Mustang Mk. III 'Malcolm Hood'

Courageous

On 12/11/2019 at 12:12 PM, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good afternoon guys

Please May I  ask you to continue this very interesting discussion in the dedicated section of this STGB ? ..

Thank you

Patrice

Sorry, Patrice. My fault :(

20191221-204838-1.jpg

Started painting the internals, mainly using the painting instructions, still in progress. I/P decal on but will need trimming. The kick boards were initially painted with a sand colour, varnished, then had a coat of Burnt Umber oil paint before doing the worn rubber.

Stuart

• Like 4

Not much to do on the Crimbo front today, so this morning I've been hitting the 'III'. First, I painted the kick-boards black and when dry, everything got a wash with Games Workshop Nuln Oil. When the wash was dry, I reapplied the base colours as highlights in certain areas, just enough to give it some definition.

20191224-101637-1.jpg

Decks and I/P in.

20191224-102737-1.jpg

Armoured back and pump handle in. I modified the control column grip from USAF to RAF style using a bit wire and that was fitted too.

20191224-112836-1.jpg

Didn't like the decal option for the seat belts, so made a set from thick metal foil. Painted them with Vallejo khaki, removing the paint where the metalwork should be. Fitted them to the seat and whacked the seat into place.

20191224-114908-1.jpg

Sorry for the over-exposure but I've got this bright sunshine stuff blasting through my window. Anyhoo, fuselage halves joined and now drying.

Stuart

• Like 13

52 minutes ago, Ratch said:

Good work

Cheers Ratch, much appreciated.

Making hay while the sun shines is what they say and that is what I'm doing.

20191224-181601-1.jpg

Legs, feet and doors done. Primed the propeller and painted the tips white, ready to receive the yellow when the time comes.

Stuart

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

Wonderful detail work Stuart, especially the foil belts, very cool.

Cheers Cookie. I used to do belts with masking tape until a mate mentioned using foil. Will be interesting to see how it works for intricate jet harnesses.

Stuart

• Like 1

After first having to diagnose the fault with the recent cooker oven, it was time for a little time in the cave.

20191228-144016-1.jpg

Wings on but starboard wing needed a little shim to bring it level with the wing root fairings, port side is good.

20191228-144137-1.jpg

Some tidying up to do underneath, nothing too strenuous. Their was something bugging me about this view. I believe that the main doors are the wrong shape, shouldn't the front edges curve backwards as they move towards the centre?

Stuart

• Like 9

On ‎28‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 14:53, Courageous said:

After first having to diagnose the fault with the recent cooker oven, it was time for a little time in the cave.

Wings on but starboard wing needed a little shim to bring it level with the wing root fairings, port side is good.

Some tidying up to do underneath, nothing too strenuous. Their was something bugging me about this view. I believe that the main doors are the wrong shape, shouldn't the front edges curve backwards as they move towards the centre?

Stuart

I reckon you are right, Stuart. I hadn't noticed on mine. Sadly its rather late for me (and you ) to do anything about it :(. Bugger! What did you decide about the canopy? A vac form?

Martin

Edited by Julien
Please dont quote pictures
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Sadly its rather late for me (and you ) to do anything about it

At this stage, I think it is still doable; chop off a corner from each main door and glue it into its respective whole and make good :hmmm:.

7 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

What did you decide about the canopy? A vac form?

With you helpful donation to the cause, I will cut out the hood, fill it with Milliput and vac a couple.

Stuart

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Courageous said:

At this stage, I think it is still doable; chop off a corner from each main door and glue it into its respective whole and make good :hmmm:.

With you helpful donation to the cause, I will cut out the hood, fill it with Milliput and vac a couple.

Stuart

True, thats doable. I will have to keep that in mind when I get to it. I'm glad the canopy is working out mate. 

Martin

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Courageous said:

Didn't the extened LE appear with the Merlin, so that would include the P-51 B/C (Mustang II)?

All Mustangs up to the D had a small shallow root extension as per the kit you're building. From the D onwards the extension was much deeper at the fuselage, bringing the leading edge further forward at a steeper angle as per the Airfix D kits being built here. The main doors have the same length hinge line, but where the original doors have parallel sides, the D doors curve forwards into the deeper root extension.

Some kits eg the Hasegawa B/C have the wrong later D type larger wing root extension, KP/AZ got it right.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

After a lazy week where the mojo got up and left, it has returned and time for a little update.

20200112-121240.jpg

If I can, i like to pose my aircraft on the ground with the canopy open but with this kit the glazing came as one piece. After Martin ( @RidgeRunner ) kindly donated a canopy, I filled its innards with Milliput and used it as a plug  to produce a Vacform one and cut out the Malcom hood. The original kit part was cut up into its three parts, the hood discarded and the front and rear glazing fitted to the fuselage. Once the glue is dry, I'll mask, do a little PPP and then we'll see where we are.

Stuart

• Like 11

Top job on the malcom hood stuart, looks to have turned out well , I've always fancied either building or buying a vac machine, but i reckon  my next accessory purchase is going to be one of those die cutting machines like a cricut,or similar,

Mrs hewys interested in craft stuff , and I've  just about convinced her she needs one 🤗

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Too much going on...

20200122-220322-1.jpg

Glazing masked and frames painted interior green before moving to paint. Has been a while since I've painted D-Day stripes and wondered where to start. So, white is on, bound to have forgotten some part or other.

Stuart

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Looking good Stuart, and the vacuform canopy is excellent, a skill that's beyond me for sure.

Cheers Cookie. Vacuforming is just another skill to learn, I've used existing canopies to get what I need, the real skill is in 'making' the former.

The white needed another coat before I was happy. Hopefully, tomorrow I'll get the sky band and yellow leading edges done.

Stuart

• Like 1

Caught up with your thread Stuart!

Looks like a very nice kit. From the sprue shots it looks as good or better than the Academy P-51B I'm making, and certainly the Hasegawa that has 'D' wings. I guess you've been busy with your other builds lately.

Cheers,

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Johnson said:

Looks like a very nice kit. From the sprue shots it looks as good or better than the Academy P-51B I'm making, and certainly the Hasegawa that has 'D' wings. I guess you've been busy with your other builds lately.

No gripes about this kit so far. I think this kit has a little more detail in the cockpit. More depth to the wheel wells.

As to build rate, mainly down to my own fault with my imposed deadlines. I'm wanting two models finished for our next club meeting and obviously we have have the GB deadline. So, I have four ponies on the go, a racer and a sub, all wanting attention.

Stuart

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Got my paints, so off we go.

20200126-130816.jpg

Masks added for the invasion stripes. Leading edges painted with RAF/ FAA yellow (ACRN21)  and rear identity band also painted with MAP Sky Type 'S' (ACRN01) enamel paints from Colourcoats. I will let them harden before masking them and next will be the undersides.

Stuart

• Like 10