Lou iv inc" blue"

Hewy

A much talked about blue or not blue mustang, i happen to think it was us navy blue ,with painted over upper  dday stripes in either raf green or od, maybe both,this is how I'll be depicting lou iv ,its the recent revell 32nd scale kit i picked up cheap from hobby craft black friday sale, it'll be wheels up with a pilot on board which I'm yet  to buy,  and on some sort of stand 

• Like 4

Blue?

I'd say, rather the other way around, camo OD or RAF green and the invasion stripes (easily soluble colour), when painted over, mixed with the green colour resulting in some greyish appearance. I think the green upper surface colour is meanwhile the accepted wisdom since better photo rendering techniques have become available.

If you're interested here is my proposition. In no case do I want to re-start this century discussion. Everybody as they like!

Cheers, Michael

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Toryu said:

In no case do I want to re-start this century discussion. Everybody as they like!

Me niether toryu,you have a wonderfull collection of  mustangs beautifully built and finished, and i do like your reasoning behind the apparent blue ,to be fair it is  feasible, still a fun and  great subject

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hewy said:

A much talked about blue or not blue mustang, i happen to think it was us navy blue ,with painted over upper  dday stripes in either raf green or od, maybe both,this is how I'll be depicting lou iv ,its the recent revell 32nd scale kit i picked up cheap from hobby craft black friday sale, it'll be wheels up with a pilot on board which I'm yet  to buy,  and on some sort of stand 

Always wanted to do the P-51B Bald Eagle the same way.   Looking forward to your build/representation.

• Thanks 1

Just now, BlueNosers352nd said:

Always wanted to do the P-51B Bald Eagle the same way.   Looking forward to your build/representation.

Thanks bn i appreciate it , something I've  wanted to do for a while , it will be only my interpretation and i dont want retread old discussions but heres a link for and against  blue

https://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/1998/05/stuff_eng_ww2incolor_louiv.htm

13 minutes ago, polybebber said:

I've followed this discussion with much interest in the past, but in my opinion it leads nowhere. This my very own

interpretation:

spacer.png

Just follow your own instinct because who can you prove you wrong?

Lothar

Gorgeous model lothar, is it 32nd

7 minutes ago, Hewy said:

Gorgeous model lothar, is it 32nd

Yes, it's the the Revell kit and I can only encourage you to tackle yours. It has a few minor issues here and

there, but nothing that couln't be corrected with little effort - the cockpit is exceptional for a kit in that price

range. Spend a few extra quid for some seat belts and you're done. I really did enjoy the build. With more

AM decal options available now I've already got me a second one. Go for it, you won't regret it. Good luck

with your build, I'll gladly follow.

Lothar

• Thanks 1

Great choice Glynn I had an interesting thread on this subject I'll try to find it,I'm thinking of modelling her as she appeared around 6th June

in full stripes.

Edit.Here we are.https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235044714-more-mustang-questions-regarding-lou-iv/&tab=comments#comment-3159171

and some seat trivia.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235044321-revell-132-mustang-questions-lou-iv/&tab=comments#comment-3151204

Edited by stevej60
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Hewy said:

i happen to think it was us navy blue

which one..... there are several ....  :devil:

Not widely appreciated, detail in this thread.

And given the lack of USN planes in Britain and NW Europe.... Where would they get it?

Some interesting points here,  https://modelingmadness.com/review/allies/us/cleaver51d.htm 

though RAF Dark Green is an olive green,  only Humbrol with 30 dark green  as a blue green... :whistle:

You model, so your do with as you wish :)

HTH

• Thanks 1

@Steve60 thanks steve,yours was an interesting thread,and a superb model 

@Troy Smith you have some valid points troy concerning what  (if) blue and where it came from, but, as it says at the bottom of your page to "never trust a profile without a photo" i shall be attempting to recreate lou iv mostly from this high resolution (enhanced,call it what you will) photograph ,there is a clearer photo than this one  around showing apparently another ac in the formation looking blue too ,credit to dana bell ,thanks for looking in by the way, i hope my interpretation doesn't prevent you from revisiting👍,

Thanks for the input

JMYQsVh.jpg

• Like 2

Watch the toned-down aluminium on the tail and cowling, and the shadow under the stabilizer and on the tanks, all got this bluish tinge. There is a colour shift due to clear sky and cloud reflection. Screen calibration and different colour perception let people see different hues. For me this is rather a blurred dark grey-green and that‘s what I used on my Lou IV.

See this one for instance:

https://www.gettyimages.ch/detail/nachrichtenfoto/aerial-view-of-a-north-american-aviation-p-51d-mustang-nachrichtenfoto/104141864

Cheers, Michael

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Hewy said:

i happen to think it was us navy blue ,with painted over upper  dday stripes in either raf green or od,

6 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

And given the lack of USN planes in Britain and NW Europe.... Where would they get it?

My thoughts if it were blue would be thinned down insignia blue not USN Blue. Im of two minds on this subject and don't want to open the proverbial :worms: in the thread. Ive read quite a bit on this subject, and i lean one way but wont say which. In the end it is Your build Hewy and I will support you either way. 

Dennis

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Sorry for the thread hijack Glynn but the "blue" question often overshadows the man.

http://www.americanairmuseum.com/person/211878

none four aircraft in the famous photo survived the war.

I don't consider it hijacked steve, thanks for your thoughts and links, I'm  going to enjoy building a blue mustang

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

My thoughts if it were blue would be thinned down insignia blue not USN Blue. Im of two minds on this subject and don't want to open the proverbial :worms: in the thread. Ive read quite a bit on this subject, and i lean one way but wont say which. In the end it is Your build Hewy and I will support you either way. 

Dennis

Cheers den, after all it'll still be a mustang whatever colour it was or wasn't 😋 you are probably right about the blue compared to my leanings , dare i say "I'll try to match the colour in the photo"🤣

• Like 1

I'm not sure if you are aware of this article on the subject, but it's the most compelling I have seen thus far. Opinions differ, but then most of us haven't seen the original transparency in the flesh.

If you take the blue as being a given, the question of just which blue is another matter entirely. I suppose one has to ask the question as to which blues would have been available and which of those could conceivably be that in the photo. A few people (in a discussion on the subject over at Hyperscale) have argued the case for RAF Blue Grey and given that we know that several 8th AF fighter groups used British paints (more readily available), it's certainly plausible. I think that Insignia Blue can be ruled out, as the camouflage colour looks considerably lighter.

A fascinating subject, for sure!

Cheers,

Mark.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Toryu said:

Watch the toned-down aluminium on the tail and cowling, and the shadow under the stabilizer and on the tanks, all got this bluish tinge. There is a colour shift due to clear sky and cloud reflection. Screen calibration and different colour perception

Michael, i do love a bit of controversy, although she's still destined to be blue, i can tell you love mustangs,and  to be honest i love the look of the aircraft, but i know very little in the way of  minor details, i do hope your around so you can steer me in the right direction when I'm getting in a spot of difficulty (apart from changing my mind about blue 😋 ) also michael you may be able to help me  on this , as a mustang was approaching to land would the landing gear be  symmetrical in its lowering phase or staggered?, thanks for your comments I'm  already enjoying this gb immensely before it even starts

Glynn, I'm happy to help if I can. There are also many more knowledgeable people reading this thread that may chime in.

First of all, here is a very helpful, though lenghty thread full of relevant information. It's an effort to read (took me at least 6 sessions to finish) but worth while flipping through. I would not consider, however, going to this level of accuracy which in some areas doesn't even look convincing in my humble view.

Regarding landing gear action; I'd say, while hydraulics tend to work asymmetrically during retraction, the gear would come out almost in parallel when lowered because gravity helps.

Cheers, Michael

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Toryu said:

I'd say, while hydraulics tends to work assymetrically during retraction, the gear would come out almost in parallel when lowered because gravity helps.

good point michael, i would have guessed the same , you may be able to determine how  i hope the finished model will end up,🤞all being well, I'm off to look at your link , thanks