1/72 Airfix P-51 as COOKIE

Valkyrie

11 hours ago, Andre B said:

This gonna turn out nice. The Revell decal's fits the Airfix kit as good as can be!

Cheers / André

Thanks that is good to know as most of the time using decals from another kit doesn’t always work out size wise

2 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

Thanks that is good to know as most of the time using decals from another kit doesn’t always work out size wise

My Airfix "Cookie" with the Revell decals...

48547125757_3b019e8ec1_o.jpg

Cheers / André

Edited by Andre B
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Valkyrie,

Actually I did some misstakes painting the "Cookie". I used wrong templates for the D-day markings on the fuselage making them a little to big and had to adjust the decals for that. But the Revell decals are really good and makes it worth getting that old kit!

Cheers / André

• Thanks 1

Ok, as we all know, and I have finally conceded, there is little that can be seen of a 1/72 cockpit side wall so rough humbrol 226 and 33. Bit of highlighting of bits that will be seen. 

49230001882_19192f7b9d_b.jpg

• Like 2

Fits like a glove, added some homemade harnesses, wings on now masking canopy. Great wee kit. Tail fin is yellow so orange gloss undercoat to help it along.

Want to get the black primer on before weekend to spend Christmas holidays decalling and detailing in between Star Wars and blitzbuilds 

49235472241_8563a97dfa_b.jpg

• Like 6

AK Black primer on and buffing underway. Il be using humbrol polished aluminium which I’ve used twice before on mustangs. One worked, the other did not, it went grey rather than polishable metal. So I’m not sure how this will go..

49246774451_b405b8a37b_b.jpg

• Like 6

Thanks, I think everything looks great primed in black, but thanks for the comment. It’s in two coats of metalcote curing over night before buffing and polishing in the morning...

• Like 1

Ahnt, it’s not working out again as shiney mirrored silver! Never works out for me, either dull grey or just a flat silver... save your cash and just use tamiya silver and brush paint...so on back burner for decals if I can b3 bothered finishing it after this 

8 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

Ahnt, it’s not working out again as shiney mirrored silver! Never works out for me, either dull grey or just a flat silver... save your cash and just use tamiya silver and brush paint...so on back burner for decals if I can b3 bothered finishing it after this 

I'm not sure how you are getting such results, mate, but I use Metalcote 27002 (not 27001) all the time and it always works out great. I also mix it with 27003 to get varied shades and it buffs up a treat. I dont undercoat black at all. In fact I tried this with my Sabre recently and it wouldn't settle correctly :(.

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

all the time and it always works out great.

You're the 'expert' Martin with the Metalcote. As I've mentioned to you before, it's hit and miss with me, just haven't got the knack, so I use Tamiya AS-12...cop-out I know.

Stuart

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Courageous said:

You're the 'expert' Martin with the Metalcote. As I've mentioned to you before, it's hit and miss with me, just haven't got the knack, so I use Tamiya AS-12...cop-out I know.

Stuart

I'm glad you put parentheses around "expert", Stuart. I'm far from being an expert! :). Thanks for your vote of confidence, though. 

Martin

• Like 2

13 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

I'm not sure how you are getting such results, mate, but I use Metalcote 27002 (not 27001) all the time and it always works out great. I also mix it with 27003 to get varied shades and it buffs up a treat. I dont undercoat black at all. In fact I tried this with my Sabre recently and it wouldn't settle correctly :(.

Martin

Thanks for the tip. So no primer? Like the mixing idea too. Thanks 

18 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

Thanks for the tip. So no primer? Like the mixing idea too. Thanks 

Sorry, mate, I wasn't clear. My method, and its simple really:

1. Prime with Humbrol Primer (1), thinly applied. I use a consistency of skimmed milk.

2. Two coats (more if needed) of Metalcote Polished Aluminium (27002), thinned well.

3. Buff after leaving for at least 24 hours curing time. For buffing I use an old handkerchief.

My method isnt scientific but it works for me. Metalcote will never give you Alclad types of finish but it will give you a good shine. Oddly the mixes with Metalcote Steel (27003) to get darkening shades buff up even better. You dont need to add much 27003 to get varying shades. I have only tried the preshading with black once and it was a disaster. For whatever reason the Metalcote "curdled" in some areas, particularly along the wing/fuselage joint.

Martin 

edit: I use Enamels

Edited by RidgeRunner
Added edit as shown
  • Thanks 3

9 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Sorry, mate, I wasn't clear. My method, and its simple really:

1. Prime with Humbrol Primer (1), thinly applied. I use a consistency of skimmed milk.

2. Two coats (more if needed) of Metalcote Polished Aluminium (27002), thinned well.

3. Buff after leaving for at least 24 hours curing time. For buffing I use an old handkerchief.

My method isnt scientific but it works for me. Metalcote will never give you Alclad types of finish but it will give you a good shine. Oddly the mixes with Metalcote Steel (27003) to get darkening shades buff up even better. You dont need to add much 27003 to get varying shades. I have only tried the preshading with black once and it was a disaster. For whatever reason the Metalcote "curdled" in some areas, particularly along the wing/fuselage joint.

Martin 

edit: I use Enamels

Brilliant thank you so much for helping and sharing. I will give this a go on my next one as I really want a shiny stang in the stash 

I'll look forward to seeing it :). Remember it isnt as shiney as Alclad and never will be but for me it works. See some of my builds, although I also add a wash which tempers things a bit.

Martin 

• Thanks 1

I'm guessing you brush paint, in which case the Metalcotes are about as good as you'll get. For airbrushing, Alclad2 are the business and AK Interactive Xtreme Metal are also very good :winkgrin:

• Thanks 1