1/72 Kawasaki Ki-61-Id Hien, Tamiya+Eduard

Fuad

One great Hien. You see many in this guise but yours has a unique touch of reality. Wasn't this one of Kobayashi's mounts? At least that's what most sources state.

Ho, hum-yet another Fuad masterpiece. Flawless assembly. paint, and weathering, but I would like to see one done in another scheme besides Kobayashi's Hien, but it is the best-known and  most colorful. This in no way should be construed as being critical of your work, Fuad- just my personal opinion. From what I have read and seen of this kit, it looks like it goes together as flawlessly as their 1/72 Thunderbolts and Corsairs. Looks like you got the wheel bay color spot on and the doped fabric on the ailerons, too- nice touch!

Mike

13 hours ago, Toryu said:

Один великий Хиен. Вы видите многих в этом облике, но у вас есть уникальное прикосновение реальности. Разве это не была одна из лошадей Кобаяши? По крайней мере, так утверждают большинство источников.

I also made a Kobayashi airplane. It's a little different.

01.jpg

1 hour ago, 72modeler said:

... but I would like to see one done in another scheme besides Kobayashi's Hien, but it is the best-known and  most colorful. This in no way should be construed as being critical of your work, Fuad- just my personal opinion. From what I have read and seen of this kit, it looks like it goes together as flawlessly as their 1/72 Thunderbolts and Corsairs. Looks like you got the wheel bay color spot on and the doped fabric on the ailerons, too- nice touch!

Mike

I just destroy stocks of my models in 72nd, Mike)). They are still enough for one year of work.

• Like 1

Dear Fuad, sorry if I appear obtrusive. Here is the background that I could ascertain:

Maj. Kobayashi called at least two Ki-61-Id, one Ki-61-Ib and a Ki-100b his own, how many others he flew according to availability is unknown.

#4424 of your topic was his primary mount from December 1944 to April 1945. It has a colourful history of different markings. (1) Camouflaged with green mottle it had a white horizontal and vertical stripe, (2) stripped of all camouflage it seemed to have been adorned with the same stripes in red, (3) in March again mottled - this time a little differently - it still sported the red stripes but the characters on the rudder were added, finally (4) the stripes appear to have changed to blue. There is indeed some indication that this Hien was assigned to Lt. Takashima in May, but I would raise some doubts if this was not for just a short period in April because the airplane vanishes from records then. I consider it possible that Kobayashi baled out of this aircraft on 12 April after having been damaged in a B-29 attack.

#295 - your other model - is a Ki-61-Ib that Kobayashi flew in January as his second assigned aircraft (squadron leaders sometimes 'owned' more than one personal plane). He successfully rammed a B-29 with it on 27 January.

From May on, Kobayashi used Ki-61-Id #5262 and a Ki-100b alternatingly, both painted in the late war olive-brown factory camouflage.

I hope this summary elucidates the history  your two excellent models.

Cheers, Michael

Sources

- Sakurai Takashi - Hien Fighter Group, A Pictorial History of the 244th Sentai

- Hata, Izawa, Shores - Japanese Army Air Force Fighter Units And Their Aces

- Nicholas Millman - Ki-61 and Ki-100 Aces

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Toryu said:

Dear Fuad, sorry if I appear obtrusive. Here is the background that I could ascertain:

Maj. Kobayashi called at least two Ki-61-Id, one Ki-61-Ib and a Ki-100b his own, how many others he flew according to availability is unknown.

#4424 of your topic was his primary mount from December 1944 to April 1945. It has a colourful history of different markings. (1) Camouflaged with green mottle it had a white horizontal and vertical stripe, (2) stripped of all camouflage it seemed to have been adorned with the same stripes in red, (3) in March again mottled - this time a little differently - it still sported the red stripes but the characters on the rudder were added, finally (4) the stripes appear to have changed to blue. There is indeed some indication that this Hien was assigned to Lt. Takashima in May, but I would raise some doubts if this was not for just a short period in April because the airplane vanishes from records then. I consider it possible that Kobayashi baled out of this aircraft on 12 April after having been damaged in a B-29 attack.

#295 - your other model - is a Ki-61-Ib that Kobayashi flew in January as his second assigned aircraft (squadron leaders sometimes 'owned' more than one personal plane). He successfully rammed a B-29 with it on 27 January.

From May on, Kobayashi used Ki-61-Id #5262 and a Ki-100b alternatingly, both painted in the late war olive-brown factory camouflage.

I hope this summary elucidates the history  your two excellent models.

Cheers, Michael

Sources

- Sakurai Takashi - Hien Fighter Group, A Pictorial History of the 244th Sentai

- Hata, Izawa, Shores - Japanese Army Air Force Fighter Units And Their Aces

- Nicholas Millman - Ki-61 and Ki-100 Aces

Dear Michael and other mates,

From the height of my almost 50 years of age, I can only say one thing - everything that a human has ever said - are subjectively, because it can be argued. The only means of objective control is a video surveillance system with a clear fixation of time))).
Therefore, I very stupidly sign my models exclusively with the inscriptions indicated by the manufacturer. Sorry if I offended your intellect))).

58 minutes ago, Fuad said:

Sorry if I offended your intellect

Not at all Fuad. On this website we just strive for improvement of our modelling skills and our understanding of the historic situation, ambiguous as it may sometimes appear.

58 minutes ago, Fuad said:

From the height of my almost 50 years of age

I wish I still were so young!

• Like 2