Spruce Goose

Andy350

This was something that was picked up a very long while ago, we only found when bringing down the Christmas decorations.  No decals or instructions.  Was going to bin, but I thought why not build.  Very simple build.  Had a big crack down the fuselage, but repaired that easily enough.  Most of the parts were very bent, the plastic is very soft, so with the use of super glue and weights it looks straight enough now.

I believe the colour was a white/grey, but I've seen a few completed in a light aluminium colour.

49192483766_e835d83ccf_b.jpg

49192490136_805448cd2a_b.jpg

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

Very nice, don't see navy of these getting built

There was one in the competition at Telford, but done up in the decals for the Iron Maiden 747 and called the Iron Goose! It looked very good, but then I’m an Iron Maiden fan, too.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Whofan said:

There was one in the competition at Telford, but done up in the decals for the Iron Maiden 747 and called the Iron Goose! It looked very good, but then I’m an Iron Maiden fan, too.

That sounds like a great idea for a model, any photos of it?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

Very nice, don't see navy of these getting built

It was a massive feat of engineering, and really bonkers.  The logistics of this aircraft were crazy.  You really have to wonder where the Hughes Aircraft Company thought this would be used?  I went to see this when it was in a hanger in San Diego, the wings are massive, but it's also the size of the fuselage.

It was a beautiful machine and a credit to what could be achieved when focusing on primarily wooden construction, but i would have certainly had my concerns over long flights and a regular flight regime. There was so much subcontracting involved to get the components made, and most of the wooden sub-assemblies were made from companies that had come from previously making furniture. Unfortunately a Wingback chair and wing section experience quite different loads and conditions, and delamination of parts at 5000ft could be rather catastrophic!

But the SIZE! - seeing this beauty is on my to-do list if i ever get round to visiting the states

493998998_27c234ea88_z.jpg
Working on this in the 40s must have been quite an experience! 

Far better to save it than bin it!  Seeing as you found it at Christmas, whilst looking for Christmas decorations, you could always consider some kind of Festive theme......get some LEDs in there for a bit of glow! 

Santa had 8 reindeer....... and i believe i am seeing 8 engines........ coincidence? I think not ;) 

Edited by Kushan_Farsight
grammar and cool pic in construction
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Kushan_Farsight said:

It was a beautiful machine and a credit to what could be achieved out of a wooden machine, but i would have certainly had my concerns over long flights and a regular flight regime. there was so much subcontracting involved to get the components made, and most of the wooden sub-assemblies were made from companies that had come from previously making furniture. Unfortunately a Wingback chair and wing section experience quite different loads and conditions, and delamination of parts at 5000ft could be rather catastrophic!

Far better to save it than bin it!  Seeing as you found it at Christmas, whilst looking for Christmas decorations, you could always consider some kind of Festive theme......get some LEDs in there for a bit of glow! 

Santa had 8 reindeer....... and i believe i am seeing 8 engines........ coincidence? I think not ;) 

Great idea.  I've closed it up now, bit of a shame!!  

11 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

That sounds like a great idea for a model, any photos of it?

Adam, I did take a photo of it, will post it later when I get home.

Here's the photo I took;

SAM_8831

Edited by Whofan
  • Like 8

30 minutes ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Can you tell me scale and kit manufacturer Andy? I don't think I have seen one of these before, I was only aware of the 1/200 Minicraft kit and the 1/72 Amodel? monster

Oh, and nice start (or is it progress?) :D

I'm not too sure, Here is a pic of the box, priced up for the USA market.  This is 1/200, 48cm wide, nearly as wide as the 1/72 Nimrod.

49195420108_8350a2df5a_b.jpg

49195883851_81b1957308_b.jpg

49195377718_6cc50e481a_b.jpg

• Like 7

I have seen photos of a 1/200 boxing by Entex, who might have molded it originally, as well as one by Wrather Port Properties, Ltd, which looks like it is the Entex kit reboxed. Maybe the Minicraft release is also from the Entex molds? If turboprop engines had been advanced and reliable enough, they would have made the HK-1 a much more viable aircraft, but the tides of war and the lateness of its completion doomed it to be a one-off.

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
corrected spelling
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Andy350 said:

I've seen a few completed in a light aluminium colour.

I concur.  My guess would have been Aluminum Dope for the original.  What an engineering feat.  I'm sure Hughes never intended for it to be more than a one-off example of craziness.  Even then, metal aircraft were the thing to build regardless of size!

Looking very good!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Moa said:

Howard Hughes is turning in his grave...

I should think so too, everyone knows it should be adorned with Sex Pistols logos! :tomato:

Martian (Still a punk at heart) 👽

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

I should think so too, everyone knows it should be adorned with Sex Pistols logos! :tomato:

Martian (Still a punk at heart) 

Unbelievable, and then people ask why we pick on you.

You defilers, defacers and defenestrators of pure beauty.

And with those cacophonies, nonetheless.

I run to soak my brain in Arvo Pärt and Erik Satie to forget what I have seen and read.

😫

Ts-ts-ts.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Martian Hale said:

Martian (Still a punk at heart) 👽

Oh, that IS a good idea!

However, seeing as it's a flying BOAT, and was built in SoCal, methinks the Surf Punks are a better fit.

And now I'm humming "Too Big......." which seems appropriate for  such a monster plane!

• Like 1

Oh, and to get back on topic, I know a lot of the old Entex molds did eventually wind up with Minicraft.  However, Minicraft did update many, and even re-did some.  I have no idea if the current kit is actually from the same tool as this old gem.

You pondered the color... I photographed the Spruce Goose a couple years ago and hope these might be of some use in making a decision.

spacer.png

-

spacer.png

-

spacer.png

-

spacer.png

-

spacer.png

interior...

spacer.png

-

spacer.png

staircase up to the command deck (sorry about reflections off of plexi shielding)

spacer.png

Hope these help.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 12/10/2019 at 1:57 PM, 72modeler said:

one by Wrather Port Properties, Ltd, which looks like it is the Entex kit reboxed.

With that W. P. P. LTD under the wing, you may be on to something there.

Hughes would only be turning over because everyone persists in calling it the Spruce Goose. By all accounts, he hated that nickname, given that it was coined as a pejorative.

• Like 2