This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Bullbasket

Photos in RFI threads.

Sticking my head up above the parapet here and fully expecting to get it shot at, but here goes. With the recent posts about people who keep quoting sections of other peoples threads and include loads of photos, all over again, I thought that I'd chuck in this radical suggestion (although this wouldn't stop the persistent photo quoters). How about restricting the number of photos that you can upload for an RFI to something like 15. The reason that I'm suggesting this is sometimes there are umpteen photos taken from almost the same angle, with just a degree or two of variation. No reflection on the models in question, as most of them are exemplary, but be honest, how many almost identical photos do you need to see of an aircraft/tank/truck etc? I try to take four three quarter shots, each side, front and rear and then a few close ups. Hopefully that means that anyone viewing them hasn't lost interest half way through.

John.:bandit:

I normally stick to 5 or 6 max.

For me less is more...…………...……….

plus with my models you need soft focus in a dim room. :whistle:

Dick

Not a bad idea but the issue is with people constantly quoting those dozens of original photos just to say "nice!".

That's what does my head in, not the original poster showing his work.

Jeff

7 minutes ago, pinky coffeeboat said:

but the issue is with people constantly quoting those dozens of original photos just to say "nice!".

That's exactly it.  There's no point in restricting people's photos (which is just as unenforcable) just to stop people doing a huge photo-quote ending with "good job".  It would be better to educate people on the use of the correct methods of posting.  It's a piece of cake, and even if you need to quote the text to reference your comment, you can easily do that without including a hoarde of photos.  Just tap/click on each photo and hit delete.  Remove any remaining white space and any of the text that's not relevant, then click below the quote box and type your reply.  Dead easy :yes:

1 minute ago, Mike said:

Just tap/click on each photo and hit delete.  Remove any remaining white space and any of the text that's not relevant, then click outside the quote box and type your reply. 

there is also the handy option, where you use the cursor to highlight a block of text, and then a small "quote selection" box pops up, which is how I did the above.

The problem with the quoting is people also hitting the "quote" , which quotes the entire post, as opposed to just using typing in the reply box. 

this even gets a FAQ post

Bless the mods for their patience....

any possibility you could mess with the code pr use admin rights to stop it automatically adding images into peoples quotes?  Im sure for the amount of times its needed, most people wouldn't mind manually re-adding any images as specifically required.  If you could specifically limit this to a few of the subtopics such as RFI, would be even better.

But my knowledge of the underlying mechanics of forums is like 10+ years old, phpBB era, i have no idea what gubbins runs BM! 

I can see what John means,having to scroll through 25/30 plus photo's some of which are just a slightly different angle gets a bit monotonous...

Copy and paste any text also works, but can be a bit fiddly on some mobile devices. I try to restrict the number of photos I put on an RFI, simply because uploading them before I post them onto a thread is something I find tedious and the five or six I post in a RFI is enough I reckon for most 1/72nd stuff I make. 

If you don't like multiple near identical photos of a model in RFI, why not leave a comment like: "Sorry, you lost my attention, too many similar photos."

It is a polite constructive comment, so seems legitimate feedback. Poster's will soon get the message.

Edited by 3DStewart

I would also ask that members do more than leaving the completed model on the workbench. You want to show it off to its best, surely, and while I know that not everybody is blessed with an abundance of space it takes very little to create a simple, plain backdrop to enable the focus to be on the model and not on anything else.

1 hour ago, 3DStewart said:

Poster's will soon get the message.

I doubt that very much. If that were the case, then we'd be seeing less of people posting threads about models in Help and Support, less people quoting dozens of photos only to say "Nice", and people resizing their photos down to a reasonable size, so that they would open straight away......but we don't because I'm afraid some people don't listen.

1 minute ago, Bullbasket said:

I doubt that very much. If that were the case, then we'd be seeing less of people posting threads about models in Help and Support, less people quoting dozens of photos only to say "Nice", and people resizing their photos down to a reasonable size, so that they would open straight away......but we don't because I'm afraid some people don't listen.

There's an element of that, but I think we also have to accept that some people just aren't "computer savvy". What seems a simple task to us can be difficult for others if they don't have the knowledge, hence the number of queries in Help and Support and the other issues. The platform that people use to access the forum will play a part as well - a smartphone, for example. I'm still getting to grips with how mine works, let alone how to post and edit images on it!:huh:

Mike.

1 hour ago, MikeR said:

There's an element of that, but I think we also have to accept that some people just aren't "computer savvy". What seems a simple task to us can be difficult for others if they don't have the knowledge, hence the number of queries in Help and Support and the other issues. The platform that people use to access the forum will play a part as well - a smartphone, for example. I'm still getting to grips with how mine works, let alone how to post and edit images on it!

Whilst I agree with most of what you say Mike, I can't help but wonder about some people when it comes to the Help and Support issue. It says in big red letters NOT for model related issues. But still they keep coming. But I take your point about some people not being computer savvy, because I'm not smart phone savvy. No way could you call my phone "smart"....not when it cost £1.99. I do all of my internet on my laptop.

John.

6 hours ago, MikeR said:

There's an element of that, but I think we also have to accept that some people just aren't "computer savvy". What seems a simple task to us can be difficult for others if they don't have the knowledge, hence the number of queries in Help and Support and the other issues. The platform that people use to access the forum will play a part as well - a smartphone, for example. I'm still getting to grips with how mine works, let alone how to post and edit images on it!:huh:

Mike.

And therein lies part of the problem. So many people are using cellphones for everything instead of a PC or laptop and they're having a hard time trying to access and use this and other forums properly. They post wee tiny photos that look fine on a phone screen but are barely visible on my 23" PC monitor. During the wildfire evacuation 3 years ago, I did figure out how to get on here and elsewhere, using my IPad, but it took a bit. I would never consider using my IPhone. The screen is way too small for my to see much, even with my reading glasses.

Chris

Simplest thing to do is remind the “quoter” of the correct netiquette and ask them to refrain from it in future posts. We can’t be everywhere at once, what we can do is time consuming to edit ourselves and difficult on a phone if we are away from a desktop. The simplest option for us would be to delete the whole post ;)