1/72 "Lift Here" Models Piper Enforcer nee Cavalier

TheRealMrEd

Back again.

Having sanded and blended the canopy onto the fuselage, next step is to remove the canopy masking for a final check/touch-up, before polishing it out and re-masking before painting:

spacer.png

After gingerbob posted the link to some nice photos, I decided to go old school and post something for the newbies, as well as any old-timers that might have forgotten --  a way to make the tip tank light.  The easiest way to make this would have been to stick the tip of the wing tip tank into some 2-part silicone moulding material and then fill it with clear resin (now that I have found some!).  But, the only compressor I have than is capable of supporting the 50 psi required for pressure casting is on loan to my youngest daughter for house remodeling purposes, so here is an old school method.

First, a piece of appropriate clear plastic, from some old bubble pack merchandise, was fastened to a convenient scribing tool that had holes of the correct size, in the case 5 - 6 mm.  I then heated the plastic over an old paint stripper electric gun  (a hair dryer would also do), just to the point where the tip of the kit's wing tip tank could be pushed thru from the plastic side, through the hole to the other side:

spacer.pngspacer.png

Above right, I got a bubble, but the metal of the scribing gauge was too thin, and it bent, which made the bubble off center, and not usable.   Never fear, I had two more aces up my sleeve, the first being to use a plain old flat washer with an appropriate-sized hole, and the second was to drill a hole into a piece of K&S .008" tin.  I decided to try the tin first:

spacer.png

While this worked fairy well (above), it was not without it;s challenges!  On my first attempt (the lowest hole in the pic, I just straight through the metal, and it in turn twisted quite badly.  Another attempt at drill holes with the tin sandwiched between two pieces of wood fared  better, resulting in holes that could at least be cleaned up a bit with a rat-tailed file.  The result was the nice little bubble shown above.  I have yet to try the washer idea...

Next, to separate the bubble from the sheet of plastic, an ordinary single-edged razor blade was used:

spacer.pngspacer.png

Above right, the old modeler's trick of simulating rivets, by taking a piece of stretched sprue (in this case clear) to make not a rivet but a bulb.  This is done by slowly moving the tip of the sprue toward a heat source (in this case, a cigarette lighter  -- I gave up smoking more than 30 years ago, but still use lighters).  Soon, the tip of the sprue will begin to "mushroom" back on itself, forming a rivet, or in this case a bulb.  The sprue is then nipped off, leaving a bit of leg to insert into a drilled hole.

First, I sanded the formed lens down to the correct diameter (actually a combination of sanding the lens and the tank itself, after sawing off the tip) diameter. Then, I punched a little disk of Bare Metal Foil, slightly smaller than the tip tank diameter, and stuck it onto the end of the tank and sealed it with Alclad II Aqua Gloss to help hold in in place for gluing later.  I should mention here that I failed to sand the flattened end of the tank really smooth, and the Bare Metal Foil did not turn out to be as smooth and reflective as I had hoped.  My bad!

Anyway, when dry, I drilled a hole of the appropriate diameter into the center of the BMFoil, and glued in the lens with RS watch cement:

spacer.pngspacer.png

Above right, the vacu-formed tip light lens is glued into place using a Pic-'n-Stic stick to hold the nose, while the back edge only was dipped into a shallow drop of CA.  The lens was then placed on the tip of the tank and allowed to dry.  Then, a little light sanding and polishing to fair it all in.  Please forgive the rather poor pictures, as I was too lazy to set u the tripod!  Believe me, it looks better in person, and had I really sanded the area of the BMFoil, it would be nearly perfect!

Well, more next time,

Ed

• Like 9

Hello again!

First off, Merry Christmas to all who celebrate this wonderful day!  To those that don't, may you also have a warm and fuzzy....

Anyway, on with the build.  Next we re-mask the canopy and windscreen, this time mostly with masking film trimmed to shape, and the a light coat of Interior Green FS 34151.  Some have stated that this color is Zinc Chromate Green, but after looking at pictures, I do not agree with that assessment, first off because the pics seem to show a darker color, and second, one of the  reasons that black was added to the chromate green was that the color made aircrew slightly nauseous  -- as well as to denote a second coat of primer, and I think that reasoning still stands up...:

spacer.pngspacer.png

Above right, the main gear doors are glued in place with plain white glue, for easy removal and cleanup later, and the tail wheel bay has been filled with a piece of hobby foam.  Hard to see in this pic, but the wing ID lights have been filled in on the wing underside.

Next up, a coat of Alclad II grey primer overall:

spacer.pngspacer.png

Above right, mustn't forget the little tank tip fin braces, which I have not seen on any other aircraft!

And last for now, the exhaust tube has been glued into place:

spacer.png

That area will be painted gloss black enamel, followed by Alclad II Stainless Steel, and that area will be masked off before finally applying some camo colors.

Later,

Ed

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone!

Well, after a very busy Christmas and having to stop and order some paint -- and to help my daughter with her house remodeling project, I'm back again with another installment.

First up is masking off the turbo exhaust area, and then painting it with Alclad II Polished Aluminum and Stainless Steel:

spacer.pngspacer.png

Above right, my new circle template just arrived (actually a device for measuring drill bits).  It is about 1.5 - 2mm thick. and much sturdier than the scribing template used for making the tank tip light shown earlier! Next time I have to make such a moulding, I'll be all set.

Next, the turbo exhaust area is re-masked, this time  with Parafilm "M", and a coat of FS34102, a variant of Olive Green, but not exactly O.D.  -- if that makes any sense...

spacer.pngspacer.png

Above right, the airplane is masked and FS34092 Euro Dark Green is added where needed.  Be aware that the two prototypes built had slightly differing paint schemes; I just picked the one I liked best.

Next, more masking and the FS36081 Euro I Dark Grey is added, where needed:

spacer.pngspacer.png

Above right -- I couldn't find a single good photo of the underside of the real aircraft, so I just more or less duplicated the upped side pattern.  Note that the pylons are included in the camo pattern, not added afterwards.  Not really a very exciting camouflage scheme...

Thats it for this time.  Next up will be adding all the antenna, pitot and other fiddly bits, followed by a coat of Alclad II Aqua Gloss in prep for decals and possibly a wash.

Back soon,

Ed

• Like 9

Okay, finally brought her home!

Here she is with decals, and an overcoat of  Alclad II Aqua Gloss to seal the decals and provide a base for a slight water-based black wash, to pop out a few panels:

spacer.png

The small antenna have been added here and there, as well as the pitot under the right wing tip where the old ID lights were covered up, as well as the boom on the left fuel tank.

The next view shows the 3 major omissions in the kit, the lack of yellow prop markings , the two landing lights, and that missing under-wing pitot barely seen below:

spacer.png

All missing parts from my spares box.  One sad note, of the two landing lights I found, one flew off into Never-Never Land.  If I ever find it, I'' glue it on later.  I top-coated the canopy with a hand-brushed layer of Aqua Gloss.  In the pictures it looks cloudy, but it is much better in real life.  Maybe I'll try polishing it a bit when I have more time.  For now, that's it!  As probably the last "Mustang" ever, it is a welcome addition to the collection.  A few more pictures coming up, when I figure out where to put them.

Thanks for looking in...

Ed

• Like 8

Thanks everyone, for the kind comments.  I bought this kit the instant I saw it on E-Bay a few months ago.  Like most, I didn't even know it existed!   If it were re-issued or continued with a little better word-of-mouth, I'm sure it would be a success, much like the re-issued PJ Productions F-84F...

Ed

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

That would be great!  If re-tooling, add the underwing pitot and the wingtip light lenses -- and double check that wing dihedral,  Might as well go ahead and make it a perfect kit!

Ed

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...