MiniArt T-55A Interior kit

Andy350

I've not really started yet, I'm having a look at how complex this will be and wanted to ask a very early question regarding the track build.  The tracks seem to be live once fitted, so no glue is required but, they use locating pins, but these pins seems to eager to full out.  Can I use some thin cement at the top to keep them in?  What do others do?  They will also require some clean up, with 91 each side will take time.

49198496633_597405e0fe_c.jpg

49199011026_65b3d34b64_c.jpg

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, NigelD said:

Glue on end should be fine. Don't use too much though as it could wick down the pin and glue the links together. 

Good luck with the clean up. It looks like 3 stubs on each link. 

Nigel 

Thanks Nigel, I might as well continue with the tracks for now, wasn't supposed to start this until after Christmas, but it will take me a very long time anyway.

Hi Andy,

I see you've decided to go for T55. I have never done a Miniart kit (I have in the stash some, but I don't know when I will be able to do a good job ...), but they seem to waste quality and detail on all four sides ... lol.
Although nothing is free, I imagine that the kit will be somewhat overwhelming, with so many pieces and PEs (I imagine).
If I can be of help, ask me, although surely there are more experienced mates than me.
The topic of links can be very tedious and tiring, but it is worth the effort.
I do not know how they will be in the sprues, but maybe if you choose the cutting tool well, you will save a lot of work after sanding, as there would be less residue in the piece ...
I would like to see how it develops, you take your time, because it is certainly a great model / kit.:popcorn:

Cheers Andy 👍

• Thanks 1

I believe these are designed to be assembled dry with the pins being a friction fit.  If you leave them dry then yes you risk some dropping out.  But if you glue the pins and then break any you have a problem.  Try a couple.  If they work as a push-fit then leave them like that.  Otherwise, a tiny touch of Tamiya Extra Thin Quick Setting on the tip as noted above should work.

Just a note for anyone considering MiniArt T-54/55 kits.  They don't all come with the workable links discussed above!!  Some have glue-able non-workable links.

In fact I didn't realise that any had the workable type and I've therefore just bought a couple of sets of their after-market workable tracks I don't need..................  Both glue-able and workable types are available separately.  As of today, Creative Models have the workable type for the knock-down price of £5.98.

Looking through my stash of these kits I found that the T-55 Model 1965 without interior has the workable links. 

However, I found that all of these have the glue-able links (but oddly have workable torsion bars!).  I thought there might be a relationship between track type and interior / non-interior, but it seems not.  Maybe its a release date thing.

T54-2 non-interior

T54B interior

Tiran 4 Late non-interior

Tiran 4 Early interior

Tiran 4Sh interior

Edited by Das Abteilung
Bad spelling!
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Das Abteilung said:

I believe these are designed to be assembled dry with the pins being a friction fit.  If you leave them dry then yes you risk some dropping out.  But if you glue the pins and then break any you have a problem.  Try a couple.  If they work as a push-fit then leave them like that.  Otherwise, a tiny touch of Tamiya Extra Thin Quick Setting on the tip as noted above should work.

Just a note for anyone considering MiniArt T-54/55 kits.  They don't all come with the workable links discussed above!!  Some have glue-able non-workable links.

In fact I didn't realise that any had the woirkable type and I've therefore just bought a couple of sets of their after-market workable tracks I don't need..................  Both glue-able and workable types are available separately.  As of today, Creative Models have the workable type for the knock-down price of £5.98.

Looking through my stash of these kits I found that the T-55 Model 1965 without interior has the workable links. 

However, I found that all of these have the glue-able links (but oddly have workable torsion bars!).  I thought there might be a relationship between track type and interior / non-interior, but it seems not.  Maybe its a release date thing.

T54-2 non-interior

T54B interior

Tiran 4 Late non-interior

Tiran 4 Early interior

Tiran 4Sh interior

Thanks for the information Das, very informative.  I will see how I go with mine with a little glue on the end, I did try four sections earlier and they seem able to still stretch.  If it wasn't for the interior section I would be more happy to make a start on it.  I suppose I could see how that goes and if a problem just not include the interior.

2 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

Hi Andy,

I see you've decided to go for T55. I have never done a Miniart kit (I have in the stash some, but I don't know when I will be able to do a good job ...), but they seem to waste quality and detail on all four sides ... lol.
Although nothing is free, I imagine that the kit will be somewhat overwhelming, with so many pieces and PEs (I imagine).
If I can be of help, ask me, although surely there are more experienced mates than me.
The topic of links can be very tedious and tiring, but it is worth the effort.
I do not know how they will be in the sprues, but maybe if you choose the cutting tool well, you will save a lot of work after sanding, as there would be less residue in the piece ...
I would like to see how it develops, you take your time, because it is certainly a great model / kit.:popcorn:

Cheers Andy 👍

Thanks Francis, hopefully I will take my time and not rush this.  Would like to make a good job.  I did pick up some Top Cutter pro pliers today, might help with the cutting.  I may come back with some advice when this all kicks off.

https://anticsonline.uk/N1235_New-warehouse-stock-Antics/108273263_Expo-Mini-top-Cutter-Pro-Pliers-75604.html

Many thanks

Andy

• Like 1

I've been thinking about the build and what weathering I would like to apply.  Initially I wanted to build the Soviet Army 70-80's scheme in a light brown.

49207194493_e2dff86aaa_c.jpg

But, I cannot find any reference to a winter affect, probably because this was used in Africa and the Middle East.

So, if I want a winter affect would I opt for the more classic Soviet scheme like the ones below.

49207679941_3ce4814389_c.jpg

The weathering mag I have shows the scheme below, but I cannot help think that this is overkill for this type of tank??

49207681611_5d1aa01b4b_c.jpg

I will be picking up some oils to create a pin wash as well.  Another big learning curve I think on this one.

All opinions welcomed.

Did manage to create some more track sections. 

49207233088_1fa55df17a_w.jpg

Cheers

Andy

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Miketheexrock said:

I drilled all mine and use vaping wire 

IMG_20190422_171745447

IMG_20190422_171634848

Finger hurt like hell , but is was still workable. Didn't like the fact that if you sneezed on the OOb links the track snapped just throw my tuppence worth out there 

Wow, how long did that all take?

For those that have built an inside kit, how much of the engine is seen, I'm not sure whether to paint post engine build, or paint the individual parts and then build?  I know what I would rather do, and that's paint at the end.

Made some progress, tactics are, little and often rather than hours and hours at a time.  When I was looking at all the sprues I was getting overwhelmed, I even thought about not starting at all.  Never seen so many small parts for something this size.  Once the controls and linkages are in place I will prime and pain this section.

49237093876_908c93a0de_b.jpg

49236621318_4d654a6f17_b.jpg

• Like 1

It seemed that the base plate didn't fix in too well, not sure why but they have you fix this in so that it can swivel, but nothing seems to be fixed to it that required it to spin??

49237240731_761f5d5e1b_b.jpg

Edited by Andy350
  • Like 2

Soviet and Warsaw Pact units using winter camouflage seem to have used a permanent paint with broad patterns of white over the green and it seems to have been confined to areas of fairly permanent winter conditions.  They didn't routinely camouflage for winter in other areas.  I don't think there's much scope for a WW2-style temporary winter finish on any Cold War Soviet tank.  Perhaps in Afghanistan at a stretch: look for photos.

The brown Soviet scheme would probably have been for a unit based in one of the Central Asian republics (one of the Stans) where the landscape is largely arid.  Possibly in Afghanistan.

Over on the Cold War discussion section there is a discussion about Russian green, where this photo came up.........!!  Any shade you like!  Which begs the question whether MiniArt's "brown" is in fact one of the browner greens that can be seen at the right and left of the photo.  The dark green in the centre of the 2nd row is perhaps more like the colour we might typically use.  There is a winter-camouflaged one on the far left, 7 rows up.  I thought the appearance of 2 greens on that vehicle might be a photo aberration, but the one 3 rows up on the far left also has 2 greens with white or light grey patches.

wsCvvyv.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Hi Andy,

I see that you have been brave and have made progress, you just have to see the thickness of the box to realize what it may contain ... tremors ...
I don't know what your degree of skill / experience is, but I think these kits are complex and therefore, desperate for anyone like me, because they can pose a challenge beyond what I can do.
I just trust that what should go in a specific place, go there without problem, because if not, that is an extra point of difficulty, very annoying ...
Nice progress for now mate ...:popcorn:

Cheers Andy and Merry Xmas :santa:

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, FrancisGL said:

Hi Andy,

I see that you have been brave and have made progress, you just have to see the thickness of the box to realize what it may contain ... tremors ...
I don't know what your degree of skill / experience is, but I think these kits are complex and therefore, desperate for anyone like me, because they can pose a challenge beyond what I can do.
I just trust that what should go in a specific place, go there without problem, because if not, that is an extra point of difficulty, very annoying ...
Nice progress for now mate ...:popcorn:

Cheers Andy and Merry Xmas :santa:

Hi Francis,

They are certainly an advanced kit and didn't really appreciate the work involved.  I probably should have picked something easier that I could have spent more time on painting and weathering.  Which is what I will try and do for this.  I think I need to get hold of some mud and look at creating a snowy effect.

Merry Xmas to you Francis.

Edited by Andy350
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, FrancisGL said:

Hi Andy,

Good work, without a doubt this kit, needs time, patience and ability to tame it, but if you continue with the "modules" as you indicate, when you realize it, you will have it ...🍿

Cheers Andy :xmasparty:

Thanks Francis. This will take some time indeed. Painted the shells today, need yo tidy up a bit. 

IMG_20191230_175304

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, FrancisGL said:

Hi Andy, 

Looks nice, when everything is in place, I think the result will surprise you (for good ... of course), ...:popcorn:

Cheers Andy 👍

Thanks Francis.  It is coming along, there seems no way of speeding his up, waiting for painted parts to dry etc.  Still not too sure if I will be painting wheels and tracks and then painting or painting and fittings, I want these to be weathered (have a jar of mud that I would like to apply) as the finished model.