Airfix Jet Provost T3

Another one from the stash finished. Great kit to put together only let down by the now infamous dayglo decals. On the tip tanks they took about 6 or 7 applications of Microsol to conform to the curves, and i completely gave up on the wing leading edges after they cracked and disintegrated completely. Ended up spraying the wings with the closest match that i could. Doesn't look too bad from a distant and fills a gap in my 1960s RAF training collection nicely 🙂. Finished with Vallejo Model Color for the grey and Humbrol 207 for the dayglo touch up. Thanks for looking.

IMG_20191208_190542

IMG_20191208_185533

IMG_20191208_190943

With Matchbox Piston Provost....

IMG_20191208_190737

...and Airfix Vampire T.11....

IMG_20191208_190826

Collection building up nicely.....

IMG_20191208_190154

• Like 43

Very nice model of nice little kit apart from the dayglo decals. To get mine to settle I used the Daco red decal setting solution and soak the decal in really hot water before applying them. Made them a bit softer. Not the easiest decals I have ever applied, but I was pleased with the result. JP3s of 2FTS are ingrained in my memory as they were regulars overhead in the bit of Nottinghamshire where I lived at the time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That is a lovely collection of post war trainers and I’m guessing that the images have not done the fluorescent paint and decals any justice, it’s such a hard colour to photograph. That lot would make up one bright model cabinet shelf! 

Cheers and well modelled.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mr T said:

Very nice model of nice little kit apart from the dayglo decals. To get mine to settle I used the Daco red decal setting solution and soak the decal in really hot water before applying them. Made them a bit softer. Not the easiest decals I have ever applied, but I was pleased with the result. JP3s of 2FTS are ingrained in my memory as they were regulars overhead in the bit of Nottinghamshire where I lived at the time. 

Thanks for the tip on using hot water. I'll try that next time i get the same problem

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, MikeC said:

Very nicely done. 

I've found a good match for Dayglo is Vallejo Fluorescent Red (71.082) over a white undercoat. 

Yes i normally use that Vallejo paint, goes on really well with airbrush and is the best I've tried. All my other models in the collection were painted using that,  but for some reason when i was trying to blend in the wings with the decals it wasn't as good a match as the Humbrol colour.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

That is a lovely collection of post war trainers and I’m guessing that the images have not done the fluorescent paint and decals any justice, it’s such a hard colour to photograph. That lot would make up one bright model cabinet shelf! 

Cheers and well modelled.. Dave 

Cheers for the comments. No the photos haven't come out that well, i need to get some better lighting and take some more pics. I've got another couple of JPs lined up for more orange treatment!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, binbrook87 said:

Haha. Just the scheme I'm doing next!

Funnily enough, the colour looks nothing like that to the naked eye. No matter how much I try, I just can’t seem to capture the colour similar to the image below, which is pretty close to my kits finish.
Cheers.. Dave 

44581590160_7faecd8ace_b.jpg

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Funnily enough, the colour looks nothing like that to the naked eye. No matter how much I try, I just can’t seem to capture the colour similar to the image below, which is pretty close to my kits finish.
Cheers.. Dave 

44581590160_7faecd8ace_b.jpg

Yes it's a strange colour...not quite sure if it was the standard RAF dayglo or a special mix? Here's another photo which I'll be using for my reference. I may experiment with different primers to see what effect that has. Is that your JP red Pelicans model above? Excellent work, looks fantastic! 👍

1635587-large

• Like 2