Fairey Gannet AS.4

The Fairey Gannet is an aircraft of the Cold War era developed for the Fleet Air Arm (FAA) of the Royal Navy. The Gannet was originally developed to meet the FAA's dual-role anti-submarine warfare and strike requirement. The prototype first flew on 19 September 1949 and made the first deck landing by a turboprop aircraft, on HMS Illustrious on 19 June 1950, by pilot Lieutenant Commander G. Callingham. It was a mid-wing monoplane with a tricycle undercarriage, and a double turboprop engine, the Armstrong-Siddeley Double Mamba 100, driving two contra-rotating propellers.  After a further change in operational requirements, with the addition of a radar and extra crew member, the type entered production in 1953 and initial deliveries were made of the variant designated AS.1 at RNAS Ford in April 1954 entering service in January 1955. A trainer variant (T.2) WN365 first flew in August 1954. The RN's first operational Gannet squadron (826 NAS) was embarked on HMS Eagle. The initial order was for 100 AS.1 aircraft. 
The Mamba created 2,950 h.p. It could fly at 310 m.p.h. Service ceiling 25,000 ft. Range 943 miles with a crew of three. Armaments were 16 x 60 lbs. rocket projectiles and two homing torpedoes, depth charges or mines and a crew of three. It was later adapted for operations as an electronic countermeasures and carrier onboard delivery aircraft. A total of 348 Gannets were built, of which 44 were the heavily modified AEW.3. Production was shared between Fairey's factories at Hayes, Middlesex and Heaton Chapel, Stockport / Manchester (Ringway) Airport. By the mid-1960s, the AS.1s and AS.4s had been replaced by the Westland Whirlwind HAS.7 helicopters.
This is the 1970 boxing of the Frog kit originally issued in 1956 © Rovex-Triang.
49194140871_79e8700fde_c.jpg
49193639363_0a4b0cc729_c.jpg
49194140856_ede5b794ce_c.jpg
49193639428_4ccb49a4a4_c.jpg
49194338867_9ff605f38b_c.jpg
49194140936_9ca02f86de_c.jpg
49194338727_8011e34d20_c.jpg
49194140801_73ced0500e_c.jpg
49194140796_54c7b3c2ae_c.jpg
49193639388_d4561418c4_c.jpg
49194338707_41449e0b0a_c.jpg

• Like 44

Having just picked up a handful of frog kits, and currently working on a kit about 3 decades newer, i was a bit worried about going to "the land before engraved panel detail" - however you've got a cracking result on this Gannet and its boosted my confidence ill be able to make something reasonable in the end! :D 

• Thanks 1

Very nice.  I recently added one of these to my stash.  You have certainly given me the encouragement that a decent model can be made from the kit; if only I can match your skill level.

Graeme

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

That looks superb! Did you use any aftermarket stuff or straight from the box? 

Just shows what can be achieved with an ancient kit, I might have to get one of these. 

Thanks, straight from the box :winkgrin:

Build log here:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Ratch,

great show! Is this the kit with the crew's heads on a platter?

I really like what your take and the result just doesn't show its age,

This tends to prove that the best soups are made in the old saucepans.... or something like that!!!

Congrats

JR

• Thanks 1

Amazing what can be done with old kits.....I have one similar, cut the pilots out, installed undercarriage bays, wing fold, list is endless - oh, also aeroclub update kit, then I lost interest, it sits on the shelf of doom...…...glad to see you persisted, looks good.

PS You should put your decals on right?  815 Sqdns harp was on the outer upper finlets, not on the tail.

Check out the kit  :

http://www.finescale.com/product-info/kit-reviews/2008/11/revell-germany-1-72-scale-fairey-gannet-as1-4

Hi...….Looking at the decal sheet(if its Printscale PSL 72069)it does "appear" to be beneath the "R" on the fin, but look closely at the picture and it isn't...…...its on the finlet, and from the instruction sheet it says ""Harp" motif painted on both outer finlets, mirrored. Squadron chest under starboard cockpit. Type D roundels in all six positions."  I have plenty of photos showing this(I never post photos on Britmodeller))and I am sure you will find plenty of "harps" on Gannet finlets of 815 Sqdn if you google for it.

Its a common enough decal for the Gannet model, I am sure that somebody on Britmodeller will have a spare pair if you put up a new thread, other than that, I do like your paintwork, its very tidy. :clap:

• 1 month later...