Hi All. Decided to put my 2p's worth in here with KP's offering of a Mk.III

Obligatory shots:

20191209-190707-1.jpg

20191209-190810-1.jpg

Sprue 1

20191209-190825-1.jpg

Sprue 2

20191209-190920.jpg

Options for three aircraft and closed canopy, pity.

20191209-191016-1.jpg

Do we look at these...

20191209-191216-1.jpg

Three options. Haven't decided yet but I'm leaning away from yellow/ black spinner as getting that right scares me, so it's either D-Day or not.

Haven't researched any of this, so I don't know about kit accuracy and I've never built a KP kit.

Stuart

• Like 13

Good morning Stuart

Good choice the KP Mustang kit is very nice but it is a "short run" kit and will require attention when assembling because as you may have already noticed it lacks the usual positionning holes and pins ...

All the best

Patrice

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

short run

Lots of experience with them Patrice...

4 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

fin fillet

I just knew that somebody was going to pull this gremlin into the mix but with a I, IA and II all wanting to be built at some stage, I'll be needing to know what I need to do Martin :poke:.

3 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

purchases towards the Academy kit

I have these too but saving them for earlier versions.

Stuart

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Courageous said:

I just knew that somebody was going to pull this gremlin into the mix but with a I, IA and II all wanting to be built at some stage, I'll be needing to know what I need to do Martin :poke:.

I've never built one, Stuart, but happy to learn .... ;)

Martin

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

'm interested as I need to build a B with a fin fillet. It'll mean combining two KP kits, though. :)

@Courageous. Stuart, as you have the two - KP and Academy, which is the better kit? I ask because I see that Academy do/did a P-51C with the fin fillet. I guess I can get that to be a B?

Thanks,

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

1 hour ago, RidgeRunner said:

@Courageous. Stuart, as you have the two - KP and Academy, which is the better kit? I ask because I see that Academy do/did a P-51C with the fin fillet. I guess I can get that to be a B?

Martin, The KP kit has been re-issued by AZ Models and is available with and without the fin fillet, and with standard or Malcolm canopy

The KP kit looks slightly better in detail and accuracy, but the Academy kit will no doubt be the easier build, comes with both types of canopy, and underwing pylons/droptanks/bazookas, you just need the right boxing vis with/without fin fillet.

There's no real difference between a B and a C except where they were built (B's at Inglewood, C's at Dallas), they were all Mustang III's to the RAF.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Dave Swindell said:

Martin, The KP kit has been re-issued by AZ Models and is available with and without the fin fillet, and with standard or Malcolm canopy

The KP kit looks slightly better in detail and accuracy, but the Academy kit will no doubt be the easier build, comes with both types of canopy, and underwing pylons/droptanks/bazookas, you just need the right boxing vis with/without fin fillet.

There's no real difference between a B and a C except where they were built (B's at Inglewood, C's at Dallas), they were all Mustang III's to the RAF.

Hi Dave, 

That is really helpful, thanks. I'll stick out for an AZ/KP I reckon. I've loked a few Academys online and they appear to have long reach maingear, or is that my eyes playing tricks?I am in no hurry, although I suppose I could build it as part of the STGB. It would be Dominican.

By the way, as I have you "on line", can I ask about the spinners. The Tamiya F-51D kit offers two types - one for the Hamilton prop and one for the Aero. I wasn't aware until recently of the different. It seems - according to Tamiya, that the longer spinner goes wth the cuffed prop. is that correct?

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

6 minutes ago, Courageous said:

I've been a 'numpty'. I misread 'fin fillet' and wing root fillet :doh: which I believe is a constant headache when trying to build an Alison engined 'Pony'...

Stuart

No, mate. It is the fin fillet I need. It would be for a B/C Dominican. If I can get my act together I might do it for this STGB.

Edit: Looking at the AZ P-51B "dorsal fin" it looks like it might have two canopy options. It also looks like it has separate flaps and ailerons. :)

Martin

PS: any fixer yet?

Edited by RidgeRunner

2 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

By the way, as I have you "on line!, can I ask about the spinners. The Tamiya F-51D kit offers two types - one for the Hamilton prop and one for the Aero. I wasn't aware until recently of the different. It seems - according to Tamiya, that the longer spinner goes wth the cuffed prop. is that correct?

Not sure about different spinners, D's were built at both Inglewood and Dallas and were fitted with Hamilton cuffed propellers, K's were all built at Dallas and differed only in the fitting of the Aeroproducts uncuffed propeller.

D's were RAF Mustang IV's, K's were RAF Mustang IVa's

I haven't seen the Tamiya kit, but the instructions on Scalemates only show the Hamilton cuffed propeller?

Thanks Dave. The Tamiya F-51D has both props and spinners. I have photos of aircraft - same aircraft - with both types of prop! Confused!

Sorry for hijacking your thread, Stuart! @Courageous !

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 1

Dear All,

I'd agree with all of the above. Both the Academy and KP kits are good. The Academy has the option of an open original style canopy: I think this is the only P-51B/C kit that offers that. The Malcolm hood in the Academy kit, however, is terrible. So, if you want the Malcolm hood, I do think you're better with the KP.

Alan 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Angus Tura said:

So, if you want the Malcolm hood, I do think you're better with the KP.

Thanks Alan. It is a standard canopy that I need, but I also need the fin fillet. 

Martin

4 hours ago, JosephLalor said:

I'm ready to be put right here but I believe that the square-tipped props in the Tamiya F-51D are uncuffed Hamilton-Standards rather than Aeroproducts.  Must check the kit when I get home.

Maybe. The un-cuffed props of the real aircraft in my latest builds had Hamilton-Standard logos on them! 

Martin

28 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

Maybe. The un-cuffed props of the real aircraft in my latest builds had Hamilton-Standard logos on them! 

Martin

Yes, the Hamilton Standard props lost the cuff later in life, the Aeroproducts props have never been an option in any Tamiya 1/72 Mustang, and a rare addition in some Hasegawa boxings.

2 minutes ago, Graeme H said:

Yes, the Hamilton Standard props lost the cuff later in life, the Aeroproducts props have never been an option in any Tamiya 1/72 Mustang, and a rare addition in some Hasegawa boxings.

Ah ha, so the Tamiya instruction sheet is wrong! Thanks Graeme

Well, I shall officially kick this out of the starting gate.

20191216-210700.jpg

With the exception of the fiddly, delicate parts, everything is off the sprue and cleaned up. Then, some parts had a shot of primer and I can now start thinking of what gets painted with what or what can be corrected/ enhanced.

Stuart

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

how the KP/AZ kit goes together.

Cheers Cookie, me too. A quick inspection of the parts, I find good detail, narrow sprue gates and no flash, whether it's correct, time will tell. I'm quite impressed for a limited run kit although the lack of locating pins is a bit annoying but I'm used to that.

Stuart