem is the bits that the wheel axles fit to are out of shape.  Thanks for all the help with this, I don't feel any better not finishing this one as I've spent quite a bit on pain, weathering, oils scratch effect, varnishes.

49353463011_471a8163c6_b.jpg

49353676937_7e7e2a949e_b.jpg

I feel your pain and I've run into the same situation with the axles and the wheels. I basically just drilled them out more and finally got them to fit.

As much as I love the miniart T-55 line, I think for this scale they over engineered a lot of the vehicle too much. It doesn't have to be clunky, but make it more simplified. I thought that Tamiya did a great job on the suspension on theres that they did about 17 years ago. Not too over worked, but just enough nice detail 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, jvazquez7777 said:

I feel your pain and I've run into the same situation with the axles and the wheels. I basically just drilled them out more and finally got them to fit.

As much as I love the miniart T-55 line, I think for this scale they over engineered a lot of the vehicle too much. It doesn't have to be clunky, but make it more simplified. I thought that Tamiya did a great job on the suspension on theres that they did about 17 years ago. Not too over worked, but just enough nice detail 

I will come back to this one at some point, but for now I will work on other models.  I think I took on too much too soon.  Cheers Andy

• Like 1

I've got one of them "repacks" recently. I do appreciate their way to maximize investment into tooling.

With "mix & match" sprues, we have quite a few variations of that tank. Superb!

Yet, all that "interior / working" bits affect all of the line. Over complicated suspension for a start. 

Those "torsion bars" are like foam in Tasca/Asuka. There is a build on Modelling News:

https://www.themodellingnews.com/2018/03/build-guide-pt-i-135th-scale-t-55a.html

where you can see, that all main wheels are sitting too high. Compare that to any side view (tracks shape) of real T 54/55.

I wish, they all learn a bit from Tamiya, how not to overkill a bunch of plastic parts.

Z

Edited by zigster
mistake

Andy350, looking at your (and the one I've mentioned above) struggling, I'm going to ditch those bars, fixing all arms in one position + some kind of brass tubing for wheel axles.

Since I'm not into "moving parts", that should help. All the best with your "fight"!

Z

• Thanks 1