A Colourful Pony – Tamiya F-51D Mustang FAB-511 Fuerza Aerea Boliviana 1/72 - Part 2

Hi all,

As the title suggests, this is a follow-on build of Bolivian F-51D Mustang “FAB-511”. My previous write-up as part of the earlier RFI tells her story. Now she is depicted later in life and in the colour scheme adopted up to the time of her retirement and eventual sale to Canada, to become C-GXUP. She went on to be a racer in the USA and eventually her sad demise came in 1996. I believe (if you believe some reports) that some of her parts went on to other machines.

In these colours, albeit a bit ragged by this time, she returned to the North and looked as follows:

FAB511camoBM

Photo: public domain

I think this was taken at Great Falls, Montana. These Bolivians arrived back in North America en masse at that time. All (I think) were initially Canadian registered and since then have gone on to be warbirds in many parts of North America. You'll see that I've gone for a more "in service" look.

I had a few issues with her, not least of which was my shock when I removed the canopy mask yesterday and found a mass of green spray inside the windscreen! It meant disturbing my fairly neat settling of the windscreen (with Krital Klear) and polishing out the offending paint with Tamiya Polishing Compound. I also lost the ventral cover for the cooling system and had to rob one from a donor Airfix kit. I also wrestled for a fair while with  the Uschi line. A word of warning - the DrawDecal decals are not fit for purpose really. They are way too pixelated. 

What did I do/use?

It should be noted that ArmyCast recently included this machine in a recent decal release. The sheet contains a wide range of Mustangs but care should be taken. Not all the decals and/or colour profiles are correct. See my next Guatemalan Mustang RFI. 

Kit – Tamiya F-51D Mustang 1/72 (54). The dropped flaps are from an Airfix F-51D. 

Decals – ArmyCast flag (ACD 72 034) and serial, the kit stencils and warning markings, sharksmouth from the DrawDecal sheet for Cavalier F-51D C-GMUS (72s-P51-82). The Unit badge is home printed. 

Paint – Colourcoats Dark Green (ACUS20  ), Vietnam Mid Green FS24102 (ACUS19), Vietnam Tan (ACUS18  ) and Vietnam Gray FS36622 (ACUS17). Humbrol Scarlet (60), Black (33). Additionally, I used a variety of paints for the interior, lights, prop etc. Final coat of Humbrol Satincote.

Uschi line for the aerial

Weathering/Panel lines – Flory Dirt, Tamiya Weathering powders, Prismacolor Silver pencil and stippled Humbrol Silver (11) for some chipping/wear

DSC_0872B

DSC_0874B

DSC_0866B

DSC_0865B

DSC_0876B

DSC_0875B

I hope you like her.

On to the next one ...... :)

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
Added a link and (13/12/19 changed images
  • Like 60

Very neat build and an attractive and unusual livery!

It's interesting to compare the photo of the original aircraft to the model. You don't see a single black lined 'panel joint' on the real machine even though it's been through heavy use. So, what's the justification for the stark outlining of every panel on the model? It doesn't add realism; rather the contrary, IMHO.

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Spitfire31 said:

It's interesting to compare the photo of the original aircraft to the model. You don't see a single black lined 'panel joint' on the real machine even though it's been through heavy use. So, what's the justification for the stark outlining of every panel on the model? It doesn't add realism; rather the contrary, IMHO.

Kind regards,

Joachim

You do it your way and I do it mine, Joachim. To me it is a model and not a real aeroplane. The lines are often appropriate but regardless of that, they amplify detail. I dont remember commenting of the lack of panel lining on the builds of others! Here are FAB Mustangs, ex-FAU with a degree of panel lines highlighted:

image (1)

Thanks anyway,

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 6

5 minutes ago, Spitfire31 said:

Kind regards,

Joachim

@Spitfire31 I must say that i have pictures in a book showing those lines on these latin American aircraft...it all depends on the quality of the picture and lighting on these pictures.....the one shown is very grainy and therefore lacks the fine detail....

And i see models win contests that that are even wheathered like they came from a cartoon so it is all in the eye of the beholder...

@RidgeRunner love the build of a great subject well done👍

Cheers, Jan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, F-32 said:

Cracking work, looks awesome in that scheme

Thanks mate

2 hours ago, Pedro1 said:

Great to see a Latin American Mustang for a change and well executed :-).

I look forward to see your FAG pony.

Peter

Many thanks, Peter. With luck the first FAG will be RFI in a week or so, followed by a second. The third (in this STGB) will be post-NY for sure. An FAU machine is stacked up behind that. 

2 hours ago, janneman36 said:

@Spitfire31 I must say that i have pictures in a book showing those lines on these latin American aircraft...it all depends on the quality of the picture and lighting on these pictures.....the one shown is very grainy and therefore lacks the fine detail....

And i see models win contests that that are even wheathered like they came from a cartoon so it is all in the eye of the beholder...

@RidgeRunner love the build of a great subject well done👍

Cheers, Jan

Thank you, Jan. Much appreciated. 

Martin

Looking forward to the Uruguayan machine! I know that several ex FAU are restored and flying today.

I would like to add that the panel lines observation was well made, and your answer was perfect too. I usually only accent ailerons and large lines only, but as you said it´s a model and you do it the way you like it! 

I also think that is nice to see someone making a constructive criticism! 

Best regards!

Ignacio from Uruguay

6 minutes ago, Ignacio said:

Looking forward to the Uruguayan machine! I know that several ex FAU are restored and flying today.

Do you know which is still flying? My understanding was that most were scrapped. I have my subject machine already ;). By the way, there is an excellent book on the Mustang in Uruguayan service. Do you know if it can still be bbought, and from where? Thank you.

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

Martin, there is a page called warbird registry 

http://www.warbirdregistry.org/p51registry/p51-4463577.html

http://www.warbirdregistry.org/p51registry/p51-4463615.html

http://www.warbirdregistry.org/p51registry/p51-4463807.html

It´s a hard work, but if you look on every serial number I think you can find at least 6 ex uruguayan airframes  airworthy, includind the 252, wich crashed on a lake and was recovered in the 90´s.

Others were sold to Bolivia I think.

Can you get the exact name of that book? maybe I can find it for you!

Best regards

Ignacio 

Edited by Ignacio

5 hours ago, Wez said:

Nice one Martin, well done again!

Thanks, Wez. I'm pleased but upset about by paint ingress issues as it messed up the nice seal around the canopy. :(.

5 hours ago, djos said:

Great looking Mustang.

Very interesting colors and for sure different than we used to see.

Regards Djordje

Thanks Djordje. I love the Latin machines.

1 hour ago, RMCS said:

Excellent 

Thanks mate

9 hours ago, fubar57 said:

Awesome scheme....love it

Thanks mate 

38 minutes ago, Bedders said:

Lovely job. Really like the camo.

Justin

Thanks Justin. My challenge was to get the rounded swirling demarkation lines. I think it worked okay :)

16 minutes ago, Cariado said:

That's a great-looking Mustang. I really like Latin American Mustangs - and all of the WWII aircraft that were used by those countries.

Thank you. I, too, love all of those machines - Mustangs, Thunderbolts, Invaders, etc. I love the jets too!

Martin

16 hours ago, Wulfman said:

Excellent build , I love those Latin American ponies.

Wulfman

Thanks Wulfman. Me too. I'm searching for a set of Aztec Macho Mustangs so I can build a Nicaraguan machine ;).

16 hours ago, Dric said:

Excellent paint for this nice one. 

Thanks mate

3 hours ago, russ c said:

Great looking Mustang there Martin, another great `off beat` scheme you found too

Thanks Russ. Yes, I keep looking. I love the Latin machines. I keep looking for Aztec sheets. ArmyCast have just brought out a decal set covering many, including this one and another that I will RFI next week. They suffer from a few inaccuracies, though. Despite that the decals are usable if you research fully.

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner