Airfix 1/48 Lightning F1 111 Sqn

This was going to be my first GB entry in the Year that I was born group build. Time ran away with me and I never managed to finish on time, but here it is at last.

This is my fourth model since returning to modelling after a gap of thirty odd years. I really enjoyed making this and found the kit a very nice build. It is my first attempt with an airbrush, first all metal finish and first go at using a Flory wash. The kit is straight from the box, added detail to the seat using wire and foil from a wine cap. Thank you to Paul J for the 111 Sqn Decals

Lots of lessons learnt and a very enjoyable experience.

Cheers

Kev

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 52

Nice to see this former GB entry finished Kev and glad the GB gave you the inspiration to give her a go. She’s turned out wonderfully well so now it’s time to make a start on plenty more kits.  

Cheers and thanks for posting.. Dave

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, binbrook87 said:

Brilliant! Great work on arguable THE most charasmatic jet fighter of all time. Fabulous 👍

Oooh.  There's no argument around it.  At least not where I'm sititng. 

• Like 1

A terrfic looking Lightning.  I think your natural metal finish is spot on.  I've always loved the Lightining but especially the early ones.  Treble One's markings look great too.  Just one point though.  Are the missile pylons at the correct angle?  They look like they are slanting down at about 120-130 degrees to the fuselage but I think they should be at 90 degrees.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

Are the missile pylons at the correct angle?  They look like they are slanting down at about 120-130 degrees to the fuselage but I think they should be at 90 degrees.

You’re right, they are and they should.  Apart from that and the seam along the spine that’s a rather nice Lightning.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

Are the missile pylons at the correct angle?  They look like they are slanting down at about 120-130 degrees to the fuselage but I think they should be at 90 degrees.

10 hours ago, stever219 said:

Apart from that and the seam along the spine that’s a rather nice Lightning.

Thank you for the feedback guys, I have to admit that I was not completly sure about the missiles, I did try dry fitting the pylons  a few times but that was the best I came up with. The seam along the top, again I tried, I have used Mr Surfacer, thought I had it ok but it does stand out in the photo.

I have finished it now, and am quite pleased with the results so will leave as is, but of course take on all points for my next model. Each one I complete is better than the last and that is what I am aiming for. The most important thing for me is I enjoyed building it.

Cheers

Kev 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Jackster said:

I have finished it now, and am quite pleased with the results so will leave as is, but of course take on all points for my next model. Each one I complete is better than the last and that is what I am aiming for. The most important thing for me is I enjoyed building it.

Cheers

Kev 

That's what it's all about!

Great build, I love a Lightning, yours looks great. Some things to be very happy about on that build - NMF can be very difficult indeed, and yours looks very realistic.

• Thanks 1