I.D. help Me Bf109 -G6 III/JG3 1944

MigModeller

I think it should be RLM 74/75/76, but I don't recall seeing a photo of this one- I can check my Jagdwaffe series volumes to see if I can find a photo to go with this profile- if it's accurate, that's a pretty attractive G-6!

Mike

Looks to be based on this photo:

dahl-walther-3pilots.jpg

There is another colour profile out there similar to the one you had posted.  It includes the name of Maj. Walther Dahl and dated August 1943 in Münster Handorf Germany.  Although that is him on the right, I don't believe this was his plane though, as he was posted as Gruppenkommandeur of III./JG 3 in 20 July 1943.

http://www.luftwaffe.cz/dahl.html

regards,

Jack

Edited by JackG
  • Like 2

Yes, the light colour on the bottom and sides is 76 and the dark colour on top is 74. The lighter grey on top is 75, not 76. There are other interpretations showing the star and the numeral 6 in white.

The profile artist has also shown the mottling in 3 colours: 74, 75, and 02 and this is possible.

Edited by Crimea River

No photo, but here's another profile of your G-6 I did see several different profiles of this G-6 that had the '6' and flash in white, not yellow...as Troy Smith is famous for saying, "Never trust a profile w/o a photo."

Mike

http://luftwaffe-profiles.blogspot.com/p/jg-3-gustav-profiles_15.html

Edited by 72modeler
added text

3 hours ago, JackG said:

Looks to be based on this photo:

dahl-walther-3pilots.jpg

There is another colour profile out there similar to the one you had posted.  It includes the name of Maj. Walther Dahl and dated August 1943 in Münster Handorf Germany.  Although that is him on the right, I don't believe this was his plane though, as he was posted as Gruppenkommandeur of III./JG 3 in 20 July 1943.

http://www.luftwaffe.cz/dahl.html

regards,

Jack

Note, from the small image above, this looks to be an Erla built plane,  the 3 different  factories each had camouflage style

see here

http://theprofilepaintshop.blogspot.com/2013/10/chosing-correct-wingpattern-for-bf109g-6.html

a great shot of an Erla built 109

1.jg52_wh10.3.jpg

Note, by the hanging lead from the cockpit, apart from the 74/75  blotches, their is 02 (look at engine bearers) and 70 Schwarzgrun (prop blades) also in the mottle. The dog tooth wing pattern is also visible.

same plane further out

1.jg52_wh10.2.jpg

note how the motttle pattern is similar to the pic posted above

A search about says the Werk Nummer is 26025...

and I just l;ooked at the link @fubar57 posted....

Your subject was WNr.26025, built by Erla, but the artwork and caption have a few 'hiccups.'

1) The only connection this machine had with Walter Dahl was that it was taxiing behind him as he salutes and congratulates three pilots [Uffz. Gerhard Pankalla, Fw. Kurt Gräf, Uffz. Wolfgang Rentsch] from Heinz Langer's 7./JG 3 at Bad Wörishofen for their successes on 14.Oct. 1943.  Quite a few photos were taken on this occasion.

2) The numeral ''6' was white not yellow, and the 'comet' marking on the port side was white.  This marking may have only been applied to the port side, I am yet to see an example on the starboard side.

3) The 7./JG 3 was the "Werfer Staffel" of this Gruppe, some of their 109G-6s carrying the underwing rocket tubes.

4) As you can see in the BA photo [Nr. 652-5724-18] below, the Erla factory camouflage on the fuselage featured 'lotsa spots.'  This factory also used the distinctive 'sawtooth' pattern on the upper surfaces, and the Erla painters were still applying black trim to the outside of the underwing crosses.  WNr.26025 was lost 20.Feb. 1944 in combat with B-24s.

1954731_39c45869d3607127b527e479058629e2
Good luck with your project, GRM

the poster G.R Morrison,  is a knowledgeable poster, and Luftwaffe records record  things like the  it was "weiss 6"  as the colours sued idenfied which staffel the plane was in.

HTH

• Like 4

Thank you everyone for really helpful info.

I now know I have an Erla manufactured 109.

Underwing WGr 210 21cm rocket tubes would not be out of place.

Maj. Walther Dahl only might have been the pilot.

Oh, and delightful season of enforced merriment to you all!

31 minutes ago, MigModeller said:

Maj. Walther Dahl only might have been the pilot.

His regular mount would have the double chevron marking to denote group commander, while the black vertical bar represents third group of JG 3.

Messerschmitt-Bf-109G6R3R6-Stab-III.JG3-

regards,

Jack

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JackG said:

His regular mount would have the double chevron marking to denote group commander

Messerschmitt Bf 109G6R3R6 Stab III.JG3 Walther Dahl Sep 1943

Messerschmitt-Bf-109G6R3R6-Stab-III.JG3-

Note the manufacturer data plate visible  

• Like 2