Phönix D.I K.u.K. Kriegsmarine, Special Hobby 1/48

Hello,

I build some time ago the D.I  Special Hobby: Phönix D.I K.u.K. Kriegsmarine again in 1/48.
The plastic parts are somehow of short run quality, but really not bad! The kit comes even with PE and resin parts. I added some further details like Gaspatch turnbuckles and airspeed indicator, and wooden parts like airscrew and struts.
And this was my first model with a "rubber" rigging, painting of the light effects on the wing ribs and a wooden plated fuselage! It was a experiment and with a fail it would only be visible from below :coolio:

Painting was done with Gunze and Alclad.

Happy modeling,
Frank

galerie01.jpg

galerie03.jpg

galerie04.jpg

galerie05.jpg

galerie06.jpg

galerie07.jpg

galerie08.jpg

galerie10.jpg

The real wooden bottom side:
galerie11.jpg

galerie12.jpg

galerie13.jpg

galerie14.jpg

galerie15.jpg

galerie16.jpg

And a nice view:
galerie17.jpg

The curved front was the hardest part:
mFWHhtUSirwa58yCWI1nGhT9vDapWdQiVcjjvgMa

The resin cooler is really cool and was part of the kit, painted with Alclad:
dZ4RrN5XzceJbQETEcqWjn1-6OZrTkcWkd6uqoMD

The Gaspatch speed indicator ...
Yw8r53W0N9EIUWJmy8EgpMOxoxeZiVNzZw-ehfGJ

... was really in use:
MY2D7IHlUBoj4ahdbNWj2FOCeOEFhYAB7mQOqcS7

• Like 29

That is - very - nice, I must admit I find it turned out very fine as well (if we were in any kind of competition I'd give you the prize, to be honest - but lucky me, we aren't 😉 ), 

I must admit the speed indicator looks very fine and the exhaust pipes look way better than on my variant, Maybe these are a bit different, I have to check with my Marineflieger. At least I hope! Also I have to reconsider my decision of not using the gaspatch turnbuckles - do you still know which type you used?

But, yes, again: I'm impressed!

Thank you!

I put brass pins into the exhaust pipes:
resin08.jpg

The pins hold them already without glue!
resin09.jpg

I always use a mix of Gaspatch turnbuckles, here Anchor points, Albatros and One end. But type A and C are also often in use, see my latest Albatros W.4 here:

Cheers,

Frank

• Like 3

Very nicely done. The see-through linen effect is very cool. And the overall finish captures the almost other-worldliness of the Austro-Hungarian aircraft. 

How were the struts on this kit? Did they require pins? Did things line up without too many problems?

• Thanks 1

Thank you very much for your nice feedback :worthy:

12 hours ago, flarpen said:

Where did you get the prop and struts from?

From my workbench:coolio: I like to work with wood and nearly every of my modelsdownscaled originals has one. Mostly 1/48, only the Eduard Stripdown models are 1/72. For the latest build in that small scale my Fokker D.VIII got also a real wooden AXIAL airscrew.

12 hours ago, Reini78 said:

Good to see some Austrian stuff

Yes, and the wooden underside was a test, because I want to build a Lloyd one day plated with real wood. :nuts:

1 hour ago, SoftScience said:

How were the struts on this kit? Did they require pins?

Here the short-run nature is clearly visible:wall: I put always brass pins in my struts.

The N-struts do not fit to the holes! I hate to glue in something under pressure! I tried in a mounting frame, but it do not work.

So I made new ones from squezzed brass tubes with pins:
montage08.jpg

More scale compared to the kit part!
montage09.jpg

After black paint glued into fuselage. On this picture the paint needs to be repaired from the previous tries to use the kit struts.
montage10.jpg

My solution holds the upper wing without any support.
montage11.jpg

The outer wooden struts. The length according to model needs. No decals yet.
montage13.jpg

Cheers,

Frank

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

BRILLIANT strut work. 

What diameter tube do you use for 1/48 scale? I'm fighting with an Eduard kit right now, and I think the struts were made from dehydrated sugar crystal. I already snapped one in two different locations. 😡😡. This squeezed tube method looks promising. I presume you squeeze with a padded vice? 

What diameter tube do you use for 1/48 scale?

Hmm, can' really remember, what I used here. Beside my bench is a storage of the fine brass pipes (and some nickel silver) from Albion from 0.3mm up to 2.0mm in 0.1mm steps. So it depends on the aircraft - I use always the Windsock Datafiles as reference.

You can calculate it: circumference = π * 2 * r and if you half that (- thickness), you will get nearly the strut size. May be it is easier to take a short piece (0.8, 1.0, 1.1mm) and squezze it :D

I presume you squeeze with a padded vice?

In meantime a friend printed my some pads for the vice with a 3D printer.

But it is not that perfect as the tool, you can buy here, but only for 1/32: it converts 1.4mm tube into 1.6mm x 1.0mm brass struts

https://www.shapeways.com/product/N6N2WG6JA/1-32-fokker-d-vii-quot-strut-smasher-quot-tool

By the way, he sells also some nice louvre sets in different sizes:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/TG6GLJL6N/6mm-miniature-louvre-die-set

Cheers,

Frank

• Thanks 1