A Colourful Pony – Tamiya F-51D Mustang FAB-511 Fuerza Aerea Boliviana 1/72 - Part 2

Oops ..... 

I have posted new photos as it was pointed out by Mike @72modeler that the main gear doors were not correctly positioned. My error in haste! So today I have re-shot them after adjusting the doors.

Martin

Oh great- thanks for the publicity, Martin- now I am going to get hateful emoji's for critiquing a Britmodeller legend! I hope all your decals silver, you knave! (Nothin' but love for you, my friend!)

Mike

• Haha 1

This just in! @RidgeRunnerMartin- when you get around to looking at the references I sent you, I think you will see that your FAB511 has the Detrola radio fit, with the wire aerial from the fin to the upper fuselage, which makes sense, as the aircraft were refurbished/remanufactured in the States and most likely had to use radios compatible with the FAA and civil air traffic control zones they would be flying over  from the U.S. to Bolivia. Your photo definitely shows this. (By the time you get through with your other four Mustangs, your shelf will look like the ramp at a CAF airshow from the 70's!)

Mike

BTW- the gear doors look spot-on, now! Don't feel bad, I reversed the lower wheel cover doors one time on a Hasegawa P-47D and never heard the end of it from my modeling so-called buddies!

Edited by 72modeler
corrected spelling
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, 72modeler said:

BTW- the gear doors look spot-on, now! Don't feel bad, I reversed the lower wheel cover doors one time on a Hasegawa P-47D and never heard the end of it from my modeling so-called buddies!

Edited 5 hours ago by 72modeler
added text

Thanks Mike. I’ve done a similar thing. On my Dominican F-47D I thought the main wheel doors were too long (they come as one unit in the Revell) and so I cut them down. I didn’t realise - in my haste and impatience, again - that they needed to be halved and overlapped! I had glued them firm so they have to stay that way! :(

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Hobo said:

Looks beautiful - love the esoteric markings!

Thanks mate. Me too! :)

13 hours ago, Mig88 said:

Lovely job! It's nice to see the Mustang in schemes like that. Well done!

Miguel

Thanks Miguel. I just love the Latin Mustangs. :)

7 hours ago, Tail-Dragon said:

That's just lovely, undoubtedly my favorite F-51 scheme!

Thanks mate. There are many to choose from but, yes, I agree, it is rather fetching :)

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

23 hours ago, Luka said:

I really like seeing the Mustang break away from the usual NMF. Nicely executed camo finish!

Thanks Luka. Me too. This one took a fair bit of masking and I was very happy in the end, particularly with the swirling lines of the jungle camouflage.

20 hours ago, opus999 said:

Fantastic!  Beautiful paintwork and an unusual scheme. Great work!

Thanks, mate. It took time! With many masked layers. The various Mustangs in Central and South America had some great colour schemes. There were a lot of hastily applied schemes, too, which led to great modelling opportunities. Many of which are beyond my skills, sadly. 

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, opus999 said:

Martin, Maybe I missed it, but what kit did you use?

Its the Tamiya F-51D. It isn't perfect, but then none of the 1/72s are. ;). I ignored the main spar issue, used an Airfix set of flaps, and installed a wire aerial, but otherwise it is as in the box.

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 1

I'm a bit late to this topic. You Mustang looks great. 

Back in 1981, my buddy and I drove down to Edmonton, to check out the sights. While driving passed the Municipal Airport, we noticed this aircraft parked on the ramp. We went back and were allowed to go out and get close to it. Unfortunately, I only had a cheap 110 pocket camera. Here are the 3 photos taken. The dude in the army shirt and black cap is a much younger me.

49225032621_009ac34a51_b.jpg

49224554748_a45ffe6aab_b.jpg

49224554768_d23c3c3dee_b.jpg

Chris

• Like 4

7 hours ago, dogsbody said:

I'm a bit late to this topic. You Mustang looks great. 

Back in 1981, my buddy and I drove down to Edmonton, to check out the sights. While driving passed the Municipal Airport, we noticed this aircraft parked on the ramp. We went back and were allowed to go out and get close to it. Unfortunately, I only had a cheap 110 pocket camera. Here are the 3 photos taken. The dude in the army shirt and black cap is a much younger me.

49225032621_009ac34a51_b.jpg

49224554748_a45ffe6aab_b.jpg

49224554768_d23c3c3dee_b.jpg

Chris

That's one of the beauties I saw at Baton Rouge in October 1980. As my mate and I drove up to the airport, en route to New Orleans, two groups of Canadian warbirds arrived including C-GMUS/523 (ex- FAB 523), another P-51, a B-25, a F4U and others. They opened up the ramp for the public. I guess they were on their way to a show!

Martin

• Like 1

12 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Cool photos, cool dude. :)

Its a long time since I packed a 110 format camera, being compact was about all they had going for them. I really wanted a Minox like the spies used. ;) 

Steve.

A couple years after this, I bought a 35mm Canon AE-1 Program camera and a couple extra lenses. A vast improvement over that cheap 110. I still have the Canon but I use a Nikon digital now. It was my retirement gift from the company.

Chris

• Like 1

Hi Ian.

Thank you for your comments. The reason for your thinking is that it was US SEA "Vietnam" colours. It was the camouflage scheme of choice in that era - by Technical Order - and coming in two forms, Jungle (Vietnam) and Desert (replacing one of the greens with sand, e.g. Iranian or Ethiopian Sabres. 

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

I remember What's up Doc, first Mustang I saw in person at an airshow in the early '90s I think. I didn't realize the size of them until then.

Edited by busnproplinerfan